How can i get the Marcus Miller tone?

PDA

View Full Version : How can i get the Marcus Miller tone?

4STRINGBOY
01-02-2008, 01:28 PM
it shouldnt be that hard cause im using a fender jazz.
im close to his tone, but i can't really get it. it ****ing pisses me off.
please help me get the EQ of my amp and bass. especially the amp.

my bass have the jazz bass knobs and an S1 button(which i dont dig)

my amp have 3 knobs only.
LOWS | MIDS | HIGHS
its a peavy btw.

thanks,
4STRINGBOY :peace:

gm jack
01-02-2008, 01:32 PM
You cannot emulate someones tone with their exact setup with exactly the same settings and the exact same technique.

Try playing the songs with a tone you like.

fleajr_1412
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
You cannot emulate someones tone with their exact setup with exactly the same settings and the exact same technique.

listen to this guy TS.

4STRINGBOY
01-02-2008, 01:48 PM

dont be a smart ass, i know that obviously.
so when you play jaco songs, you dont try playing it in a similar tone? :rolleyes:
damn it, im just asking people to help me. and hell you're not helping.

Applehead
01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
this is from the MM website...

Do you boost any bass or treble on your bass or is it flat?

On my bass I use 2% bass boost, and 2% percent treble cut. Or maybe it's 1%, I don't know, the knobs don't have any numbers. Don't turn the bass boost up too high, unless you have a fondness for mud. And don't turn the treble up too much unless you like that funny feeling in your teeth.

What modifications have you made to your Jazz Bass?

I have a pre-amp installed in my Jazz - a Bartollini installed by Roger Sadowsky. Roger also installed a Bad-ass bridge.
The rest of the bass is stock.

Which amplifiers do you use?

I use EBS amplifiers.
I've recently made a lot of changes in my life. So, I was at a part in my life where I was examining everything. I didn't take anything for granted. The thing that made me choose EBS was that it sounds so natural. It sounded more like the direction I was going in. Moore natural and less hyped. It sounded like me. I haven't had that much fun playing in fifteen years!
I like that I can get my sound with almost no EQ. That way I can tailor my sound very easy when I come to different venues. I do like the midrange on the EBS. I like to boost the frequencies around 2-300 Hz, maybe 400 Hz sometimes. It makes a big difference when I'm playing with my fingers.
Many musicians spend too much time looking for new equipment. I do think that you have to get your equipment right but do it quickly and then stop worrying about it. Do your research and get what you have to get, and then start thinking about music again.

What strings do you use?

I honestly do like the DR strings that I use. I've been using them for about eight or nine years now. Sometimes I use their "Hi-Beams" and sometimes their "Tite- fits". To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know what they're made of (they feel like they're made of some type of metal!!).
Before them I really liked Dean Markley "Super Round" strings. Roger Sadowsky makes some strings that are very good too. Just played a set of "Caribe" strings that I really liked.
[Update by Edi (September 16, 2001): Marcus uses and endorses Marcus Miller 'FAT BEAMS' Signature Strings by DR HandMade Strings now.]

Your preferences regarding string height on your basses?

At the beginning of a tour, my action is a little lower. As I get my strenth, I raise it.
My style kinda requires a slight fret buzz for when I really bang the string with my thumb, so I don't put the strings so high that I can't get that, but I do like to get it high enough to give my tone some character.
You'll find cats who really pump a band generally have their action high enough to really dig in with out the notes buzzing out. I played Will Lee's bass the other day. His action is pretty high. Jaco's was too.

What's the major determinant of your slap tone?

The tone is primarily from the bass itself (and years of banging on it). The pre-amp helps it a lot too.......... helps round out the tone. Compression definitely helps even things out but it doesn't affect the tone at all.

If i were you i would stop driving yourself nuts with his tone and just concentrate on nailing his songs. No one will ever sound like Marcus!!! Just to play his songs is a delight, you dont need to sound like him man.. But good luck!!

shut_up_you_***
01-02-2008, 01:55 PM
It should be noted that he's been spotted using SWR pre-amps recently.

gm jack
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
so when you play jaco songs, you dont try playing it in a similar tone? :rolleyes:

No actually. I just set a little more bias to the bridge pup to help the harmonics, and that's it. EQ is left the same, as is the basses preamp settings.

Also, my points were to save me going through Appleheads huge list, which I found and didn't want to have to summerise.

MM has a very specific tone, which has happened through lots of little things. There is no real defining characterisitic to his tone, and the closest I have ever heard as was from a guy with almost the same setup.

4STRINGBOY
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
this is from the MM website...

Do you boost any bass or treble on your bass or is it flat?

On my bass I use 2% bass boost, and 2% percent treble cut. Or maybe it's 1%, I don't know, the knobs don't have any numbers. Don't turn the bass boost up too high, unless you have a fondness for mud. And don't turn the treble up too much unless you like that funny feeling in your teeth.

What modifications have you made to your Jazz Bass?

I have a pre-amp installed in my Jazz - a Bartollini installed by Roger Sadowsky. Roger also installed a Bad-ass bridge.
The rest of the bass is stock.

Which amplifiers do you use?

I use EBS amplifiers.
I've recently made a lot of changes in my life. So, I was at a part in my life where I was examining everything. I didn't take anything for granted. The thing that made me choose EBS was that it sounds so natural. It sounded more like the direction I was going in. Moore natural and less hyped. It sounded like me. I haven't had that much fun playing in fifteen years!
I like that I can get my sound with almost no EQ. That way I can tailor my sound very easy when I come to different venues. I do like the midrange on the EBS. I like to boost the frequencies around 2-300 Hz, maybe 400 Hz sometimes. It makes a big difference when I'm playing with my fingers.
Many musicians spend too much time looking for new equipment. I do think that you have to get your equipment right but do it quickly and then stop worrying about it. Do your research and get what you have to get, and then start thinking about music again.

What strings do you use?

I honestly do like the DR strings that I use. I've been using them for about eight or nine years now. Sometimes I use their "Hi-Beams" and sometimes their "Tite- fits". To tell you the truth, I honestly don't know what they're made of (they feel like they're made of some type of metal!!).
Before them I really liked Dean Markley "Super Round" strings. Roger Sadowsky makes some strings that are very good too. Just played a set of "Caribe" strings that I really liked.
[Update by Edi (September 16, 2001): Marcus uses and endorses Marcus Miller 'FAT BEAMS' Signature Strings by DR HandMade Strings now.]

Your preferences regarding string height on your basses?

At the beginning of a tour, my action is a little lower. As I get my strenth, I raise it.
My style kinda requires a slight fret buzz for when I really bang the string with my thumb, so I don't put the strings so high that I can't get that, but I do like to get it high enough to give my tone some character.
You'll find cats who really pump a band generally have their action high enough to really dig in with out the notes buzzing out. I played Will Lee's bass the other day. His action is pretty high. Jaco's was too.

What's the major determinant of your slap tone?

The tone is primarily from the bass itself (and years of banging on it). The pre-amp helps it a lot too.......... helps round out the tone. Compression definitely helps even things out but it doesn't affect the tone at all.

If i were you i would stop driving yourself nuts with his tone and just concentrate on nailing his songs. No one will ever sound like Marcus!!! Just to play his songs is a delight, you dont need to sound like him man.. But good luck!!

thanks applehead, you are one of my favorite UGers out here. you are truly amazing, kind and helpful to me eversince. :)

BassistGal
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Does that mean we've had MM on the forums? :o

Shoc
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Hey,

I found a very good play-alike-Marcus Miller-workshop.
It's on a German website but on the third page you can download the basic steps as audio files.

That might be something for you. I thought it's very useable.

http://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/play-alike-46-bass-edition-marcus-miller.html

Spaz91
09-19-2012, 11:03 AM
This thread is four and a half years old.