Song for Talent Show( not begginer band)

PDA

View Full Version : Song for Talent Show( not begginer band)

Element182
01-01-2008, 10:00 PM
ok, so me and some friends are playing a talent show at the end of february at my Private Christian School. We need a good song to play. We've all been playing for over 2 years and are talented. Out singer has a lowish raspy voice and I sing soft and kinda high, I do the backups. We play Mainstream Rock, Grunge, Punk, and a Little metal core. We need a good song that'll go over well since it's a Christian school. No-one at that school has any kind of real talent so we know we can win if we just play a good song. Suggestions?

1 Guitarist
2 Singers
1 Bassist
1 Drummer

FeiRei
01-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Why not do an original?

SSDDPunkRocker
01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Why not do an original?

Originals don't win over crowds too easily, especially at school talent shows. You need to grab attention and interest.

I'd say Lips of an Angel by Hinder. It says "angel" in the song, and practically everyone knows it. ;)

yM.Samurai
01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Are You Gonna Be My Girl? - JET
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls
Rock and Roll All Night - Kiss (unless teachers would have a problem?)
If your singer has a low and raspy voice, maybe do a Turisas-style cover of Rasputin?

Tubyboulin
01-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Low and raspy...Turn the Page by Mettalica? havent read the lyrics but i like the song. im sure u can manage with one guitar somehow...

otherwise may i suggest something like You Really Got Me? Van Halens version perhaps?

ProfLonghair90
01-02-2008, 12:16 AM
"I'm in the band" by The Hellacopters is an good catchy song but I hope your drummer is good, as well as the guitar player. Just wait for the solo, you'll see what I mean.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f5FR9zu6vLA

Sonic Blast
01-02-2008, 05:31 AM
if it 's a Christian gig then some of these won't work but will for a different gig (with what your band can do from what you said)

set me free - Velvet Revolver
don't cry- GN'R
hair of the dog - Nazereth, but the GN'R version has a really low harmony (not a Christian song...)
punishing world - The New York Dolls
sorrow - Pink Floyd
comfortably numb - Pink Floyd
time stand still- Rush (i think a chick sings the high part during the chorus)
the music must change - The Who

I personaly would suggest Time Stand Still, Don't Cry, Set me free, and comfortably numb for a Christian gig.

tell me what you end up doing

Element182
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Well it's a Christian School, but luckily the songs can be whatever just as long as they are appropriate. Lips of an Angel is a no-no. We were thinking maybe a Daughtry song? Were goin' for super high energy, so nothing to slow. We wanna be Big and Loud, not really soft and sensitive.

Aramis
01-02-2008, 06:52 PM
If you want high energy with a low raspy voice, there's really only one candidate - Ace of Spades. Very easy to play, super high energy, everyone knows it. One drum kit, one bass, one guitar. And no innapropriate lyrics. Just super high energy metal goodness. Perfect Choice IMO.

Retro Rocker
01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Cherry Pie - Warrant

Waffleexplosion
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Highway to Hell... that'll go over well *snort*

slavehack
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Haste the day is a good christian metal band... you could also do some songs by underoath or as I lay dying...

But I'm not sure if the teachers would like you doing metal... I would point out to them its christian music.

slayer1516
01-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Where Dead Angels Lie

Mekchrious
01-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I agree with Haste the Day-maybe Long Way Down, as it has some regular singing parts and screaming along with it. Or When Everything Falls, but that might be a little tough. Umm...I would personally say something by Life in your Way maybe, one of my favorite bands. Itunes them or myspace or something, Salty Grave by them has a hymnal part at the end, metal style.

guitar/bass76
01-03-2008, 01:00 AM
If you want high energy with a low raspy voice, there's really only one candidate - Ace of Spades. Very easy to play, super high energy, everyone knows it. One drum kit, one bass, one guitar. And no innapropriate lyrics. Just super high energy metal goodness. Perfect Choice IMO.

Aramis knows his/her stuff, seconded.

Dümönd
01-03-2008, 01:03 AM
I don't know about your Christian School, but try not to be judgemental based on whatthe school is about when picking a song. I'm Catholic, and a year or two ago I went through my confirmation, and my confirmation teachers all brought up the theme of music and they surpirsed me with their musical tastes. I thought since they were all about god and stuff that they wouldn't be into metal and stuff. One of the male teachers rolled up his sleeve to display a Slayer tatoo to our class.

You never know.

Element182
01-03-2008, 01:48 AM
YA, my English teacher loves hard rock. She rushed the stage at a Smashing Pumpkins concert when she was a teen. Oh, and while I love Ace of Spades there is the line....THE ONLY GOD I FEAR IS THE ACE OF SPADES....ya, I don't wanna get Bible raped. AS for metal-core, I don't think they'll allow screaming, although most students love that stuff. Right now we're looking at.

1. Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
2. My hero - Foo Fighters
3. Last years super-bowl medly = All along the Watchtower into Best of You - Hendrix/F.F.
4. Say it ain't so - Weezer
5. What I want - Daughtry

Just a little tid bit on the band. We all play in the School's Chapel band. We're a 2A school and we play for the entire High-School and Middle School every Tuesday. That's like 400 Students, so ya....we rock pretty good and have alot of experience. I'm downloading almost every song that you guys post so keep 'em coming. Even if we don't play it, you just might turn me on to some cool new bands.

Element182
01-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Wait, well apparently I should have looked up the lyrics to Ace of Spades. We might can do that one. Thanks.

Hammerzeit
01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
One word, Slayer!

Nah, If its talent you're after try some rush or Constant Motion by Dream Theater

Gwynnell
01-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Today or Tonight Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins perhaps

x

Black Star
01-05-2008, 10:03 AM
YA, my English teacher loves hard rock. She rushed the stage at a Smashing Pumpkins concert when she was a teen. Oh, and while I love Ace of Spades there is the line....THE ONLY GOD I FEAR IS THE ACE OF SPADES....ya, I don't wanna get Bible raped. AS for metal-core, I don't think they'll allow screaming, although most students love that stuff. Right now we're looking at.

........... except for the fact that that line isn't in Ace of Spades.

The line is "The only card I need".

I'd say go for it.

Zen5887
01-06-2008, 05:35 AM
My generation.

Everyone loves that song =P

glezz
01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
gone or over you by daughtry

itchy guitar
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Stryper!!!!!!!!!!

I Win!

djfrank
01-19-2008, 02:15 AM
POD - Jesus Freak
Stryper would rule but good luck singing it... and they have two guitarists that rip together.

kashmirianvoodo
01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
play some behemoth

itchy guitar
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
POD - Jesus Freak
Stryper would rule but good luck singing it... and they have two guitarists that rip together.

he said they werent a beginner band

Skippy_McNutty
01-19-2008, 10:21 PM
YYZ YYZ YYZ. Just get the singers to randomly say YYZ or Toronto Airport. Or write your own lyrics for that song.

mydogpoops
01-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Voodoo Child
All Along the Watchtower
You Really Got Me

Symmetry4321
01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Why not try something like chocise or your time has come by audioslave

z4twenny
01-20-2008, 06:22 PM
any cacophony.....

disposable heroes - 'tallica
and all that could have been - NIN
omerta - lamb of god

or as mentioned above YYZ, if you think you can really pull it off (and you need to do it in its entirety, complete with the ridiculous solo bridge part)