Am I being too mean?

PDA

View Full Version : Am I being too mean?

RobinTrower12
01-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Ok here's the deal. I'm in a band with 2 other guys. We've booked our first gig at a community centre and I really think my band has some good chemistry. The thing is, now that we're playing gigs there's another guitarist who's asking to join our band. We tried playing with this guy before and he just got bored, complained and wanted to watch Youtube videos instead of jam. I'm pretty sure he wants to play with us now just because we're doing gigs. My band's drummer and I really DO NOT want this guitarist playing with us.

But my bassist is really good friends with the other guitarist. And now my bassist is getting pissed at me and thinks I'm being too harsh on the guitarist.

I want to remain friends with everyone, but this other guitarist really restricted us when we played with him before. I would prefer to be in a trio regardless of what other guitarist was trying to join the band.

What do you guys think I should do? (i hope my post was clear enough to understand!)

civildp1
01-05-2008, 12:51 AM
tell the bass player that you'll have a test practice with him, and then when it comes time to vote whether or not he's in the band, you and the drummer can just vote it down.

Hellscream91
01-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Ok here's the deal. I'm in a band with 2 other guys. We've booked our first gig at a community centre and I really think my band has some good chemistry. The thing is, now that we're playing gigs there's another guitarist who's asking to join our band. We tried playing with this guy before and he just got bored, complained and wanted to watch Youtube videos instead of jam. I'm pretty sure he wants to play with us now just because we're doing gigs. My band's drummer and I really DO NOT want this guitarist playing with us.

But my bassist is really good friends with the other guitarist. And now my bassist is getting pissed at me and thinks I'm being too harsh on the guitarist.

I want to remain friends with everyone, but this other guitarist really restricted us when we played with him before. I would prefer to be in a trio regardless of what other guitarist was trying to join the band.

What do you guys think I should do? (i hope my post was clear enough to understand!)
What I would do in this situation...Tell your bassist the guitarist will need discipline. Then you get up and the guitarist's grill and sit his ass the **** down and tell him how you do and if he doesn't do how you do like you do do the boot to the ass and he'll be flying the **** outta your band.

martyr1130
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
if he didnt wanna practice, and just watch videos, then yeah, thats bad

Hellscream91
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
if he didnt wanna practice, and just watch videos, then yeah, thats bad
Although youtube is quite tempting...

sidvicious182
01-05-2008, 12:55 AM
a second guitarist is ALWAYS a good idea. always. but not this guy, he seems annoying.

losing_life
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
I had a drummer like that before, all he wanted to do is play video games, we hadnt played any gigs yet, so it was easy for me to just quit and start my own band (without him) I think what your doing is right, not to harsh at all

RobinTrower12
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM
ya this guitarist obviously would not be a good addition to my band. it's just my bassist is being so defensive of him and doesn't want to hurt anyones feelings.

fretsonfire74
01-05-2008, 12:58 AM
well go majority, 2 against one. you win.

E V H 5150
01-05-2008, 01:14 AM
ya this guitarist obviously would not be a good addition to my band. it's just my bassist is being so defensive of him and doesn't want to hurt anyones feelings.

Tell him it's not personal; in the interest of the music, it's better to have members that are more willing to use practice time for music instead of video games. I'm in a band like that. Except, I'm kinda the only one that wants to get anything done.

RobinTrower12
01-05-2008, 01:29 AM
alright, i'll just have to have a talk with my bassist and the other guitarist. thanks for the input everyone!

TimbreWolf
01-05-2008, 04:56 PM

well do you really need another guitarist? i wouldnt take a second guitarist just on someones friendship with him. if the music required an additional guitarist maybe, and if you need him, set him aside and explain that you want to stay focused on the band and creating music.

RobinTrower12
01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
well do you really need another guitarist? i wouldnt take a second guitarist just on someones friendship with him. if the music required an additional guitarist maybe, and if you need him, set him aside and explain that you want to stay focused on the band and creating music.

Not really. We would have to change a lot of our songs or learn entirely new ones to effectively incorporate another guitarist. Still, my bassist is insisting we give this guy another chance just because we have to 'remain friends.' I think our music should take priority though..

v8ko
01-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Bringing someone in that isnt needed is the bigger mistake than making one band member happy. Who is the "leader" of the band? If its you then you should certainly listen to what the band is saying but at the end of the day it is the leaders decision...be it a vote to decide or a more dictatership approach with the decision being yours alone.

Just to add one more thing, nothing dissolves a band faster than one bandmate with a bad attitude. Good Luck!

irish_hooligan
01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
this guitarist sounds like a D bag, don't let him in.
have a band vote, if your drummer votes against it, than there's your answer.
if your bassist has a problem with that, then he can leave, bassists are a dime a dozen.

dullsilver_mike
01-11-2008, 05:17 AM
this guitarist sounds like a D bag, don't let him in.
have a band vote, if your drummer votes against it, than there's your answer.
if your bassist has a problem with that, then he can leave, bassists are a dime a dozen.

True except for the bassists are a dime a dozen part. I wanna know where you're playing that there is a surplus of good bass players? The ratio is usually easily 1 bass:10 guitars.

Shado\/\/dance
01-11-2008, 10:08 AM
We'll jam for maybe 30 minutes before our guitarist decides that watching a guy poop from 6 feet above a public toilet is more interesting than music.

It's okay though, everybody else focuses and we get on fine til he gets bored and comes back.

Still, YouTube = bain of my current band.

dullsilver_mike
01-11-2008, 12:56 PM
We'll jam for maybe 30 minutes before our guitarist decides that watching a guy poop from 6 feet above a public toilet is more interesting than music.

It's okay though, everybody else focuses and we get on fine til he gets bored and comes back.

Still, YouTube = bain of my current band.

practice somewhere where there is no computer?

the boogieman
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
tell the bass player that you'll have a test practice with him, and then when it comes time to vote whether or not he's in the band, you and the drummer can just vote it down.

+1, that sounds like a solid plan

scguitarking927
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
the exact same thing happened to me. What i did was told him the band was over and were all quiting b/c of school and just not enough time, and then of course none of us really quit we just let him think that we did and was playing again at the end of the week