Worth teaching a drummer?

PDA

View Full Version : Worth teaching a drummer?

KetchupLad14
01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, I was in una band, but we "parted ways" because I started turning into a jerk, and the drummer was a total jerk. But anyways, I've totally reorganized my life and my musicianship, and now I am a WAAAY better guitar player, and I don't get frustrated very easily.

Everyone else is ready to try again and we're really confident that we can sound great. Unfortunately, in the time we stopped playing, the drummer lost interest in drums! I don't know why, or how, but he's not into it anymore, although we are still good buds.
There are other drummers that I know, but none of them are particularly "good." The best one I know is still in the beginner stage, and not ready to take on jamming and writing with other musicians.

So the question is, is it worth it to teach him and wait/watch him get better? OR is it not worth the trouble and should I just keep hopelessly searching? I'm friends with the dude, but he is not exactly a person I can imagine spending hours practicing rudiments and advanced funk grooves. But you never know, it may be important enough for him.

So, what'z th3 d3a1i0 y0? Is it worth it? I play drums, by the way...

Thanks a ton,
Ketchup.

SoulFallsVoice
01-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, I was in una band, but we "parted ways" because I started turning into a jerk, and the drummer was a total jerk. But anyways, I've totally reorganized my life and my musicianship, and now I am a WAAAY better guitar player, and I don't get frustrated very easily.

Everyone else is ready to try again and we're really confident that we can sound great. Unfortunately, in the time we stopped playing, the drummer lost interest in drums! I don't know why, or how, but he's not into it anymore, although we are still good buds.
There are other drummers that I know, but none of them are particularly "good." The best one I know is still in the beginner stage, and not ready to take on jamming and writing with other musicians.

So the question is, is it worth it to teach him and wait/watch him get better? OR is it not worth the trouble and should I just keep hopelessly searching? I'm friends with the dude, but he is not exactly a person I can imagine spending hours practicing rudiments and advanced funk grooves. But you never know, it may be important enough for him.

So, what'z th3 d3a1i0 y0? Is it worth it? I play drums, by the way...

Thanks a ton,
Ketchup.

Well that last sentence took me a while to read. I say, no...you already failed with him, wait until you can get a someone to take his spot.

BrokenStrings
are you the only guitarist...?

anodetodrivebys
ask him if he wants to play for a while. if he shapes up, just stick with him.

KetchupLad14
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh wait, just to clear up, I was thinking about teaching a friend that was a beginner drummer.

NOT the person who was in the band with me before.

andersoncouncil
01-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I did it, cause I had no other option. Except the kid's father taught him a little, and he learned the rest on his own.

Of course we are still bounds away from a band. (no bassist)

May as well start teaching him. You can be looking for another drummer meanwhile, just in case he doesn't do what he needs to.

KetchupLad14
01-04-2008, 12:40 AM
I did it, cause I had no other option. Except the kid's father taught him a little, and he learned the rest on his own.

Of course we are still bounds away from a band. (no bassist)

May as well start teaching him. You can be looking for another drummer meanwhile, just in case he doesn't do what he needs to.
:cheers: That's a good idea. Thanks.

v8ko
01-06-2008, 01:59 AM

Not a totally bad idea. Time to break out the drum machine though (ugh) and just see if the drummers motivated ie time put in practicing etc. I feel for you guys because its easy to find ok drummers and a gift to find a talented one...most of those guys are allready in bands lol.

lolmnt
01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I play drums, by the way...
Problem solved