Playing chords with a capo.

PDA

View Full Version : Playing chords with a capo.

Zvahl
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
How would I do this? Say for example I want to play a C chord. Would I fret the C shape with my fingers on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fret or would I just have to fret the 4th string on the 2nd fret and the 5th string on the 3rd fret?

Spanky209
01-04-2008, 10:07 PM
You would play the same shape you would normally play without the capo, only moved down however many frets from the top of the guitar to where the capo is placed.

cratskomodo
01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
you stick the capo on whatever fret you want, and play the chord as if the capo was the 0 fret.

mrpotter
01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
same shapes man. capo just is like moving the nut.

kidsthesedays
01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
it depends on where you have the capo. from the way you're describing it, you've got a capo on the first fret i think? since you wouldn't fret on the 2nd fret otherwise...um lemme thing what a c chord for that would be...

mute the 6th string
3rd fret 5th string
2nd fret 4th string
i dont' see away around muting the 3rd string unless you want a but stretch or a 7th chord
open 2nd string
3rd fret first string

hope that's what you're talking about

edit:

what they're talking about isn't playing a c chord...just the c shape

i guess that's what you were really asking

tom183
01-05-2008, 04:33 AM
How would I do this? Say for example I want to play a C chord.

Depends where you have the capo obviously. No matter where it is though, all you have to do is put your fingers anywhere you want as long as you're only playing C E and G notes.

silly6-string
01-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Where ever u put the capo is where the nut is. So if u put the capo on the 3rd fret the new nut is on the 3rd fret.

steven seagull
01-05-2008, 07:03 AM
How would I do this? Say for example I want to play a C chord. Would I fret the C shape with my fingers on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fret or would I just have to fret the 4th string on the 2nd fret and the 5th string on the 3rd fret?

the capo effectively transposes the open strings up, so as an exampe a capo on the 3rd fret would mean your guitar was tuned.

g
D
Bb
F
C
G

that means the open 5th string is C so you can play the normal open A shape and it will now be C. Basically if you want to use a capo easily you need to learn some notes, also knowing barre chords is pretty much vital if you want to keep things as simple as possible...the open strings change but all the fretted notes remain the same, so as long as you know where your root notes are you can still play any chords.