Going to Blues Jams

PDA

View Full Version : Going to Blues Jams

GD_GC
12-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Well I'm thinking of heading over to my first blues jam this Thursday night. It is the real deal, and my question is, is it appropriate for someone like me to go? The thing is, I am only 16, and this is a real jam for adults. I am %100 positive I have the skills/ability to play at the jam, but is it appropriate for a kid to go? I have heard that jams like this actually like kids who know what they are doing to come out for these, but I just don't know. By the way, it isn't at a bar or any other 18+ venue, it is just at a BBQ joint. Would be be alright for me to go?

Sirwinston89
12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
personally i new i could keep up, id go as theres no such thing as bad experience. you can learn alot from old bluesmen, even if you play metal, or funk or classical.

GD_GC
12-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it will be a good experience.

Sirwinston89
12-30-2007, 09:14 PM
as long as you dont go wailing in with ultra-distortion and dont make an ass of yourself, it will lol. Plus you can learn all sorts of new licks, techniques etc. Anytime you can jam with someone, its a good idea to do it, even if they play stuff you arent into or you dont have the same playing ability. If their better you learn new stuff, if their worse than you, you'll remember the stuff you taught and will be pressed to practice harder.

GD_GC
12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah :haha don't worry I don't do the ultra distortion stuff, I'm all about the blues. So I think I'm gonna try it, we'll see how it goes.

shark38j
12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Your stuff's good. If your nervous about how you will be recieved, go and ask some questions to the person putting it on, see what they say.

gopherthegreat
12-30-2007, 09:48 PM
if your good enough, then ya, go for it. it will be fun.

GD_GC
12-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Well I know for sure that I can keep up, so I think I'm gonna go for it!

ECistheBest
12-30-2007, 10:43 PM
blues players arent snobs that get jealous over guys coming and ripping the place up. if u go there and if u have skill, they'll probably let u in their circle.

dr_john
12-31-2007, 04:59 AM
go for it.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

5kuzgib
12-31-2007, 07:06 AM
I would probably just sit in the first time then bring your gear the next time if it's cool...

e2k
12-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Do it! And please remember to tell us how it went :cool:

dr_john
01-01-2008, 08:58 AM
I once went to a blues bar in Cincinnati and this 14 year old kid got up on stage and played a flawless version of SRV's 'Lenny', just about brought the house down.

Hope you do the same!

TheDev01dOne
01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah I would go and just chill and see what it's like first and talk to people and **** then go again and take your stuff to play. I go to sessions here (just general pub sessions, not blues sessions) and the people that go to them are pretty much always nice people. Just don't be an ass and try to show off or something and you'll be fine. I'm sure they'll all help you out and stuff aswell once you're 'in'.

Playing with other people IMO is the best/quickest way to learn new things. Especially playing things you're not usually into.. They play a lot of irish/english traditional music at the sessions here that I'd never even heard, now I can play rhythm to some songs, I can even play the lead mandolin parts to a few!

But anyway, 100% go and check it out at least I'm sure it will be a great experience.

darthbuttchin
01-03-2008, 08:02 AM
I may be a little late, but i go to a blues jam night in a pub every thursday of half term. It took me about a year to work up the courage to play there and I addmittedly didnt play all that much blues. I guess youd say its more a blues and classic rock jam really but anyway.
I played Sweet Home Alabama first and nailed that. I was terrified of mucking up though lol. Then i got thrown in at the deep end. I had to play Steve Millers Rockin Me, which i had heard once before. Luckily i grasped it quickly and nailed it.

Second time i played there i did Purple Haze and an original song. Again, we nailed them.

Both times the reception from the audience was big and gave me a huge buzz.

Basically what im trying to say is that provided you dont have any major mishaps (i.e completely our of key solos or whatever) then youll do fine and the reception should be amazing. After all, whos gonna put a kid down for getting up and jamming? I know i wouldnt (admittedly im only nearly 16 but yeah).

that probably didnt help so ill say

Just do your best. If you can't do all Hendrix style teeth plucking and everything, don't. AKA don't try to do things you can't do as 99% of the time, the audience will know you can't do it.

hope i helped and didnt just ramble

have fun

db

GD_GC
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
So last night I went to and played at the jam, and it was amazing, best experience of all of my guitar playing. It was really great jamming with people that had decades of experience, and they were all really impressed by my playing :p:

Overall a great call to go, and I am definently going back as soon as a I can!

Dimebag22
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
So last night I went to and played at the jam, and it was amazing, best experience of all of my guitar playing. It was really great jamming with people that had decades of experience, and they were all really impressed by my playing :p:

Overall a great call to go, and I am definently going back as soon as a I can!
:cheers: That's really cool man. I wish there were things like this around my parts. I guess there probably is, but it's just a matter of finding where they're at. How did you find out about yours?

GD_GC
01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I just knew that this BBQ place near me did a bunch of blues stuff, so I went to their website and saw that they had a Thursday Night Jam thing hosted by Sonny Moorman every Thursday. Yeah I would suggest just keeping your eyes open, and maybe call some local bars/BBQ joints around you that may be into blues stuff to see if they have anything going on.