steel strings on nylon acoustic???

PDA

View Full Version : steel strings on nylon acoustic???

takingfire21
01-04-2008, 01:40 AM
would anything bad happen if i put steel strings on a nylon acoustic?
like damage to the bridge, neck, headstock, or nut?

GC Shred Off
01-04-2008, 01:46 AM
It will almost surely ruin the guitar. Classical guitars are not built to handle the high tension of steel strings. There are exceptions, but I would stick to nylon on a classical guitar.

tom183
01-04-2008, 04:17 AM
Yes, it will cause damage to your guitar. Please dont do it.

Dix_Fix
01-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Quite often it will result in a broken neck , usually at the heel. It is O.K. to put nylon strings on a steel guitar , BUT NOT STEEL STRINGS ON A NYLON/CLASSICAL GUITAR

Confusius
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Your title confuses me. In either case it's not a good idea. Putting steel strings on a classical guitar will ruin the neck and putting nylon on a steel string will be the equivalent of putting elastic bands on a kleenex box. I believe the technical explanation is that the top won't have enough tension to draw the sound so it will be extremely soft. Something along those lines it was.

jimtaka
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
as everyone said, do not put steel strings on a nylon string guitar.

Quite often it will result in a broken neck , usually at the heel.
i always imagined that the bridge would rip off the guitar far before the neck would break. you probably have more experience repariring guitars and such than i do, so i'm asking you. is it more common for the neck to break than the bridge to rip off? i would really think the opposite, but i don't know.

Bill43
01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
This reminds me of Rice Krispies cereal.
Can anyone say "Snap, Crackle & Pop"

Confusius
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
:eek:

:haha :haha

takingfire21
01-04-2008, 05:56 PM
alright thanks guys

Dix_Fix
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Jimtaka it's a toss up which comes first the bridge block lifting (or popping off) or the neck going crack, or both. The times i have seen it it has usually been the neck. I think maybe because , Most of us if we were to try putting steel on nylon , wouldnt do it with a $1000 guitar, only an old junker, hence the quality of the timber in the neck may be lower, but as for the bridge comming off, luthier glue is pretty much luthier glue , on high end guitars or junkers. Mind you i had one nylon (i'll try & dig out a pic) that one of my neighbours strung & it didnt go pop untill it was being played a couple of days later , but when it let go wow catastrophy.

Couldnt find the pic i wanted but this one will show you what happens when steel is put on nylon.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Dix_Fix/guitars/Matasaka/MVC-008F.jpg

Here is a bridge after steel on nylon, This one the bridge had come off before so someone had bolted it back on through the deck. She said it came off with a hell of a pop when she was finally tightening top "E"

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Dix_Fix/guitars/Elka/MVC-003F.jpg

jimtaka
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM
muchas gracias

67SG
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
From my experience (I go to school with a bunch of poser guitarists who were complete idiots) it usually won't break the neck or the bridge, just bend the neck enough that you won't be able to get a good sound (Unless you're dumb enough to leave the strings on when the neck starts a-bowing). But it depends on the guitar.

at-the-zoo
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
It will almost surely ruin the guitar. Classical guitars are not built to handle the high tension of steel strings. There are exceptions, but I would stick to nylon on a classical guitar.

does anyone know the exceptions mentioned above?

jimtaka
02-06-2008, 11:01 PM
^--- luck basically

captivate
02-07-2008, 12:21 AM
i agree with jimtaka. it's all luck. some guy at my school put steel strings on his classical and it didnt snap. he was ridiculously lucky. when my music teacher saw it, he told him to take it off instantly. I believe he only had it on for about a day or two.

in the reverse situation of classical strings on an acoustic... why on earth would you want to do that? you get a steel stringed guitar because it DOESNT sound like a classical.

El CumanÚs
02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Once i put electric guitar strings (0.008) on my classical and lasted like 1 1/2 year before replacing it with nylon strings. The guitar itself is intact, but the tone wasn't the greatest to be honest, the only reason i did that was because with nylon strings is almost impossible do bendings and wide vibratos and i was curious about getting that "metallic tone".

Marcel Veltman
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
does anyone know the exceptions mentioned above?

It's not luck but lack of money that makes you able to put steels on your nylon strung guitar. Cheap, badly build instruments tend to be stronger instead of weaker then their expensive, well build counterparts. Some are so badly build, you can actually jump on them without causing any damage. Producing tone poses a problem for such a guitar, not taking up twice the designated string tension.

axemanchris
02-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I've seen someone put steel strings on a classical guitar. It lasted about an hour. After an hour, the extreme tension of the steel strings pulled the bridge right off the guitar.

Well.... that's not totally accurate. The glue securing the bridge to the top actually held. It was the wood *around* the bridge that gave way. Bridge and wood pulled right off the top of the guitar, leaving a big hole in the body of the guitar.

:eek:

CT