Drummer Issues

PDA

View Full Version : Drummer Issues

guitardude34875
01-04-2008, 06:14 PM
:fart: I have a very good friend who plays drums, and it is just me and him playing so far, but I found out 2 guys on my basketball team play guitar and bass, so i want to bring them into the equation, but the drummer is starting to be weird, i say weird because when were playing and i say to play a song, i count off, and he just doesn't play!!! when i ask him why he does it, he says he doens't want to reherse,a1nd this is within the first few minutes of the "rehersal" start, and hes holding my musical "career" back, and i dont want him to hold the other future members back, and he refuses to play all the songs I come up with for us to cover, and there's only one song that we can play right in the year we've been playin together, and on some songs he refuses to play the right beats and stuff, and he doesn't give me any suggestions for us to play, i know a cuple more drummers, but idk if they'll do it, and this guy's the best one i know, and i'm hoping that he'll straighten out if i just take him out of the equation all together, then he'll want to come back, but i'm not sure, do y'all have any better ideas?

BFMV fan
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
make a compromise so he doesn't get bored

shenanigans
01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
That guy sounds like a tool..ditch him and get the other people you know. Just tell them to get a little better.

webbtje
:fart: I have a very good friend who plays drums, and it is just me and him playing so far, but I found out 2 guys on my basketball team play guitar and bass, so i want to bring them into the equation, but the drummer is starting to be weird, i say weird because when were playing and i say to play a song, i count off, and he just doesn't play!!! when i ask him why he does it, he says he doens't want to reherse,a1nd this is within the first few minutes of the "rehersal" start, and hes holding my musical "career" back, and i dont want him to hold the other future members back, and he refuses to play all the songs I come up with for us to cover, and there's only one song that we can play right in the year we've been playin together, and on some songs he refuses to play the right beats and stuff, and he doesn't give me any suggestions for us to play, i know a cuple more drummers, but idk if they'll do it, and this guy's the best one i know, and i'm hoping that he'll straighten out if i just take him out of the equation all together, then he'll want to come back, but i'm not sure, do y'all have any better ideas?

You answered your own question.

Ditch the guy, he seems a first-class knob-jockey. If he whinges, rape his mother.

jimmyhotpants
well if he's like that he might be like that throughout your "career" so if you do end up getting into it and making a name for yourselves, he could cause problems. probably best to get rid of him as soon as you find someone else, but you may as well keep him on until you do to find someone more suited to it

Ez0ph
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
What is he, eight?

U should tie him up inside one of the drums and play like inferno from behemoth on it

havocrus
01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Careful, good drummers are hard to find. All bandmembers should have a meeting to discuss what each is looking for in the present "equation". Who made you boss? Maybe the drummer is feeling like a worker bee, with no input. Not everyone out there is playing to be a "star", some just like playing as a hobby. I'm content doing bar covers to get them dancing and drinkin', so I can get paid, then earn some real money at my day job. Good luck. Be firm, assertive, compassionate when in the meeting.

Fongie
01-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Careful, good drummers are hard to find. All bandmembers should have a meeting to discuss what each is looking for in the present "equation". .

You seem to have missed something dude. The "bandmembers" are just him and the drummer.

guitardude34875
01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Careful, good drummers are hard to find. All bandmembers should have a meeting to discuss what each is looking for in the present "equation". Who made you boss? Maybe the drummer is feeling like a worker bee, with no input. Not everyone out there is playing to be a "star", some just like playing as a hobby. I'm content doing bar covers to get them dancing and drinkin', so I can get paid, then earn some real money at my day job. Good luck. Be firm, assertive, compassionate when in the meeting.

that sounds like a good idea, and i only act like the boss because he won't do it, and i kinda need him to be in line, because we haven't even gotten close to bar covers and stuff, i think mayb hes lazy, or something, but thx for the idea of a meeting, i like it

werty22
01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Why does he refuse to play?

guitardude34875
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
You seem to have missed something dude. The "bandmembers" are just him and the drummer.

well not exactly, ive played and worked with the 2 guys, and the drummer too, but i haven't worked with em all together, but we need to get a couple rehersals under our belt before their officialy in yet, but i don't think i'll change my minds bout 'em, and i call em bandmembers cuz its easier than "2 guys on my basketball team that i want to be in my band but haven't rehersed with tham and the drummer"

guitardude34875
01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
Why does he refuse to play?

i dont know, if i knew i could maybe work with him to get him to play, but i dont know which concerns me

werty22
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
i dont know, if i knew i could maybe work with him to get him to play, but i dont know which concerns me
That's weird. I guess you should ask him what's up if you haven't already. If he won't tell you or he keeps behaving like this, get rid of him.

SlackerBabbath
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
This drummer sounds like he might be working through some personal mental issues to me. It just seems like weird behaviour, (or, for quite a lot of drummers, it could be perfectly normal. :D ) and it might just be possible that he's having some sort of breakdown. I've seen this kinda behaviour before and it can quite often lead up to something.
Has there been any recent changes in him? Is he a lot quieter than he normaly is? Is he having extreme mood changes? Is he doing anything else that seems weird?
If so, try sitting the guy down as a friend and asking him if he's got any problems he feels like talking about.

DuffMcKagan7179
01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
What is he, eight?

U should tie him up inside one of the drums and play like inferno from behemoth on it
That was just about the greatest comment I've seen on this site yet. +10

Vader Tater
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
A very newby question, but are all drum sets like $600? This is the only problem my band are having, we're all broke.

z4twenny
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
^ you can get a cheapy beginner set at most big music stores (guitar center and places like that) for around $250 , still not CHEAP but comparatively cheap. thats a bass, 2 toms, a snare, floor tom, prolly a ride and high hat (additional cymbals sold seperately)

Vader Tater
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
^ Yeah, I'll check it out when I got to get a strap pin.
Thanks

dullsilver_mike
01-11-2008, 05:19 AM
How is he a better drummer than the other drummers you know if he... WON'T DRUM!?!?

Start talking to other drummers, if one will sit in, talk to the guitar and bass players about booting the old drummer.