The Future Of Blues Is Now

PDA

View Full Version : The Future Of Blues Is Now

812many
01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
We must thank John Mayer for spearheading the blues/guitar rock movement. He did pop to get listened to, and slowly moved his way into blues and more guitar-rock sort of style. I say thank you John Mayer. John Mayer fans will spread, and a new sound must come about. Blues is back i say. Are there any other musicians like him out there making blues?

Let me set a few things straight before everyone shares their opinions. I for one am not a John Mayer fan, though I will listen to a little bit of his music and I do respect his work. I dont quite call it blues, more of a saturated blues maybe. Pretty much a pop blues. But who am I to say? Let me hear what you guys think.

:cheers:

P.S. This does not belong in the Only John Mayer Thread, for it is not about him, but about the future and rise of blues. :peace:

Buckethead4Prez
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Is it as much of a movement as you think? Not a single person that listens to the mainstream will name John Mayer as a favorite artist of theirs in my area. He did make some pop songs, but they all got swept away as quickly as any other pop song. I think you are just seeing a small part of the big picture by calling it a movement because it isn't.

Dimebag22
01-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Meh, Blues will never be mainstream. I prefer blues to be unpopular because once it becomes very popular it just becomes a fashion statement to listen to it. I could care less if blues made a big comeback because to me, that would mean that blues would become more and more saturated by what the industry wants (because they want their music to become mainstream) and then therefor blues would probably be left in the dust of this 'new' genre.

That's what happened in the '70s. Rock n Roll evolved off of blues, now look at what is popular. Rock. Not blues. That would be the exact same if blues became popular again.

That's just my two cents :)

FallenSaint
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Meh, Blues will never be mainstream. I prefer blues to be unpopular because once it becomes very popular it just becomes a fashion statement to listen to it. I could care less if blues made a big comeback because to me, that would mean that blues would become more and more saturated by what the industry wants (because they want their music to become mainstream) and then therefor blues would probably be left in the dust of this 'new' genre.

That's what happened in the '70s. Rock n Roll evolved off of blues, now look at what is popular. Rock. Not blues. That would be the exact same if blues became popular again.

That's just my two cents :)

I'll drink to that :cheers:

dontstopblevin
01-02-2008, 08:08 PM
There's a semi-famous band out there called the Derek Trucks Band. Although it's not blues exactly, it has a soul feel to it. It's helping this blues "movement". On the cover of Rolling Stone magezine, it had the 3 greatest new guitarists, John Mayer and Derek Trucks were both on there...which means that people still think that blues is the future of guitars.

But blues is not mainstream now. The only reason I know about The Derek Trucks Band is because my cousin is in it. The one major advancer of the blues movement is the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival in Chicago. People flock there every year and listen to the old and new versions of blues.

I do believe that blues is popular, just not mainstream.

812many
01-02-2008, 08:12 PM
There's a semi-famous band out there called the Derek Trucks Band. Although it's not blues exactly, it has a soul feel to it. It's helping this blues "movement". On the cover of Rolling Stone magezine, it had the 3 greatest new guitarists, John Mayer and Derek Trucks were both on there...which means that people still think that blues is the future of guitars.

But blues is not mainstream now. The only reason I know about The Derek Trucks Band is because my cousin is in it. The one major advancer of the blues movement is the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival in Chicago. People flock there every year and listen to the old and new versions of blues.

I do believe that blues is popular, just not mainstream.

I agree, and I am aware of the Drek Trucks Band, i cant beleive i forgot about them. I have the crossroads 07 dvd, great stuff on there. I agree, blues is popular, but not mainstream.

And remeber people, blues used to be pop music back in the day. Jazz used to be pop. I reccomend reading/skimming the book "Robert Johnson: History of the blues" or something like that. It puts it into perspective.

Dimebag22
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree, and I am aware of the Drek Trucks Band, i cant beleive i forgot about them. I have the crossroads 07 dvd, great stuff on there. I agree, blues is popular, but not mainstream.

And remeber people, blues used to be pop music back in the day. Jazz used to be pop. I reccomend reading/skimming the book "Robert Johnson: History of the blues" or something like that. It puts it into perspective.
I didn't say it was mainstream. I said that if blues did become mainstream, it would just die again. Just like it did when it was mainstream back in the '40s, '50s and 60's, then Rock came and killed blues. I mean, there were still traces of blues in rock, but nothing like the good old Delta Blues songs.

ledhed68
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM

Holy crap, which one is your cousin?

theneildeal
01-03-2008, 07:10 AM
yeah, john mayer got me properly into the blues. i was a classic rock guy, but he got me into srv and the rest is history.......

blues will never be mainstream. i personally wouldnŽt like it to be mainstream, as it will get diluted and youŽll end up with pop songs being described as blues, DJ dickhead remixing texas flood, and the rich history being forgoten by "new fans" who will think that john mayer is the best blues musician/god ever. donŽt get me wrong, im a mayer disciple, but heŽs got a LONG way to go!

ive never really listened to derek trucks, but as soon as i get back to england, ill check him out. Anyone who is a big coltrane fan deserves my time!

nightraven
01-03-2008, 08:08 AM
I prefer blues to be unpopular because once it becomes very popular it just becomes a fashion statement to listen to it.
+1
It's becoming a trend to be 'open-minded' for metalheads, I can see a lot of "lol i lyk bl00s itz kool ye secks me nao?" type people round the corner :(

pistols
01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
^what the hell dude? most metalheads listen to sabbath, led zep, or something of the sort, and they are heavily blues influenced bands. metalheads seem to have more of an instinct to go back and look at the roots of the music they love than anyone else, and that's why a lot of us like blues. but a lot of us don't get heaps into it, because metal is our first love.

contrary to popular opinion, people can like more than one kind of music.

but yeah, i'm only kind of half down for blues to get popular...if it gets popular via people who don't care about anyone else, and do their own thing (kind of like the attitude people like johnny cash and all the good country musicians had) then it'll probably have a bit of an emphasis on originality added. if it gets popular the wrong way, i think it would turn out the same way nashville turned out. not good.

ze monsta
01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I don't mind if it gets popular.
But first; I have no idea what blues we are talking about.

I only listen to delta blues, but used to listen to other stuff, and basically, I don't see it coming back, because there isn't slavery. :p: I'm not saying slavery was a good thing in any way, at all, but it did stem from there, from west Africa to America.
I don't see someone like Son House, or Blind Willie Johnson just appearing to the world again.
I'd like any sort of blues to become popular now though, firstly because in my eyes, blues is better than rap, hip hop etc etc. I'd like to see more blues, but I don't think it would be the same. Yeah, it might be good, but I doubt anything *in my opinion* great coming from it.

I actually see metal rising again, not blues. But oh well, doesn't bother me.

:peace:

GD_GC
01-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Ok, here is my 2 cents:

Blues isn't the kind of music that could ever be "mainstream." It just ins't the kind of music that could be processed and made into a pop culture sensation. I don't really have reasons why, I think we all know it though. And that isn't a bad thing. I don't want to see blues become mainstream, I want to see a blues movement though. If you look back over the last 50 years or so, there was a huge blues movement/boom in the 1960's. There was another in the 80's, headed by the great SRV. 20 years in between each, maybe we are overdue for another one? I think it would be amazing if blues were to have a comeback, and another boom, but that wouldn't mean it is mainstream, there is a big difference. Blues is in a little bit of a dry spell right now, but who knows, maybe another boom is coming. I think we would all appriciate that, as it is a very different thing from it becoming mainstream.

Sorry for just kind of rambling there, I really had no idea where I was going with that :p:

srv_king
01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
there's enough great blues through the ages i can listen to and stay happy. i dont want it to become mainstream so some skinny, whiny pretty boy can pretend he can play. dont take that the wrong way:peace:

gopherthegreat
01-03-2008, 10:41 PM
i prefer it not be popular or mainstream. it would start to become over-commericialized.

ze monsta
01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
I suppose there is plenty of blues.
It's not as popular as it ever has been, be it in between the 20's and 80's, but there is still blues around nowadays, even if it isn't mainstream, it's still there so I don't see a difference or problem with it not being mainstream.

theneildeal
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
there's enough great blues through the ages i can listen to and stay happy. i dont want it to become mainstream so some skinny, whiny pretty boy can pretend he can play. dont take that the wrong way:peace:

that guy is me! hmmm, i have to think of another way to become a famous blues musician

GD_GC
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
that guy is me! hmmm, i have to think of another way to become a famous blues musician

:haha

slayer1516
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
As a metalhead, I have to say for blues fans sake that blues does not become populer. Right now, many people are listening to the biggest metal bands, plus a few posuer bands. These people are usually in High School, and are obviosly just following a trend. They do not embrace any of metals aspects other than listening to some bands. Now, us metalheads have to deal with this flock of poseurs.

Imagine if the blues became popular, and suddenly kids around the world started listening to SRV and Buddy Guy, but had no respect for the genres roots, history, or just the art. They learn a couple of blues standards but don't contribute to the music. it would suck

GD_GC
01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
As a metalhead, I have to say for blues fans sake that blues does not become populer. Right now, many people are listening to the biggest metal bands, plus a few posuer bands. These people are usually in High School, and are obviosly just following a trend. They do not embrace any of metals aspects other than listening to some bands. Now, us metalheads have to deal with this flock of poseurs.

Imagine if the blues became popular, and suddenly kids around the world started listening to SRV and Buddy Guy, but had no respect for the genres roots, history, or just the art. They learn a couple of blues standards but don't contribute to the music. it would suck

Yeah, agreed completly. But it wouldn't do any harm if we saw another blues movement or boom, which is a completly different thing than it becoming mainstream.

lank81
01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I think Blues Rock is back in a different shape and form, maybe one like a Cream but of course not as talented. Bands like The White Stripes and The Black Keys are more of the leaders of bringing blues rock to the forefront for now a days. Blues music is music that moves musicians and not your mainstream top 40 hip hopers. There are many great guitar players that will go down without being known due to blues being so unmainstream. The new Blues Rock is around and will thrive in its niche but I doubt it will ever be #1 on TRL.

Lank

ze monsta
01-06-2008, 08:19 AM
. Blues is back i say. Are there any other musicians like him out there making blues?

Of Course there are ****ing blues musicians :p: , there always will be, if you look past the end of your nose.
Blues is everywhere, and influenced everything.

Check this out! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=wq3tOomP5PY)
And this... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2x-j6nb0RHc&feature=related)
And this... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kq3bC-OOKug&feature=related)
And this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VEyOQf542rA)
And this... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOG7Z7-T0QE&feature=related)

You don't see it, or hear about it, but there is a blues boom right now I reckon.

:peace:

Blurry 505
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I'll agree with dimebag, and drink to it with FallenSaint

I really hope it doesnt become mainstream. what it is now is perfect. I can go downtown Minneapolis MN to a random bar and hear blues, but I turn on the radio and I don't hear it. Thats perfect, in my opinion.

And hey, if it becomes mainstream and all cool to listen to like a fad, I'll have to die because of the people that would take machines and such to generate "tunes". If I ever hear real blues on a top 40 station I think would be the day the world ends.

But yeah, FallenSaint, lets go drink and hope it never happens :p

ColdGin
01-07-2008, 12:05 PM
I didn't say it was mainstream. I said that if blues did become mainstream, it would just die again. Just like it did when it was mainstream back in the '40s, '50s and 60's, then Rock came and killed blues.
The Blues was never a mainstream event until the mid 60's invasion of the british bands. 'Twas considered as black ethno/folk music, as marginal as Louisiana Cajun, contained in blues clubs in Chicago, Detroit, and St.Louis, even by blacks with more or less of a formal musical education who would turn to jazz or R'n'B.

In the 50's and 60's the only success blues players like Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf had was in Europe, and even then it was moderate, attracting more of an eclectic audience that would equally listen to american avant-garde jazz, Europe having already been well exposed to New Orleans Jazz and Gypsy Jazz after WWI.

In fact, the first bill in the US featuring Blues tagged artists and bands (distinguishing them from Blues-Rock or Boogie bands like Canned Heat, Lonnie Mack, Cream) that generated a buzz in newspapers nationwide was the Ann Arbor Blues Festival 1969, August 1&2, two weeks before Woodstock.

Even Blues venues at the Fillmore between 1966 and 1968 were then considered nothing more than local and never sold out the rough 1000 capacity. In comparaison, in aug-sept 1967, Cream sold out 5 of 11 nights there with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band as opening act.
http://www.geosound.org/finnishedgeo33/cream-fillmore-67.jpg

It took mixed bills like Albert King, Chuck Berry AND The Who to sell out a Fillmore East +3000 capacity.

So, no, Rock never killed the Blues.
Instead, it gave US blues acts more audience had venues sported blues only bands.

TNfootballfan62
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
ColdGin is full of knowledge. :p: :cheers:

And is it just me, or is John Mayer a good example of what would happen if blues DID become mainstream? Rather than blues, we would have some pop/blues fusion that people CALLED blues.

ColdGin
01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
ColdGin is full of knowledge. :p: :cheers:

And is it just me, or is John Mayer a good example of what would happen if blues DID become mainstream? Rather than blues, we would have some pop/blues fusion that people CALLED blues. :cheers: ;)
Was Santana ever labelled as "mariachi", "cuban", "african" music ?

Clapton, "reggae" ?

Peter Frampton's "Show me the way", "bossa-nova" ?

The "spanish" mini-wave, when Elton John, Madonna, Bryan Adams all put out singles with bits of spanish guitar ? It wasn't called "spanish" music even so.

Ricky Martin, Shakira, Christina Aguilera ? They may often be labelled "Latino", but hardly considered as "salsa" or "samba" references.

GD_GC
01-08-2008, 07:32 AM
ColdGin really does know his stuff, and I've never even seen him around before!

+1 to all you've said

imgooley
01-13-2008, 12:05 AM
all modern music comes from blues. Period. End of story. Look at Amy Winehouse. Look at John Mayer. Down. Queens of the Stoneage. Soulfly. Audioslave. The Foo Fighters. Shall I continue? My point is that because blues is constantly evolving, and being borrowed, isn't blues (at least part of it) mainstream anyway? I'm not saying that stuff that sounds like howlin wolf or john lee hooker is part of the mainstream or that its even predominant in niche styles but it is still there where ever you turn your ear. And if that can get casual music fans or punks or metalheads to listen to stuff like Hellhound on my Trail or Mannish Boy, Thats enough for me.

bodyheatseeker
01-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Blues is back i say.

The Blues never left us. :p:

Surjit
01-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Is it wrong to want to help blues come back and be listened too a bit more widely?

I was curious: how many of you write and record your own song in a band?

ze monsta
01-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Is it wrong to want to help blues come back and be listened too a bit more widely?

I was curious: how many of you write and record your own song in a band?

I do.
We play a lot of blues covers.

Surjit
01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I do.
We play a lot of blues covers.
Awesome, thats great.. Right now i'm working on Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix.. I dig the chord shape he has placed out over the 6-8th frets. it sounds really nice.

5kuzgib
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
If John Mayer is the "future" of Blues, then god help us.

Dimebag22
01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Have you actually heard John Mayer other than the stuff they play on the radio? If not, then I suggest you better listen to him before making comments like that. Read this http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Dimebag22/blog/10231/.

theneildeal
01-17-2008, 04:13 PM

At the moment, John Mayer is converting more people into blues fans than anyone else at the moment. You might not like his music, but a lot of new blues players will be influenced by him. He's also making blues more accessible to popular music fans. His CDs are always near to the till in music shops, with the most popular albums of the week, and i think that its great that a blues artist is with the most popular cds. Lets face it, if people go into a music shop and want to find a new cd to listen to, they are more likely to buy the John Mayer album, than to walk upstairs/downstairs to the small blues section to pick up a Muddy Waters album. If people like his blues music, then they will check out more "traditional" blues.

Some people think of him as a blues artist, and some think of him as a stepping stone to blues music. But im sure that we can all agree that he is attracting a lot of younger fans into blues.

5kuzgib
01-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Have you actually heard John Mayer other than the stuff they play on the radio? If not, then I suggest you better listen to him before making comments like that. Read this http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Dimebag22/blog/10231/.

Yes I have. I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Even so, he's a decent guitarist, but how anyone can listen to him sing is beyond me.

Watching him is even worse - he tries too hard to look "blues" by pulling those rediculous constipation faces. He should watch Derek Trucks, who can rip an awesome solo without contorting his face into a boxing glove :peace:

Carswell98
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Yes I have. I don't listen to the radio anyway.

Even so, he's a decent guitarist, but how anyone can listen to him sing is beyond me.

Watching him is even worse - he tries too hard to look "blues" by pulling those rediculous constipation faces. He should watch Derek Trucks, who can rip an awesome solo without contorting his face into a boxing glove :peace:

dude, that is called guitar face

it's involuntary, many people look like total morons when they play

especially me :(

and I think he sings pretty damn well

how can you "look blues"? I don't care if he's wearing a suit and a fedora or jeans and a t shirt, it's the music that counts

5kuzgib
01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
dude, that is called guitar face

it's involuntary, many people look like total morons when they play

especially me :(

and I think he sings pretty damn well

how can you "look blues"? I don't care if he's wearing a suit and a fedora or jeans and a t shirt, it's the music that counts

I know what a guitar face is, and I also know that it's usually put on...

Dimebag22
01-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I know what a guitar face is, and I also know that it's usually put on...
You wanna see some guitar face? Look at BB King, so what are you gonna do now? Rip on BB King, The King of The Blues?

5kuzgib
01-18-2008, 10:54 AM
You wanna see some guitar face? Look at BB King, so what are you gonna do now? Rip on BB King, The King of The Blues?

Never mind :rolleyes:

It's gonna be useless to argue against fanbois .

theneildeal
01-18-2008, 11:30 AM
no, its useless arguing with us if your argument is flawed. Ive just had a look at your favourite bands and guitarists list in your profile, and all of them make guitar faces when they play! what makes you so sure that John Mayer is faking?

5kuzgib
01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
no, its useless arguing with us if your argument is flawed. Ive just had a look at your favourite bands and guitarists list in your profile, and all of them make guitar faces when they play! what makes you so sure that John Mayer is faking?

True a lot of them do, and they look rediculous while doing it. But JM takes it to the extreme

http://www.usmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/mayermontage.jpg
http://www.dreamsawake.com/johnmayer2004-08-06_files/images/0034_JPG.jpg
http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/john-mayer-400a052307.jpg

Anyway, my main beef with him is his voice and his general air of arrogance, I'm sorry if you disagree but thats the way I feel.

Dimebag22
01-18-2008, 02:42 PM
True a lot of them do, and they look rediculous while doing it. But JM takes it to the extreme

http://www.dreamsawake.com/johnmayer2004-08-06_files/images/0034_JPG.jpg
http://www.aolcdn.com/red_galleries/john-mayer-400a052307.jpg

Anyway, my main beef with him is his voice and his general air of arrogance, I'm sorry if you disagree but thats the way I feel.
Basically, you were saying that John was faking his guitar face to look 'blues'. I personally don't know how you can look 'blues'. Please explain that to me.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/king-freddie_live-texasDVD.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/00325665_lg.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/B20B20King-AAG-000258.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/r-jennings-1.gif

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/p24093axdrb.jpg

If all these people are just trying to look 'blues' then I guess that means that they are all fakes then right??? :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way, I am not a John Mayer fanboy, I just fail too see why you are putting him down.

Firebread
01-18-2008, 03:47 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/gopherthegreat/new2.jpg

Win

Carswell98
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb105/gopherthegreat/new2.jpg

Win
:haha you could put that picture anywhere and it would win

and yeah 5kuzgib, you are just wrong

5kuzgib
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
:haha you could put that picture anywhere and it would win

and yeah 5kuzgib, you are just wrong

Well that told me then :rolleyes:

Carswell98
01-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Well that told me then :rolleyes:

well what did you say that wasn't proven wrong by myself or the other posters?, it's fine if you don't like it, just don't come here and tell us somebody is faking it just because you don't like them

TNfootballfan62
01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
It's all real with BB King. He doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, he's just playing his heart out. I won't jump into this with John, but let's not drag BB through the mud. ;)

EDIT: Looks like i missed a page of arguing. Sorry. :cheers:

EDIT II: After reading through some of this, i'd like to add something. The guy who thinks JM is faking it isn't "wrong" just b/c that's what he thinks, nor is he right. That's his opinion on what Mayer's intentions are with guitar face. No one on earth knows what's going on in Mayer's head but him when he's playing guitar.

Carswell98
01-18-2008, 06:15 PM
^ I really hope it didn't sound like I was dragging BB into anything

I just commented on the picture because I love it :p:

and I realize that he may be right, and he is surely entitled to his opinion, but its pretty lame to actually say someone is faking it.

GD_GC
01-18-2008, 07:47 PM
I had a feeling this thread would turn into an argumentative spam fest :rolleyes:

Well I might as well add my 2 cents. I agree wholeheartedly with TNfootballfan. We can't know if he is faking it. And this isn't what the blues is about, whoever posted stuff about John Mayer faking it needs to understand that. It isn't a competition, its playing the music that speaks to you. He's playing blues (damn well if you ask me), and that's all there is to it. He's just playing the music, and whether or not in his head he thinks he is "faking it" is irrelevant, he is playing the blues, and that is all that really matters. Who cares what his intentions are?

I know that was a rambling pointless post, and I had no idea where I was going with that, but that's just how I feel.

Dimebag22
01-19-2008, 12:05 AM
I had a feeling this thread would turn into an argumentative spam fest :rolleyes:

Well I might as well add my 2 cents. I agree wholeheartedly with TNfootballfan. We can't know if he is faking it. And this isn't what the blues is about, whoever posted stuff about John Mayer faking it needs to understand that. It isn't a competition, its playing the music that speaks to you. He's playing blues (damn well if you ask me), and that's all there is to it. He's just playing the music, and whether or not in his head he thinks he is "faking it" is irrelevant, he is playing the blues, and that is all that really matters. Who cares what his intentions are?

I know that was a rambling pointless post, and I had no idea where I was going with that, but that's just how I feel.
Damn right :cheers: I still fail to see how facial expressions have anything to do with one's guitar playing. :)

ze monsta
01-19-2008, 06:28 AM

Needless to say. I lol'd. :p:

I don't wanna get involved in something so trivial as someone's opinion, but I don't particurly like him. It's not his arrogance, his guitar faces etc etc. I just don't enjoy listening to tht style of music. Plain and simple.
Is there a need to whinge? No.
Is he still a good guitarist? Yes.
Do I like him? I say it again, No.
Can I be fair? Yes.
Can I ask rhetorical questions? Yes.
Can I answer them? Yes.
Is this getting annoying? Yes.

theneildeal
01-19-2008, 07:53 AM
I was playing last night, and i realised that ive started doing some weird guitar faces. John Mayer will look normal compared to me!!

ColdGin
01-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Damn right :cheers: I still fail to see how facial expressions have anything to do with one's guitar playing. :)
As Buddy Guy once put it, it's a matter of generation...

"Down south where I was raised, people had the choice either to work in the fields or on the levies. The work was so hard you could see the Blues in people in their moves, and hear the Blues when they spoke. The Blues was so thick, you could even smell it."

TNfootballfan62
01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
One thing is certain: I love Buddy Guy.

GD_GC
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
One thing is certain: I love Buddy Guy.

Amen to that :cheers:

Firebread
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM

I'll drink to that.

Sir Anonymous
01-22-2008, 02:02 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/Gilmour_101/00325665_lg.jpg

Not to derail the thread, but does this Strat have a Tele neck? Or is it just the headstock?

urik
01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Great blues guitarist, Backstreet Boys voice (IMO).
Don't like his songs, or his voice, it sounds like the Backstreet Boys playing blues IMO. But he's a good blues guitarist.
And he doesn't fake the faces. Please search for Adam Fulara. Now THAT's a guitar face. But the guy is amazing.

chobe
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
ze monsta is on my wavelength here pretty much. I mainly listen to pre-war stuff.

johnny_tapia
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Not to derail the thread, but does this Strat have a Tele neck? Or is it just the headstock?
It does look like it :)

SimonPeter
02-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Enough of this guitar face crap and in my mind anyone who uses the word fanboy is a f*g.
Anyway if blues became mainstream I think it would see a bunch of bull come its way but if there were several mainstream artists who kept the I don't need this (all the sellout crap for lack of better phrasing) blues additude like some past bands it would be a nice thing to see.