Extremely annoying problem...

PDA

View Full Version : Extremely annoying problem...

geetarguy92
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Well I'm in a rock band and we have just started to record some songs. But the thing is whenever I play the guitar parts for recording I always screw up. Whenever we are practicing I hardly ever screw up and even if I do its not a noticable mistake. But the way I played on these recordings has made me sound like I am a mediocre guitarist and that is something I really do not want as I know I am a good player and should be doing better. Do you think its just nerves or a problem with my actual playing because I do not want this to happen again. Also my singer seems to think we are a metal band and on a softer song he put in a growl...how can I tell him to wisen up about that as well?Thanks for any replies

Hdap101
12-30-2007, 10:43 AM
it's just nerves. Hell, when i started recording, i screwed up paranoid ffs.
anyway, just say 'we ain't metal, stop growling you silly bugger'. that should do.

postmortem2006
12-30-2007, 10:45 AM
^ what he said

weemansyndrome
12-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Well I'm in a rock band and we have just started to record some songs. But the thing is whenever I play the guitar parts for recording I always screw up. Whenever we are practicing I hardly ever screw up and even if I do its not a noticable mistake. But the way I played on these recordings has made me sound like I am a mediocre guitarist and that is something I really do not want as I know I am a good player and should be doing better. Do you think its just nerves or a problem with my actual playing because I do not want this to happen again. Also my singer seems to think we are a metal band and on a softer song he put in a growl...how can I tell him to wisen up about that as well?Thanks for any replies
I screw up too. :(

Eirien
12-30-2007, 10:52 AM
practicing your songs with a metronome will really help you focus on your playing which should help a lot when recording. and when you're playing to a metronome, try recording it on a tape player or something and then playing back to it to see how closely you can double it. this should help make you play cleaner and more consistently.

Paleo Pete
12-30-2007, 12:17 PM
Eirien has some good suggestions, playing along with a recording and trying to duplicate it should help, a metronome should help too. I would also recommend practicing in the dark. Once you can play it in total darkness without looking, you should be able to play it well in a recording situation. The rest is just getting accustomed to recording, being on the spot. Probably it's mostly because you get nervous. I can't record much, way too noisy here with kids, dogs and boom boxes constantly driving by, but when I do get a decent chance I still screw up a lot and I've been playing 45 years, and have recorded for 20 years off and on so I'm not exactly a newcomer to the recording situation. I recorded a single acoustic finger picking song a couple of months ago and had to try it 5 times before I got a good take. And that one's not great, just passable. Had to stop when the neighbor's dog decided to start barking, I guess the leaves were blowing again, the damn critter almost never stops, I've been listening to it the past 2 hours.

Keep at it, practice in the dark, practice along with a tape recording, and try to relax while recording. The mic doesn't bite...Oh and don't decide a couple of beers will help you relax, alcohol WILL make you play sloppy. 2 beers and I don't want you onstage with me, you're playing will be sloppy. 3 and you really suck. Do it twice and I'm kicking you out of the band. The point is, alcohol will make the recordings worse, not better. Drugs too including weed. (weed kills your concentration and has a seriously detrimental affect on your ability to learn) Play sober and straight, relax, practice the song you want to record until you can literally play it blindfolded (and I do mean literally blindfolded or in total darkness). You'll still make mistakes recording, but not as many.

Mostly, practice practice practice, and RELAX...it's just a microphone...