Starting a band/gigs

PDA

View Full Version : Starting a band/gigs

NnjRik
12-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok here is the scoop. Me and two of my buds are starting a band soon, I have other friends who are in bands, but they play mostly open mics. I am in high school and so bars are kinda out of the question. Aside from open mics what other options do we as a band have for gigging? like coffee shops etc.?

Thanks for any help

jthm_guitarist
12-30-2007, 12:26 AM
School talent show. That's only once a year though...
Birthday parties?

Don't Panic Ok?
12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm in high school I play bars, coffee houses, festivals, fund raisers, some local joints that are music oriented (from where I am there are The Underground, Bogarts, Whitewash, The Posion Room, Top Cats, The Madhatter, etc.) and parties. Generally play anywhere you can make some connections and you can get around.

NnjRik
12-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice

axemanchris
12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
House parties, seriously. They're better attended, and the audience is generally more enthusiastic than most clubs that book indie bands.

CT

freshtunes
12-31-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm 16 and also in high school. All the bands around here (north of Boston) rent out halls, put a few bands on the bill, and charge 5 or 10 bucks, usually no more than 10, for a ticket.

godisasniper
01-01-2008, 09:21 PM
I live near boston also (Cambridge!) and often bands in our area, like the guy above, organize their own gigs. They're often in school gyms and churches, and usually most of the money goes to charity. They often have 4-5 bands and 100-200 people show up. It's great because those shows are where people can meet each other and start bands. My friend organized a charity concert last year, and the headlining band liked one of the other bands so much that they merged.