taps as solos?

PDA

View Full Version : taps as solos?

yoa01
01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
in one of my band's (no fear's) songs, clash of the years, the guitarist (me) does a bazillion taps in it, along with power chds and what not, and i want a few pointers and tips and such before we go to concert. :peace:

please :D

go to my page to hear it.

Rockerdude135
01-02-2008, 10:34 PM
dont go

robshredsky
01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Tapping for solos is basically really cheesy and overdone, rarely someone will do it correctly. If you do a solo with taps, that's fine, but all tapping is pretty lame.

Metallica_Man55
01-02-2008, 10:36 PM
my suggestion with tapping is to practice a lot, because even though it's an easy technique, it's possible to mess it up. you gotta make sure you're hitting the notes fully, because if you don't it will be all jumbled up and it won't sound right. hope this helps.

HeavenlyVirus
01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
oh lord...

NemX162
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
oh lord...

+1

axemanchris
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Okay.... let's put it in perspective. Listening to your stuff, it isn't 'gig-ready' yet. I think we're unanimous.

That said, you're farther ahead in rock guitar than I was at 14. I was delighted to just be able to play the intros to Highway to Hell and Rock You Like a Hurricane. I wasn't brave enough (er... confident enough....) to even try soloing until I was 15. I was gigging two years later.

CT

Metallica_Man55
01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Tapping for solos is basically really cheesy and overdone, rarely someone will do it correctly. If you do a solo with taps, that's fine, but all tapping is pretty lame.

i agree somewhat. i disagreed before, but now that i thought about it, he's right. it's okay to have maybe one or two solos fully composed of tapping, but i would limit it to just a little bit, because you don't want to overdo it.

now i'm not saying it's bad or cheesy, i'm just saying don't overdo it.

LoneWanderer13
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I listened to that and honestly could not get through it. It is definitely not ready to be performed in front of an audience. Do not play it.
I'm gonna sound like an old person saying this but...it kinda just sounded like noise. I would rewrite it...restructure it. Or perhaps ditch and and start again.

I don't mean to be overly harsh, this is simply how I see it. I hope you'll at least take my comments into consideration.

SSDDPunkRocker
01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Not to be harsh, but did you honestly write that, or were you just making "cool crunchy noises"? It really is bad, and I hope it was a joke...

timzee117
01-03-2008, 12:53 AM
please dont gig yet

Aramis
01-03-2008, 12:48 PM
You suck, don't play guitar.

If anyone says that to you, tell them to go fuck themselves, because you can play guitar, even if you aren't gonna be challenging the throne of Michael Angelo Batio anytime soon.

I'm going to be honest and I'm going to offer constructive criticism.

1) There were places where your rhythm was very off. I would advise playing with a metronome.
2) Define a chord structure over which to solo.
3) The tapping was sloppy, and didn't sound very structured, which is why I advise you to define a chord structure. I would advise composing the solo on your guitar, and tabbing it on PowerTab or GuitarPro. Play slowly with a metronome at about 50bpm. Precision is more important than speed. Speed comes over time, but if you have no precision, it is useless.

I can see potential, but only through work is potential developed.

Go for it dudes! :cool:

LewisMasonx
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Not to be harsh, but did you honestly write that, or were you just making "cool crunchy noises"? It really is bad, and I hope it was a joke...

Not to be mean, but I thought exactly the same. :/ I kept thinking "When does this start?" It sounds like a recorded jam thing in your bedroom.

v8ko
01-06-2008, 02:22 AM
I call BS on this lol...cmon my buddys strap came off his guitar a couple weeks ago at practice and it literally sounded better than that.

IF this is for real and the OP has a love for the guitar might I suggest lessons. And heres a quick tip. Take your time while practicing. If you cant do it at a slow pace it certainly aint gonna happen at a faster pace. Use either a metronome or drum machine to keep time. You have the ability to record so record your practices and listen back to them.

Find someone that will be flat out honest with you about your playing and as you progress let them listen to SOME of your stuff (believe me the last thing you want to do is bore this person) Learn some theory and dont even solo till you have at least one step of one scale memorized. Jamming will come soon enough but your going backwards right now and if you keep this up for a year you will really be lost.

This site is chalk full of info. Back in my day it was more fend for yourself, learn everything by ear etc...now days its just as hard to learn the instrument but with everything on the internet it does make it quicker to learn.

Best of luck.

Peaceful Rocker
01-06-2008, 02:38 AM
oh man i cant help it

LAUGHING MY ****ING ASS OFF

man if this isn't a joke i'm sorry

JackFlash19
01-06-2008, 03:47 AM
yea, don't practice tapping and just practice in general. Sorry but you have quite a ways to go before being 'gig ready'.

axemanchris
01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
C'mon guys... It is obvious that the young lad needs work, but I think some of us are being kinda hard on the guy. He's 14. Give 'im a break a bit.

CT

Aramis
01-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Allowing grandeurs of proficience will only harm him. I could hear places in the track that sounded OK, but to allude to him being the least bit proficient at tapping/soloing would only harm him as a guitarist.

However the way to go about it is to offer constructive criticism, and to try and guide him onto a specific path rather than telling him he sucks.

SSDDPunkRocker
01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Okay. Constructive criticism.

Learn tapping.

Learn chord progressions and structures.

Learn tempo.

Buy a metronome.

Don't suck.

;)

FreakShow99
01-07-2008, 02:37 AM
i left a comment on your profile. dont take it the wrong way im just trying to help :)

Imo the song was too long repetitive and unskilled. listen to Roses of the Dead, and eruption for a nice style of tapping, yours pretty muched sucked. but i also think you were let down by a poor recording.

Dont worry we all start somewhere just work on it, good luck and dont give up.

edit:

dont try be so 'techincal' although it seemed that in your song you were just playing random notes..try maybe start of something simpler than the extreme tapping. even slow simple songs if played right are powerful. i know how much it sucks to be told that you need to go back but trust me at the place you are now it is not good. rework on your basic understanding of tapping and soloing.

and just for advice scrap the fretboard masturbation for now, it sounds quite bad, and its not needed

axemanchris
01-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Just read a thing today about Rik Emmet (Triumph). He was 14 and all he knew was a few basic standard old-time rock and roll/rhythm and blues licks.

Nobody in the last 30 years has questioned his proficiency on the guitar.

Geez.... I'll have to go back and check that.... it might have been Bruce Cockburn. Even then, nobody in the last 30 years has disputed his skill on the guitar for a second either.

Either way.... you gotta start somewhere, but start simple.

CT

The Rambler
01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
daaang... I was thinking from the title you'd play the song (usually on trumpet for military funerals and the like) "Taps" as a solo in some other song. THAT would be cool.

/stealsidea.

SSDDPunkRocker
01-08-2008, 12:13 AM
daaang... I was thinking from the title you'd play the song (usually on trumpet for military funerals and the like) "Taps" as a solo in some other song. THAT would be cool.

/stealsidea.

That's what I thought.

Kurapica
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM
My advice would be to just relax and not get ahead of yourself. Learn to play a few songs through solidly to get your timing in check and learn how to write a song. Also learn how to EQ your amp, it sounds bad atm.

And don't tap...for a long time.

Tjasu
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
Okay dude...

I've been playing guitar for about 3-4 years now. I know very VERY little of music theory. I learned through tab (and experience as a bass player) PRACTICE and frustration for sucking.

It's a long road, and at times a very fruitless one... With that said...

The song, like other people have said, have some neat parts. I really was very very fond of that part where you are strumming the muted string (or at least it sounded muted) that part was very jagged. Raw. Sounded good.

The tapping part? I think you'd greatly benefit by slowing down a bit. Maybe even a lot. Now, I'm no master of tapping but I think I can offer some tips! Don't tap on two strings. It's hard. I don't know that you're ready yet dude. Try this.

I'm not sure what scale you're playing but lets pretend the "useable" notes on the A string are these...

A|1-3-5-6-8-10-11-| etc etc

try this, it's real neat. Just go up the given notes and tap a few times, move up, tap, move up tap. It looks like this when tabbed

A|1h3p1h5p1h3p1h5p1----move to the next note----3h5p3h6p3h5p3h6p3---

so its like this...

one finger stays on the 1 fret. hammer with the same hand and pull off on 3, hammer with your right hand on 5 then pull off, hammer with your left hand on 3, pull off, hammer with right hand on 5, pull off. I hope that makes sense. when you move up or down, change the "anchored" note from 1 to 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 etc etc.

I hope that helps. It's really easy to add in an ascending tapping scale thing a majig. Wow, technical terms...

It also sounded like you were trying to shred too. Slow it down man. Nothing sounds worse than a shred gone bad. Don't worry about nailing EVERY note, most people either won't know or won't know. But it does sound bad to mindlessly noodle. Try short little shredding runs. Like this...

E|--------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------------------------
D|-7--------------------------------------4---------5-------7
A|-7---------------------4----6---7---------------
E|-5-------5-----7-------------------------------

Let the chord ring for a second, then go up that major (I think) scale. Now, this is just an example, a poor one, but an example nonetheless. Anywho. I hope that helps.

All in all, I'd have to agree with the others (although somewhat less rude) take some time back to the drawing board and slow it down man. People are just impress by a slow 8 note solo that is clean, melodic and emotional as they are by the guy who just melted their face with a shred and sweep fest.

Good luck bro, you're only 14? TONS of time left man. I'm 22. And I've only got 4 years at the most. Enjoy it man. You'll enjoy it in a few years when you're a senior at highschool and all the women want in your pants. Try to keep it to 2 at a time though!