Begining Band Questions

PDA

View Full Version : Begining Band Questions

JacobBecker
01-04-2008, 04:19 AM
Me and my band had our first official practice today. Before it was just me and the guitarist playing some songs to a drum machine. However we weren't perfectly in sync (or too in sync at all. I don't expect perfect) but I wasn't disappointed. So it brings to my question, how long does it take to play well with others and write some music as a group? And what are some tips to making this happen easier/better? Just as far as fitting well with band members when it comes to practice and writing.

Fecker
01-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Your synchronization depends mainly on the experience of both of you, more advanced musicians can usually sync better and faster. And to write music together, I think it depends on how well you know each other and how you feel about each other because each of you has to know the other's abilities and taste and limitations in order to know exactly what to play

guitaringsailor
01-04-2008, 04:28 AM
The most important is that you have patience and don't give up, playing in a band is really fun the very best about music to me =)
But to get tight and ready for the stage is a ****load of practise really, and don't expect it to go any good at your first gigs it a process, be patient.

What have been working for me in the past is making sure that everbody has somewhat the same goal with the music ex. if the bassist wants so sell a million albums and live of music for the rest of his life and the guitarplayer just want to play a few shows and get laid they probably won't get along =P

Take it slow at first, playing everything properly beginning with easy songs and get them PERFECT before you start crashing on to playing the more advanced stuff.

And don't be afraid to fail =P if you haven't fell you can't get up =)
good luck dude!

SlackerBabbath
01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
How long is a piece of string?
It could be weeks, months, years... it all just depends on so many variables, it's impossible to say, but as guitaringsailor said above, just stick at it and you'll eventualy start seeing some improvement and it'll be apparent when it's time to start gigging.
Songwriting is something that you should probably start straight away. Your first few will probably be crap, because just like playing your instruments, it takes practice. You'll eventtualy develop an ear for what works and what sounds too cheesy. Just persevere with it and above all, be patient, it'll happen eventualy.

TimbreWolf
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
the band that i am in started with just myself and a female singer who played acoustic, the first time meeting her, things sounded a bit chaotic at first but once i got a feel for her style i was able to easier blend mine with hers and in tempo. now 2yrs later we are best friends, and cant possibly find anyone else that is so perfect to write with.

its finding those drummers that are hard hehe...

Centrey
01-06-2008, 10:27 AM
YOu have no idea how easy it is to write with a real drummer, if they are are musical.