Finding the right sound for the band. (details inside)

PDA

View Full Version : Finding the right sound for the band. (details inside)

floyd matt
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
my band is trying hard to find the sound that makes us who we are.

we have: Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals, Keyboard.

our influence is pretty large (not in Order):

Van Halen
The Beatles
Avenged Sevenfold
Sixx A.m
Nickelback
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Fall Out Boy
Paramore
Fletch
Army Of Freshmen
Panic At The Disco
Cobra Starship
My Chemical Romance
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Sr-71
Velvet Revolver
Winger

a lot of you guy's will say just play what ever comes to your mind.

well it's pretty fun playing what you want but a lot of time it goes to different styles that sound 100% different.

what style you think we should try to play?

our minds are everywhere between: Rock,alternative,powerpop to what ever.

BrokenStrings
01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
If you are writing stuff, write in all different styles. Whilst AC/DC kept with a *ahem*strict style (I still love them), Jimmy Page was influenced by many different things and you can hear that in Stairway (sums his influences up pretty well).

axemanchris
01-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Agreed totally.... regardless of the bands you admire and would like to model yourselves after, when you start writing, your own voice and your own sound will come out. Ironically, you have little control over what the end result will be. It will be what it is.

Imagine MCR doing a Van Halen song. (er..... or not.... ) It will still sound like MCR, regardless of who wrote it. The overall sound being influenced by the sound of the singer, the sound of the player's instruments, and the playing styles that those musicians have copped from a myriad of other musicians and stewed together into their own styles.

The difference between the first two paragraphs is that, by doing originals, there are no preconceived notions as to what the song *should* sound like, so you won't be *trying* to sound like anyone else. You will have no choice but to sound like you.

CT

SSDDPunkRocker
01-04-2008, 01:31 AM
Avenged, PANIC!, and Beatles in the same list? That's a bit unordthodox, but I say write some great guitar riffs, lyrics that don't make sense, and wear your hair like mops and talk/sing in strong accents and you have your sound. =]

axemanchris
01-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Avenged, PANIC!, and Beatles in the same list?

Often, you'll find that most good musicians have a broad palate of tastes.

CT

Zycho
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Play what comes to mind, it's really that simple...

cortez0
01-04-2008, 05:31 PM

CT

I'll keep that in mind next time somebody tells me that I suck :p:

And to the threadstarter:
You put stuff in your music that you like. Since you like those bands, you'll be influenced by them without even noticing.

timi_hendrix
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Just become a winger tribute band. It's the only way.

:p:

SSDDPunkRocker
01-04-2008, 10:13 PM

CT

I know, I just meant that it's unorthodox for someone to actually admit to those tastes. My iTunes consists of stuff like Fall Out Boy, the Eagles, KoRn, Bullet For My Valentine, Kanye West, and Avril.

But saying it makes myself shiver.

axemanchris
01-05-2008, 01:22 AM
The only problem with that is that you don't readily admit to it without prodding. Embrace your range of tastes. It's one of those things that should separate you as a musician from most of the rest of those who aren't.

Not suggesting for a moment that you shouldn't be critical, though....

CT