Q&A for string changing

PDA

View Full Version : Q&A for string changing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

WlCmToTheJungle
03-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Hello! There are many guitarist that do not know how to put on strings so I will save you the embarrassment of going to your local guitar store and saying "Can you replace my strings" and having them laugh at you while walking to the back of the store.

TAKING OFF STRINGS

Because it is hard to put on new strings when the old ones are already on the guitar you must take them off first (isnt that logical? lol) The first thing i would do is loosen the string. If u dont, and i have had this happen to me you will end up with a cut lip and some brand new RUSTED strings. If you happen to do cut yourself during this process immediatly get a kleenex or something because that creates rust on strings insanely fast. Then get some wire cutters and cut off the loosened string.

Strat Style Body Electric Guitar

Step One

The first step to putting on guitar strings is to take them out of the package and straighten them out a bit so it is easier to work with them. Just unravel them and run your fingers through the string so it gets it ready to hold a lot of tension. I would recomend putting on strings one at a time so it is easier on you.

Step Two

Ok now that you've got your entire strings ready its time to put them on your guitar.On a strat you have to slide the strings through the back of the guitar. There should be a small white plate on the back on your guitar with little tiny holes. Just slide them through and they will come out of the bridge.

Step Three

Bring your string up to the tuners. Make sure that the string is in the incisions on the bridge and nut. Ok now there are also many different was to do step 3. I find it easiest to bend the string at 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch from the tuning peg. Make sure your pulling on the string slightly hard so the measurement comes out right.

Step Four

Now that you have that down slide the string through the hole in the tuning peg and start twisting the tuning peg slowly. I would tune it up a whole step, let it sit for a minute or two, then tune it up again, let it sit for a minute or two, etc. That way the string becomes comfortable with the tension and doesn't snap in two seconds.

Step Five

Now you must tune your string. It may become hard on electric tuners because they aren?t used to the tinny sound so I would tune it by ear. After its in tune sit down and play.

Acoustic Guitar

This is slightly different then putting new strings on an elecric for example and it will be a little more difficult.

Step One

Open your pack of new strings and take out the 6th string. Remember, we are changing them one at a time.
The envelope the string is in should be labeled with a string gauge -- .054 is a common gauge for the sixth string in a set of light gauge acoustic strings. Slide your fingers through them so that they become comfortable.

Step Two

If you have an acoustic with string pegs, place the ball of the string into the peg hole and pull up and towards the sound hole until it catches in a slot or groove. This may take a few tries. Once the string catches, put the string peg back into the hole, placing the grooved portion of the peg over the string. Electric guitarist will be feeding the string through a hole in the body of the guitar or the tail piece (end stop, bridge, etc.) depending on your particular guitar.

Step Three

Once you have the ball end of the string in place, pull the string over the bridge of the guitar, then the nut of the neck, and up past the tuning peg. Now i would make a 90 degree angle at the string so it winds easier. Make the angle about 3/4 of an inch above the tuning peg

Step Four

Cut the end of the string off about a half an inch past the bend in the string. Feed the bent end of the string through the hole in the tuning peg and begin to wind it, all the while keeping tension on the string so it doesn't have any slack. Once you have the string started you can take out your string winder, slide it over the tuner and wind the string until it is tight.

Step Five

Next, take off the string winder and finish tightening the string until it is in tune. Repeat this process for each string until they have all been changed.

Heavy Tremelo - Floyd Rose, etc

Ok this is probably one of the hardest guitars to restring so dont get discouraged

Step One

Reset all fine tuning screws located on the bridge to a middle position. Loosen the "string-lock screw" located at the back side of your bridge using an allen key. The string-lock screws are the screws that run parallel to the body of your guitar.
After several counter-clockwise turns, the string should pop free from the bridge.

Step Two

Using an allen key, loosen the "nut clamping block" (the part of the guitar where the neck meets the headstock) that covers the sixth and fifth string. Once the nut clamping block is loosened, you should be able to extract the string from the guitar.

Step Three

Now, take your replacement string, and using wire cutters, clip off the ball at the bottom end of the string. Put the freshly clipped end of the string into the saddle of the bridge. Examine the other strings to see where exactly the new string should go.
Push the string down into the saddle as far as possible. You may have to further loosen the string-lock screw.

Step Four

Using your allen key, gently but firmly tighten the string-lock screw to hold the string in place (be careful not to over-tighten!) Be sure the string stays secure in the saddle while doing this.
Feed the string under the loosened nut clamping bolt, and under the "string retainer" (the bar on the headstock that runs parallel to the nut).

Step Five

Feed the string through the tuning peg, leaving some slack in the string. Then make a 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch above the tuning peg and wind it until it becomes intune.

Gibson Style Bridge

This is one of the easier bridges to work with.

Step One

The first step to putting on guitar strings is to take them out of the package and straighten them out a bit so it is easier to work with them. Just unravel them and run your fingers through the string so it gets it ready to hold a lot of tension. I would recomend putting on strings one at a time so it is easier on you.

Step Two

Ok now that you've got your entire strings ready its time to put them on your guitar. Ok now feed the string into the saddle and then on the actual bridge you will see little incisions in it. Pull on the string gently until all the string comes out. Make sure that the string is in the incision in the bridge.

Step Three

Bring your string up to the tuners. Make sure that the string is in the incisions on the bridge and nut. Ok now there are also many different was to do step 3. I find it easiest to bend the string at 90 degree angle about 3/4 of an inch from the tuning peg. Make sure your pulling on the string slightly hard so the measurement comes out right.

Step Four

Now that you have that down slide the string through the hole in the tuning peg and start twisting the tuning peg slowly. I would tune it up a whole step, let it sit for a minute or two, then tune it up again, let it sit for a minute or two, etc. That way the string becomes comfortable with the tension and doesn't snap in two seconds.

Step Five

Now you must tune your string. It may become hard on electric tuners because they aren?t used to the tinny sound so I would tune it by ear.

Final Notes

Remember there are many different ways to replace strings. This is just how i do it. There are many other techniques. I tried not to get over descriptive and confuse you but again i hope it was helpful

Thank You

The Nameless666
03-28-2005, 12:54 AM
wow do that many ppl not know how to string a guitar?

WlCmToTheJungle
03-28-2005, 12:57 AM
you would be suprised, besides the beginners need to learn sometime

jono034
03-28-2005, 01:37 AM
much better :cheers:

Wetod
03-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Which one of those qualifies as a hardtail\string through ?

Marcel Veltman
03-28-2005, 05:02 AM
Very good idea to post this, WICmToTheJungle. Maybe our mods can make this stay on top of the threadlist, and then some cyberdude can post some pictures. The same should be done with threads explaining how to raise/lower action, how to adjust truss rods, how to clean guitars, what type of amp, etc. Just all the stuff that is asked again and again because manufacturers are afraid to insult their customers by providing basic owner manuals.

WlCmToTheJungle
03-28-2005, 10:08 AM
Yea i do not currently have a digital camera nor 3 of these guitars lol

WlCmToTheJungle
03-28-2005, 10:11 AM
can somebody plz post some pictures so its easier to understand

dwnbowden
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
You should post this as a lesson cos its really great

Mantiscabinet
03-29-2005, 08:16 PM
i can restring, the only problem for me, is that it doesn't seem to look "pretty". you know how they are usually wrapped around the tuning peg three or four times? I can't seem to do that, or make it look proper at all

WlCmToTheJungle
03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
ok well what u need to do is give the string some slack when u put it in the tuning peg, that way it looks like that, sorry i forgot to say that

high voltage
04-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey WlCmToTheJungle ? have you considered submitting this as a lesson?

Emrgncyguy7
04-06-2005, 09:42 AM
this may sound dumb, plus im not good at puttin strings on, but when i put new stings on my squier strat (yes im a noob) the bridge lifts up and stays like that when i tighten the strings and get them in tune. how do i make it not do that?

Mad Marius
04-07-2005, 08:31 AM
^tighten the springs of the tremolo, or add additional springs.

On a sidenote, the threadstarter forgot all about classical guitars.

Then again, I guess not that many have a classical guitar and I suppose if you do have one, you would already know at least the basics.

Emrgncyguy7
04-07-2005, 09:15 AM
how do you tighten the springs of the tremolo?

Mad Marius
04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
^ Well, the springs should be attached to some kind of metal plate which is screwed in the body of the guitar. Just tighten those screws.

Btw, seeing as though you're new and all... if you want to make corrections to your post there's and EDIT button on the lower right, you needen't make another post to rectify your mistake.

Metalology
04-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by The Nameless666
wow do that many ppl not know how to string a guitar?

2 words... Floyd Rose

dissection
04-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Wetod
Which one of those qualifies as a hardtail\string through ?

I am curious about this as well.

wilty00
04-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I ****in suck at this. I cannot do it for the life of me. My teacher taught me it a long time ago but i hadnt changed them in a long time. Ive beenat it for 20 minutes. I feel like such a moron. Step 3 of the gibson part doesnt make alot of sense to me.. thats where im stuck.

WlCmToTheJungle
04-17-2005, 03:32 PM
ok what you want to do is place it in the incisions in the bridge and bring the string up to the tuning pegs while keeping the string in the incisions in the bridge and the nut. Ok now bring the string up to the tuning peg and bend it about 3/4 of an inch away from the peg. Ok now that its bent put the string in the hole in the tuning peg and keep hold of the string so it doesnt come out. Then tighten

pajamaboy206
04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't understand how you are supposed to tune the guitar once you get the strings on there... The strings make a really thin noise and I can't tell if it's in tune or not, infact just a min ago I tried to tune it after putting strings on there and my b string snapped and left a big gash in my finger (not that I'm complaining about the cut) and yes I did slowly tighten the strings like it says here in the lesson but on my tuner the B string was still flat compared to what it needed to be in normal tuning.

Anyways when does that really tinny noise go away on ur strings?

Logz
04-25-2005, 08:17 PM
^ You have to feel the string which goes down the neck under the end of the string which comes out the tuner. It should look like the picture below when you've wound it properly.

Try to find a song which plays the low e open, then tune your low E to that.

If your B string is snapping and cutting you like that, you've most probably tuned it too high. Its happened to my a few times before while trying a very alternate tuning.

You also have to stretch your strings in as you wind them.

Wannabeatle
04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Mad Marius
On a sidenote, the threadstarter forgot all about classical guitars.

Then again, I guess not that many have a classical guitar and I suppose if you do have one, you would already know at least the basics.

It would still be a good idea to have it up, I had to find an online tutorial the first time I changed strings on my classical.

joyzeelife
05-02-2005, 03:13 PM
how do you put the strings on a bass, they're is a hole going down the thing you tie the string around...what do i do?

DoGaLoG
05-04-2005, 01:55 PM
how do you put the strings on a bass, they're is a hole going down the thing you tie the string around...what do i do?

Pretty Sure Its The Same As Any Other Guitar..... ur on about the peg Right.... u kinda confused me

PianoBlackSP
05-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah I need hel on this too. Does anyone know a simple way to string my tele? Cause its like the tuners on the P Bass, it has a a hole at the top of it.

DiGiTaLiS
05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
can any one help me with my floating tremolo? it's really hard to restring...

dwnbowden
05-12-2005, 01:29 PM
what gauge would ppl reccomend for funk rock

Jonneh
06-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Cheers for the thread, im not new to changing strings but I swear I do it differently every time, for fear of looking like an ass going back into the shop and asking them to do it

all together now... 'n00000b'

Logz
06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by dwnbowden
what gauge would ppl reccomend for funk rock

id say nines or tens

Chaos Maggot
06-02-2005, 04:37 AM
I've got a Warlock with a Widow headstock, how would I string that?

And also, what brands and gauges would you reccomend for heavy metal and bluesy type stuff?

Logz
06-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by lsflmaker91
wow i had only been playing guitar for around 4 months. i had no idea that so many ppl have such a hard time stringing their guitar.

HOW STUPID CAN U POSSIBLY GET!?!?!??!!

dont be such an arrogant prick.

i can guarentee you, you dont know a quater of the things i know, but i dont go round calling you stupid.

radiantmoon
06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I have always had my own funny way of changing guitar strings and would like someone to explain to me in a simple manner what the correct process is,i have tried looking at websites but they seem to leave me more confused, the whole put string through, then leave slack , then turn anti clockwise, then loop over the string all seems very foreign to me!! i need someone to explain in an idiot proof manner!! i have noticed strings in guitar stored look really neat and tidy in the machine heads, mine however stick out and dont seem to be wrapped around like others ive seen!! i can play guitar quite well but cant even change strings properly, could smeone once and for all put an end to this ongoing nightmare!! any help would be very much appreciated

radiantmoon
06-06-2005, 09:19 AM
this is wat im talking about

radiantmoon
06-06-2005, 09:24 AM
ok

blink_x41
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
You should say an easy way to cut the extra string from the tunning peg =)

Logz
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by radiantmoon
this is wat im talking about

the Low E should have about 3 windings around the tuning peg, and the thiner the strings, the more windings they should get.

thread through your string, and have about 10cm coming out the other side, then start winding. when the end of the string gets to meet the string again, make sure the strin which you wont be cutting off goes UNDER the peice of string you threaded through. I hope that made sense.

As you wind, pull the string so you get tension on it, and you can control the direction of the windings by moving the strnig up or down.

radiantmoon
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
some pictures would be more helpful

Logz
06-07-2005, 10:51 PM
ill try post some soon.

Darkel
06-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Question. Why should you cut off the string? I just slacken it off with the tuning knobs, and then poke it through the back.

SamDking
06-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Should the new string sound tinny when you first put a new one in?

Logz
06-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Darkel
Question. Why should you cut off the string? I just slacken it off with the tuning knobs, and then poke it through the back.

you dont have to, if you leave it long, it could poke someones eye out :p:...

but i cut mine so it looks neat. I leave about 1-1.5cm left.

Jack3n665.5
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
This months guitar world has a special about replacing strings.

dropin_biking
07-04-2005, 11:55 AM
I got my guitar for christmas and the first thing i did was change the strings cuz they were crap and when i was done i was playing it and it sounded weird so i re tuned it then it still sounded weird........after about a week i realized that i mixed up the b and e string

lol:D:D:headbang:

Gadget
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Humm after changing my strings the 4th, 5th and 6th strings make somewhat of a buzzing noise when played, even tho they are in tune. And that noise happens even when I don't have it plugged in, so it has nothing to do with amp settings. Any ideas on how to cut that noise out? Cause it really makes it impossible to play.

anti-goth
07-09-2005, 08:04 PM
i dont get the floyd rose one..help? via pm please)

2lazy2getbetter
07-14-2005, 06:11 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP ME OUT? I have a vester guitar that has a floyd rose bridge. When i tried to restring it for the first time one of my springs that held the bridge on came loose. I put it back, but ever since then i cant get it to restring correctly. The bridge gets too high and the whammie bar is rendered useless because the bridge is too tight. How do i fix it?

TeenBite
07-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Gadget: are your new strings thicker than they normally are? If so, it could be them hitting off frets. If not, then looks like you got action problems, and don't ask me how to sort them out...

/\/\()()
07-21-2005, 06:45 PM
i have a question.....t doesn't effect my playing it just looks kinda dumb...

on my floyd rose i use .10 gauge d'addario stings and tune down to Eb but the tremelo system pulls up like its in a mini dive bomb position.....i can still dive bomb but its in that pposition......oh, and by the way i have three springs in the back of my guitar if that matters

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM???

gangster-dolly
07-23-2005, 09:34 AM
I've only ever changed strings once... it was such a bitch. That was a long time ago so I've now since forgotten. Ergh.

This is great help though, I'll be sure to read this through more thoroughly when I can be arsed changing my strings.

LyNnKiNpArK
07-26-2005, 05:24 PM
i suck at this.. i already broke 2 strings lol

Kriza
07-30-2005, 06:21 PM
hey
im a newbie, proud newbie

Strat, squier
i was watchin the dvd to learn how to tune the guitar
and while playin "tzinngggg", i found the string flyin, now i dnt know how to put it where it was.

so as this thread says...i insert the string from the back in that white plastic thingie and it comes out from the other side (front)...but i keep on pullin it, and the end of the string comes out from the front
and i insert it again from the back...and it comes out, all of it from the front

now what? why it's not fixed inside? wt shld i do? is there anythin missin?

jimmyjazz03
08-05-2005, 11:06 PM
i think string changing is quite easy for me, and i learned on my own. But i guess it takes me longer to do other things than it does for others to do that particular task quickly. Does that make sense?

lookie here
08-08-2005, 12:44 PM
chnging strings is fun to me:D

wetwilly_600
08-09-2005, 01:25 AM
okay i have a string through body style guitar (omen 6). i need someone to tell me if this is right.

to take out string unwind it all the way and slowly pull it out the the body.

get a new string stretch it out a bit pull it through body place on the bridge. pull it up to the top of neck put it in the string placement thing at the top of the neck. This is the part that gets me do i pull it through the tuning peg first and then start wrapping it or do i start wrapping a bit and pull it through a bit after? Thanks

JJK
08-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I have a Floyd Rose and it's not that hard to change strings on it. I changed them yesterday actually, only took me like an hour.

stargzr50
08-17-2005, 02:59 AM
so im a relative noob at changing strings... did it for the first time on my strat copy today. it has a normal tremolo system. my problem is this: when i get the low E in tune, the tremolo lifts up a little cuz the string is too tight. but if i loosen it, its not in tune... what do i do?

Xephus
08-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by stargzr50
so im a relative noob at changing strings... did it for the first time on my strat copy today. it has a normal tremolo system. my problem is this: when i get the low E in tune, the tremolo lifts up a little cuz the string is too tight. but if i loosen it, its not in tune... what do i do?
Yeah i got exactly the same problem.
my Ibanez's bridge has ever since i changed all the strings no permanent position anymore.
It changes while tuning and it does change as well overe night.
Tried to set it to one position and then tune the strings but that doesnt work.

Its quite frustrating.

J_dawg2992
09-01-2005, 11:06 PM
D'Addorio strings or sumthin r good... sorry.. im a newbie

dentalbrace
09-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey guys....I thought I'd clarify a few things on here. Changing strings can be and is often one of the most frustrating facets of maintaining your guitar's health.

First of all, a lot of people ask me how often you should change them, and what strings to use, etc. There are many factors that go into this and I'll briefly explain them. These are in no particular order.

1) This is only an approximation, but if you play daily for 1-2 hours, I would change the strings at least twice a month. For those who play less, monthly or every 6 weeks should be good. For those who barely play at all, strings can last a very long time, especially for those who play acoustic. Acoustic strings are usually made from bronze, and the material is much more resilient than nickel, which comprises most electric strings. Acoustic strings are also much thicker, and are less susceptible to string erosion as electrics are.

2) Wash your hands before you play! You wouldn't believe what oil and dirt from your skin can do to your string life. Always wash your hands with basic soap and water and you'll be shocked at how much longer the strings will last.

3) Buy strings that accommodate your style. I personally play alternative/modern rock. A lot of the songs that I play are tuned in very low keys, so I buy strings that accent the added slack from tuning lower.

My personal recommendation? For standard tuning, dropped-D and 1/2 step down, check out the Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom set. I use these on a Gibson SG, and in my opinion, they are the best strings money can buy. They have a terrific tone and they last FOREVER. The gauges (from low E to high E) are: 52, 42, 30, 17, 13, and 10. I have used these strings for a very long time now and I haven't found one other brand/type of set that I've been more satisfied with than these.

For tuning really low (Db or lower), check out Ernie Ball's Beefy Slinky set. They are THICK! They just started selling these pretty recently, and I have been very happy with not only the lifespan, but the tone improvement! I utilize these on a Gibson Les Paul tuned down a 1/2 step and dropped-D (so the low E is Db) and the tone is remarkable. The gauges for these are (from low to high again): 54, 42, 30, 22p (meaning plain, not wound), 15, and 11.

4) As mentioned already in the initial post, you should only change one string at a time. Not only is this more convenient, but the neck on your guitar will love you for it. The strings put a tremendous amount of tension on the wood of the neck, and removing all of that tension at once is very harmful for the truss rod and the action. Changing one string at a time is much easier for the guitar, and you will find that it will adjust much easier to different string gauges, if you try different sizes.

5) Tune your guitar PRIOR to changing the strings. This makes it easier to tune the new strings when you wind them up. If you change only one at a time, you can use the traditional tuning method to tune whatever string you changed to the one either above or below it, and then use an electronic tuner to get it exact.

6) Stretch your strings! This is a tad difficult for beginners, as often you will stretch too hard and break your newly wound string. The key of stretching is removing slack from not only the tuning heads, but also the bridge. Slowly grasp the string between the 3rd and 12th fret and gently (GENTLY) tug the string in both directions (toward you and away). Tune back up to the correct pitch and then let your guitar sit for about 20 - 30 minutes. After letting it sit, stretch them again, tune back up appropriately and play! Stretch them often--you will notice instantly that they last longer and retain tone.

7) Winding them correctly around the tuning pegs is key. If you have a headstock that has all of the keys on the top of your neck, you need to wind them so that they rise in pitch in a counterclockwise fashion. If your keys are located on the bottom of the headstock, you need to tune clockwise. For Gibson style necks (Paul Reed Smith, Hamer, etc.), you need to tune the E, A and D counterclockwise and the G, B and high E clockwise.

I hope this helps! E-mail me at tbird@exosonicmusic.com if you want some individual help!

-TBird

mrbeanconqueror
09-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually, it is okay to take off all the strings at one go and changing them all at once. I find this more convenient as I can take some time to clean my fretboard and the space between the pickups. As long as the first string you insert into the guitar is the thinnest string, it is okay.

dentalbrace
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't personally recommend changing them at once, but you do bring up a good point. Cleaning the components is a bit hard to do if you don't. I just use a brush or something to get in between the strings to get to the pickups, the bridge, etc.

blackbird3375
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a strat style body, and although I can change the strings without instructions( which is great for beginners by the way) I always loose my set-up and have to adjust the springs. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Stimpomatic
09-22-2005, 09:05 PM
when i restring my guitars, i put them through the bridge then to the tuner like anyone else would. BUT to strecth them, i pull them towards my body at about the 5th or 7th fret, and when i start to get some tension on the string, i set the string in the nut. after i tighten them in this manner they stay in tune pretty well and i almost alwaysplay when im done restringing my guitar.

mattutaylor
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
I ****in suck at this. I cannot do it for the life of me. My teacher taught me it a long time ago but i hadnt changed them in a long time. Ive beenat it for 20 minutes. I feel like such a moron. Step 3 of the gibson part doesnt make alot of sense to me.. thats where im stuck.

Same here - I bought a new string for my high E last friday - ive changed them before and did everything the same, but the new string just snapped!! ive just been and got myself a new one and this one feels like its going to aswell.

Night_Lights
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
ok, ive just followed the steps to restringing my ibanez with locking bridge, and i have a problem- the bridge is pulled way back, to the maximum, right after i took out all the old strings. i put new ones on, and tried using the screws on the bottom under the plate to fix the bridge but its having no effect. so, the bridge is pulled waaay back, the action of guitar is nonexistant, and i cant play it at all since the strings action is low. help!

edit: i think my mistake was taking all the old strings off at once, ok, so how do i fix this?????? i really dont want to take it to the shop, theyll take $80 from me

Dr. No
10-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Whenever I go to tighten them..it wont stick, so I'll tighten harder and it will break. What am I doing wrong besides being a complete idiot?

Waylander
10-03-2005, 03:19 PM
I just strung my guitar for the first time, I think I did a ****ty job. Some of the strings didn't coil down they way they were supposed to and it looks pretty rugged. If left this way could I possibly hurt my guitar? Or is their no need for perfection for someone who is just learning anyway? All the strings feel like I can get them tight enough to tune and play...If I do need to undo them and try again, should I just attempt it with the same strings or are they shot?

Nybb
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
My advice for first-time string changers: just go for it. It might look and sound really intimidating, but it's actually pretty easy as long as you don't do anything stupid. And hey, what's the worst that could happen? I guess you could lose a hand, but those things are overrated anyways.

And a question...how often should one replace bass strings? Same as guitar?

S0ulja23
11-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks! This really helped cause even after playing for 4 years,I still haven't had the energy (or patience) to learn how to restring a guitar

cloginator
11-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Hey, nice explanations, especially the Floyd Rose one (I strung up mt first Floyd Rose about a week ago, too bad I didnt find this guide in time).

Profound
11-20-2005, 05:41 PM
thanks alot this really helps especially how it tells you how on a couple kinds of guitars....I have a Squier Affinity Fat Strat

johnelle
11-28-2005, 09:31 PM
help me how to tune my guitar?

jj1565
11-28-2005, 09:50 PM
do u have an electronic tuner? and what kind of guitar is it?

monkey dust
12-06-2005, 04:08 PM
hey soz guys but am i bit of a noob and i duno which version my guitar is its a Ibanez GGRG170DX
http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict00060my.jpg
i think its the strat one but im not sure

help me how to tune my guitar?

if u have a microphone for your pc u can download a program called AP guitar tuner its free thats what i use for mine works like a charm

demonic dog
12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
ERGENT:hey guys how many windings should you do for string G?

neowings
12-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I broke my low E string twice because my tuner kept showing 4d or 7b, however, I want to get to E. So, I kept twisting it and it breaks. I have no problem with the other strings but the low E string. Can anyone help??

silvermoon
12-18-2005, 06:19 PM
anyone know how to restring using bullet end strings?

Innit
12-29-2005, 10:40 AM
hey guys how many windings should you do for string G?

I don't ever do a certain amount of windings for each string to tune it because i feel that it'll be tuned wrongly. I have a tuner, but the most simple way of tuning your guitar is somehow getting the Bottom string (in guitar terms) which is a E string (the thick one) tuned and the playing the fifth fret on the E string and playing the A string at the same time. You have to make the A string sound the same as the fifth fret of the E string. Do the same with all the strings except the B string, whach has to sound the same as the 4th fret of the string above.

Innit
12-29-2005, 10:43 AM
I broke my low E string twice because my tuner kept showing 4d or 7b, however, I want to get to E. So, I kept twisting it and it breaks. I have no problem with the other strings but the low E string. Can anyone help??

Tune your low E string with your high E string, same note just that the low E string sounds lower.

Innit
12-29-2005, 10:46 AM
anyone know how to restring using bullet end strings?

Bullet end strings as in strings with the round knob at the end?? If so, on my guitar, I have 6 little holes in a line at the back of the head of the guitar. Try to fish the knobs out of there, but first you have to either cut or unwind the string completely.

To restring the you put the end of the new string in the hole at the back and try to get it out the other end. Once you see it it's pretty simple and straight forward.

Skar
01-03-2006, 03:59 PM
I've been reading all these questions on how to string a guitar, and even though I haven't gotten mine yet (sending money order for AL-2500 today :D), I may be of some help. But of course, if what I say is complete bs, just ignore it. :P

While I was wondering how to replace pickups on a Les Paul style guitar, I stumbled across a video of Seymour Duncan's instructional clip on how to change pickups.

At the beginning, he mentions when you are going to do any sort of work on the guitar, the way to unstring your guitar is to loosen them first, and cut (or just uncoil them and take them out, if you want to use them again). Then it goes into the whole 'taking your guitar apart' stuff which need not be mentioned here.

At the end, he shows how to restring. Now, considering most of you would've read the first post, you would know how put the string in and everything (also, the video did not show this part :P), so we will skip to actually putting them through the peg and everything. Now I have read the original poster's method of putting the string through the hole while giving it a little slack between the nut and peg, and twisting the tuning peg until taught (I am guessing this is how it goes, please correct me if i'm wrong). In the video, it mentioned you should pull the string somewhat hard to the nut, and use one of your fingers to press it against the headstock and keep it firmly taught. Then,

Now, for all you people with Floyd Roses, I think I may have some sort of 'idea' on stringing it differently. I'm not sure if this method is easier (although it seems to be a good idea if your string breaks near the bridge, I dunno), but this apparently how Tom Morello of Audioslave (formerly of Rage Against The Machine) does it. He puts the string in 'backwards' with the ball-end nearest to the headstock. I'm not completely sure on this, but apparently he feeds the string through the hole (opposite of ball-end first obviously :P), all the way to the locking bridge, and somehow locks it into place in the bridge. Sorry I can't be more clear on this, but its an idea. :\

If your string breaks near the bridge, I think you can just loosen the nut, take that little piece of string out, uncoil the string at the peg, and feed a little more of the string through, then lock it into place. Of course, by using this method, you wouldn't cut any excess string away from the tuning peg.

If someone can clarify these methods, I would be most thankful.

(first post :P)

SomeRandomGuy
01-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Mmmkay, so I have an Epi Les Paul (Special II to be specific).

And I've only been playing the guitar for a few weeks now, but alas, the high (in terms of pitch...meaning it's the thinnest string) E string has snapped. Was in the middle of playing and I hit the E string and there it goes. Upon pulling it out I found that it snapped at the loop which was threaded through the bridge. Yea, I'm assuming a string snapping in the middle of playing means that I had too much tension going on...

I had just tuned it too and found out that I had actually tuned the thing in a not-so-cool way. I tuned the high E string (snapped one) first, then tuned the B string at the 5th fret to the high E, then the G at the 4th fret to the B string and so on. Upon the snapping I read some shtuff I probably should have already went through and found out that you usually either go from the low E downwards or do both E's and then work towards the middle.

Hrm, so other than tuning it differently, is there anything I might have been doing wrong? I mean I only had the guitar for a few weeks... Unless it's normal for strings to snap that often. In which case. Wow. I need to buy a couple of sets of stringing. ^^

(Also, I don't know if it matters but I happened to be fingerpicking when it happened... and have been fingerpicking pretty much the whole time...)

jj1565
01-08-2006, 08:04 AM
the only things that matter...
the type of bridge, guitar, strings u were using.
if u had it tuned too high.

if its a starter guitar, the strings that came with it might be weak. (epi speciAL)
also the bridge might be a little sharp.( the saddle)
if it was tuned too high it was just waiting to be snapped.
and when u change strings take off one at a time. not all strings at once.
helps prevent extra set up adjustments.

if u think u might have a sharp point or didnt string it correctly then repost.

SomeRandomGuy
01-08-2006, 01:18 PM
One more thing I didn't realize when I posted...

I think I might have lost the nut or whatever it is that holds the string to the bridge...

I didn't even realize that the part the string was threaded through wasn't on the bridge itself but was actually held in the little cavities there...

And so in short I didn't bother looking for it when the string snapped and now I can't find it. >.<

jj1565
01-08-2006, 02:08 PM
hmm. every string has a little ball at the end to hold it in the bridge.

when u took off the other string (maybe cut it off) and the ball end of the old string rolled away thats ok, u dont need it.

if u meant any other part. try to be more specific.
we are talking about an epi LP right?

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricstandard.html
How to replace strings, with pictures.

SandmaN211
01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
found this video on the net, teaches you how to properly setup and restring ur guitar for those having trouble trying to keep a floyd rose bridge in tune

http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/TPS/VIDPGS/VIDPG1.html

hope someone can sticky this so newbs wont keepin asking how :)

bjovi400
01-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I have been playing for about 2 years on 3 different guitars and I have never had to replace my strings so this will help alot when I do.

callumirvine
01-29-2006, 02:58 PM
hi, on the gibson style guitar restringingi didnt really understand that concept.. i got step 1 & 2 but after i am just lost, can someone simplify this in dumass terms for me or give me a simalar way, thanks people

punkman_123
02-02-2006, 03:56 AM
I've never re-strung my steel-string acoustic so I need to learn now...

You know those plastic round pegs that are on the bridge at the end of each string? Do they need to come out when re-stringing? What are they for? Last time I sent my geetar in for a service the morons broke one of the pegs so the top of it easily comes out of it's hole. Should I replace them and if so, how much are they and are there different types?

Thanks.

jj1565
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
yes that peg "bridge pin," would need to come out.
they are not expensive and are sold where strings are sold.

if u didnt see them in the store, u could use a small toothpick part, or piece of paper to make the bridge pin more snug in that hole.

here is a picture tutorial, how to replace acoustic strings. repost with questions.
if a bridge pin gets struck. u can use an upsidedown spoon to lever it out after the string has been loosened.....
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_acoustic.html

punkman_123
02-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Sweet thanks a lot :)

jj1565
02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
:cheers:

Iwantaguitar
02-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I have always had my own funny way of changing guitar strings and would like someone to explain to me in a simple manner what the correct process is,i have tried looking at websites but they seem to leave me more confused, the whole put string through, then leave slack , then turn anti clockwise, then loop over the string all seems very foreign to me!! i need someone to explain in an idiot proof manner!! i have noticed strings in guitar stored look really neat and tidy in the machine heads, mine however stick out and dont seem to be wrapped around like others ive seen!! i can play guitar quite well but cant even change strings properly, could smeone once and for all put an end to this ongoing nightmare!! any help would be very much appreciated

Ok the same exact noobish problem happens to me. For some reason the strings get the tension they need before the string can make more than one winding or two windings and it doesn't look wrapped around the thing. My teacher told me that it was necessary to have several windings so that the string wouldn't lose its tune.
ok can someone pls explain how the hell to do this???? I read the posts about leave slack or something about leaving 10cm of the end of the string but I didn't understand im very lost. I've already ruined like 4 brand new strings and also made the mistake of taking all of the old strings off at the same time.

Pls help I have quit my practice because of my stupid frustration someone pls tell me something I do understand pictures whatever      

jj1565
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
ok 2 wraps is fine. three is better but as u string more, ur technique will improve.

let me look for some pictures for u....

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/slack.jpg

ok , in this picture the guy ran the string up from the bottom of the guitar towards the tuners.
then he lifted the string in the air. (yellow arrow.)

this draws the string backwards and leaves him alot of extra string, all in front of the tuner (white arrow.)
when he's happy that he lifted the string high enough he bends the string at the tuner. and starts winding that extra long floppy string from the bend (in the string.)

so before it gets tight, he's winding and winding, wrapping the string around the tuner, until the slack picks up.

he's making sure the slack goes under the hole in the tuner, and that keeps it all in place.

ok here is a link again. check out the picture and ask questions.

Iwantaguitar
02-08-2006, 06:07 PM
God bless you my friend that was what I needed to read    

jj1565
02-08-2006, 06:19 PM
np. and thank you. :cheers:

zelance
02-16-2006, 04:10 AM
wow that thing has a great thing, well for us who play guitar, it help us to save money cause sometimes our strings are get rust and make us embarrass in front of crowd when we play in a good sound then turn into very naughty sound, it help us alot to make better sounds, this is also very important, lol :no:

Lemoiner_01
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
ok...i just bought myself a new acoustic..i am changing strings on it for the first time...i have changed strings on my old acoustic many times before....now..the problem....when i put the peg back in....it wont stay in place...i tighten the string...the peg pops out...ive tried everything....ive ever pounded the peg with a hammer...still no luck....has this happend to anyone else before?
thanks

jj1565
02-21-2006, 07:56 PM
you can roll up a small piece of cardboard and wedge it in there. tune up, the peg will stay.

drunken ninja
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
ok i got tremolo style bridge but it's not a locking one like the floyd rose (i think it's a floating bridge). tuning my guitar to standard is such a pain in the ass! i tune one string, then it makes all the other strings out of tune and so on (same goes when i try to use the fine tuning). then if i start tightening up the strings too much, it starts to pull my tremolo down towards the body. any tips or should i just swallow my pride and take it to the music shop for help?

Master Of Shred
02-24-2006, 11:42 AM
You overlooked some points at the floyd rose style bridge, what if the bridge goes out of position? Either move up or down ANGLE wise?

I know what to do, but you should include that in your lesson.

drunken ninja
02-25-2006, 01:50 AM
You overlooked some points at the floyd rose style bridge, what if the bridge goes out of position? Either move up or down ANGLE wise?

I know what to do, but you should include that in your lesson.well tell us what to do....

Skar
02-26-2006, 11:23 PM
Wait wait...you wrap the string around the peg AFTER you put it through the hole?

No wonder I was frustrated....I was trying to get those nice wraps around and then the string would slip and unravel and...yeah, it wasn't fun.

I can't believe I overlooked this key point in all those string tutorials. :P

fuseri
03-06-2006, 05:13 PM
For the Floyd Rose Bridge, how do I know what's the proper position to the bridge?

smajatz
03-25-2006, 02:32 PM
i have a question - how do you tie the nylon strings on the bridge? pictures would be nice....thanks

jj1565
03-25-2006, 03:11 PM
ok i got tremolo style bridge but it's not a locking one like the floyd rose (i think it's a floating bridge). tuning my guitar to standard is such a pain in the ass! i tune one string, then it makes all the other strings out of tune and so on (same goes when i try to use the fine tuning). then if i start tightening up the strings too much, it starts to pull my tremolo down towards the body. any tips or should i just swallow my pride and take it to the music shop for help?

and

For the Floyd Rose Bridge, how do I know what's the proper position to the bridge?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/tremcavity.jpg

if ur bridge lifts u need to tighten the two screws in there, maybe even add a spring.
you want a level bridge...

also its helpful to "cross tune" a floyd.

u tune the thickest, then thinnest, then 2nd down from thickest, then up from thinnest, ect...

u might need to run thru the strings a couple of times to get it to stay int tune.

jj1565
03-25-2006, 03:17 PM
i have a question - how do you tie the nylon strings on the bridge? pictures would be nice....thanks

remember this site. they are great.
anyway, there are 4 pictures of how to, pics. so click on the next step at bottom of each page.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/Classical/ClassicStr/classicstr1.html

SYH_Fan
03-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Quote: Then get some wire cutters and cut off the loosened string.

On the Fender owners manual it says to NEVER cut off loosened strings, at least with tremolo/whammy bar type guitars. It messes up the set up. I know from experience.

Spaceman_Spiff
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
OK I recently tried to restring my whole guitar (strat-style) for the first time. Until now, I had only restrung individual strings when they broke, and had no problems, so I figured this would go smoothly. But first of all, by the time the strings were in tune, I didnt have them wrapped around the tuning peg more than twice. And when I was finished, I looked at my guitar, and realized the strings were tugging on the bridge, and that it had actually slanted forward. the only way I could level it out was to loosen the strings, which of course made them go horribly out of tune.

I was wondering if anyone knows what I did wrong and can help me.

Fyre Deity
04-07-2006, 06:37 PM
What happens if i dont wind the strings around the tuners more than once? Like if i put the string in there, and turn the keys until its tuned, instead of winding it a couple times?

Desk Jocky
04-07-2006, 06:53 PM
What happens if i dont wind the strings around the tuners more than once? Like if i put the string in there, and turn the keys until its tuned, instead of winding it a couple times?
YOUR GUITAR WILL BLOW UP!

....Just kidding.
The strings are more apt to go out of tune than if they were wrapped around more. That is it.
DJ

Spaceman_Spiff
04-10-2006, 09:12 AM
OK I recently tried to restring my whole guitar (strat-style) for the first time. Until now, I had only restrung individual strings when they broke, and had no problems, so I figured this would go smoothly. But first of all, by the time the strings were in tune, I didnt have them wrapped around the tuning peg more than twice. And when I was finished, I looked at my guitar, and realized the strings were tugging on the bridge, and that it had actually slanted forward. the only way I could level it out was to loosen the strings, which of course made them go horribly out of tune.

I was wondering if anyone knows what I did wrong and can help me.

Okay so I figured out that everything is fine if I tune all of the strings down a step, but I am still wondering what I did wrong in the first place

Clara_belle
04-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Ive been playing the guitar for a couple of months and I decided to replace my guitar strings as theyd gone all rusty (theyd been on for about 8 years!).

Bought some Martin strings extra light weight (id heard they hurt your fingers less). They sounded bloody awful, dull and flat (though it was in tune) and rattled on the fret board loads.

Bought some medium Martin strings, they sound better but the low especially E still sounds muddy and flat.

Ive also got a horrible buzzing sound near the bridge when i play the low E and occasionally the G. My god even restringing a cello was less hassle even with all the chalk and a moving bridge!

Do any techy types know where im going wrong. Should i go for a heavier guage different brand? is is my guitar. Im at the end of my tether as my usually pretty poor playing any way is really hard to listen to!

This is my first post this site was recommended to me by some one from the Libertines forum. I hope ive posted it in the right place!

jj1565
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Okay so I figured out that everything is fine if I tune all of the strings down a step, but I am still wondering what I did wrong in the first place

u need to turn ur guitar over and tighten the two screws in here. or add a spring. that will pull the bridge back down to normal and let u tune ur guitat again.

jj1565
04-17-2006, 06:45 PM
its an acoustic right?

is it fret buzz, buzz when the strings rub a fret, or does the buzz stop when u strum and touch the bridge at the same time?
the latter, that would indicate that ur bridge might be loose.

on a side note, im not crazy about martin strings tone wise. if we can figure out whats wrong, u might want to pick up a pack of elixers for ur next set.

in the future, post in the acoustic section. ull get more responses. i dont always remember to check back in here.

Spaceman_Spiff
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
u need to turn ur guitar over and tighten the two screws in here. or add a spring. that will pull the bridge back down to normal and let u tune ur guitat again.

Great Ill try that out tommorrow when I have some time and see if it works.

And thanks a million

jj1565
04-18-2006, 08:20 AM
you're welcome.

Clara_belle
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
its an acoustic right?

is it fret buzz, buzz when the strings rub a fret, or does the buzz stop when u strum and touch the bridge at the same time?
the latter, that would indicate that ur bridge might be loose.

on a side note, im not crazy about martin strings tone wise. if we can figure out whats wrong, u might want to pick up a pack of elixers for ur next set.

in the future, post in the acoustic section. ull get more responses. i dont always remember to check back in here.

I dont think its fret buzz as its defintately coming from the bottom. Its coming from inside i think, Im wondering if the strings are sticking down beneath the pegs?

Ill repost in the acoustic section.

Thanks
xxx

jj1565
04-18-2006, 10:04 AM
there is also wood glued inside the guitar. something might be cracked and thats why ur picking up a buzz noise.

sometimes with an acoustic, u can strum and press on different parts see if u can locate the problem.

punkrockdude2
04-20-2006, 09:43 PM
How do I re-string my fender p bass? do I cut the strings or just stick it in the hole and turn?

jj1565
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/DSC02544.jpg

does it have slotted tuners like these? where its open with a center hole?

punkrockdude2
04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
No dude its like a I think its called cutaway

jj1565
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
ok well reguardless of what ur company calls them, are they open on top with a hole in the center slit?

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricslotted.html

anyway, ur measuring past the tuner a few inches, then cutting sticking it in and turning.
measure how long ur old screws are so u get the idea.

The Spoon
05-07-2006, 11:49 PM
I dont know if this has been answered before, but how do you know what gauge the string is? Im still using the factory strings and my Low E and A strings are buzzing alot.

Thanks

jj1565
05-08-2006, 12:59 PM
depends on the type of guitar.

ususally 9 or 10's.

if ur strings are buzzing then u can raise ur action at the bridge.

repost, with your type of guitar.

The Spoon
05-08-2006, 09:27 PM
My guitar is Ibanez GAX70

jj1565
05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
well its a fixed bridge, so go for at least 10's.

if u get the 9's, ull have even less pull on the neck and probably caue more fret buzz, as the neck straightens out, and the strings are pulled closer to the board.

after u swap out for the new strings. (one at a time) then repost if u still have buzz and ill telll u how to raise ur strings a little.

The Spoon
05-10-2006, 11:49 PM
well its a fixed bridge, so go for at least 10's.

if u get the 9's, ull have even less pull on the neck and probably caue more fret buzz, as the neck straightens out, and the strings are pulled closer to the board.

after u swap out for the new strings. (one at a time) then repost if u still have buzz and ill telll u how to raise ur strings a little.
Okay, ill probably be able to get new strings tomorrow or the weekend

jj1565
06-05-2006, 07:23 AM
ok but this is a thread for people who need help. so why post in here unless u have a problem or are helping?

Dozerrox
06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey, first post as it's the first time I havn't found the help I need already posted.

I'm changing the strings on my acoustic. It doesn't have pegs though, it's just a hole you poke it though and then wrap it round to secure it.

However on the strings I bought they have a metal ring at one end. Can I just put the other end of the string though the hole and secure it like a lasso? Or should I just snip off the metal ring and secure it like the old strings?

Thanks, sorry if it's a retarded question.

jj1565
06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
is it a classical, nylon string guitar? and if so are u trying to put steel strings on it?
just making sure thats not the case.

Dozerrox
06-14-2006, 05:24 AM
Ahhh, yes it is. My noobishness is obvious now :(. I asumed that the strings had been replaced one at a time (it's a old guitar that was given to me) and that was the reason half were nylon, half were metal.

So I need to go and buy some strings for a classical guitar? Would you reccomend an online shop or just go to the guitar shops in town and ask.

Thanks for your help.

tbrit37
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
hey u might wanna explain what parts are what, because if some1 doesnt know how to string their guitar they might not know what the parts are either...

jj1565
06-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Ahhh, yes it is. My noobishness is obvious now :(. I asumed that the strings had been replaced one at a time (it's a old guitar that was given to me) and that was the reason half were nylon, half were metal.

So I need to go and buy some strings for a classical guitar? Would you reccomend an online shop or just go to the guitar shops in town and ask.

Thanks for your help.

u need to replace with all classical strings then.
otherwise ur putting too much pull on the neck.

u can get them online or at a shop. just dont leave the guitar unstrung too long. in fact u should probably replace one string at a time if u can.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=nylon+guitar+strings

not familiar with the gauges, but shoot for a middle gauge so u dont change the tension too much.

good luck. :cheers:

Raising_Hell
06-18-2006, 02:32 PM
how do you string vintage strats where there's a hole in the top? i'm having a bit of trouble

jj1565
06-18-2006, 03:20 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/DSC02544.jpg

do u mean slotted?
those are actually kind of easy once u get the idea.
remove an old string. see how long it is.
check out this guide ...
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/howtostring_electricslotted.html

if u use their method ull probably end up with ur new string as the same length as the old one.
the new tip (after u determine how long ur new string will be) gets poked right into the tuner hole.
then wrap the string around. a few times is pretty good and if u started with a few wraps on the last one, then u should be at the same spot now.

Raising_Hell
06-18-2006, 03:33 PM
i did it a little different but hey, it worked. thanks for showing me that website, i've been looking for a lesson on it for awhile now.

jj1565
06-18-2006, 05:26 PM
cool :cheers:

cheatham_usmc
06-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I have been playing for awhile, but i just have never changed my own strings because im lazy(ha ha) but i tried for the first time the other day cause i needed to learn. I cant get them to tune, what do i do?

jj1565
06-22-2006, 07:21 AM
do u have a tuner? what type of guitar is it?

http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/

use this online guitar tuner, to help u figure out how each string should sound.
compare ur strings to each of the computer generated sounds.
get ur strings as close as possible to the tones.
sometimes, when you first string, ur in the completely wrong octave.
(way too low or way too high.)

Snowblindvictim
06-23-2006, 07:34 PM
I read that in the Jimmy Page rig thread, that there was a way to string a guitar like him without the curved bridge? or maybe he doesnt even use a curved bridge maybe he just strings it differently?

jj1565
06-23-2006, 07:45 PM
sorry im not sure what u mean. can u post the thread?

soul_power
06-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Heres a trick to restringing a floyd rose Put the whammy bar in and bend it untill you have the clearence 2 but the strings in, then put the strings in duh.

Glen'sHeroicAct
07-03-2006, 08:21 PM
dude, you gotta put in the lesson that you really MUST leave some slack in some cases, or the string might not be able to wrap around the tuning peg even one time before the string is already at its proper key.

Snowblindvictim
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
HAHA, whoops i think i did something wrong this time around.
My Low E string is in and tuned but it's looser than the other strings
and its a .52

jj1565
07-03-2006, 09:15 PM
its probably tuned an octive too low.

just tune it up more and see.

Snowblindvictim
07-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe I should wind it more, or de wind the other strings

rocknrollstar
07-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Basically i have a les paul copy.

I use the Zakk Wylde stringing method. *over the tailpiece*

Anyway its got alot of buzz on my low e and my g is going out of tune quite regularly.

Any advice ?

Snowblindvictim
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
I also believe my string is hitting a fret when i play, so i hear a bit of a rattling noise. It's not heard on the amp or when i play to other people. Only i can hear a bit of a faint rattle and it's bugging the hell out of me

jj1565
07-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Basically i have a les paul copy.

I use the Zakk Wylde stringing method. *over the tailpiece*

Anyway its got alot of buzz on my low e and my g is going out of tune quite regularly.

Any advice ?

u might want to raise ur strings. how thick are they? (what gauge.)

G strings fall out of tune faster than any other. u need to make sure ur getting a few good wraps around the tuner. make sure ur tuner (in the headstock) is tight. and rub the cut of the nut that the string passes thru, with a graphite pencil. that will lube the area and hopefully, help it pass thru easier.

if ur not sure how to raise strings, then repost.

jj1565
07-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Maybe I should wind it more, or de wind the other strings

make sure its in tune in the right octave.

in other words, ur guitar tuner will read "E" a couple of times as u tune UP the string.
but sometimes its a down tuned E. and as u tighten the string, u tune it up to the "E" we are used to hearing.

so here is an online tuner...

compare the sounds of ur strings to the sounds on ur computer. then verify the tunings with ur electric tuner.

*also, a small amount of buzzing, not thru the amp is fine. if its really that hard for u to handle then raise ur strings a little.
if u want to raise ur strings (and change ur action) then repost with guitar type.

Snowblindvictim
07-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Its in the right octave.
If the slight buzzing is fine, i'll leave it then.
Thanks for your help!

jj1565
07-04-2006, 03:55 PM

amir_
07-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't know if someone else has posted this, but here is a video on youtube that shows how to replace strings on a electric guitar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRpcT11-tE

And heres one for acoustic guitars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFdztTN9Z2Y

hope this helps someone out, and i'm sorry if this has already been posted.

kiev16
07-09-2006, 10:34 PM
i need some help.... i`m starting playing the guitar and when i tune the guitar which is a strat the bridge begin eh..... to lift, and that is for me no normal.... what should i do???????

SPFan
07-10-2006, 04:41 AM
i've got a nylon stringed guitar..can i replace the nylon strings with steel ?

PGT
07-10-2006, 05:47 PM
question:
i just swapped my heavy strings for some mediums. well it sounds like my strings are touching some frets when i play. They are in tune (electric tuner). i know my guitar instructor messed with the bridge last year when he put on the heavy ones. should i raise my strings or maybe they arent on tight enough?

my neck looks like its level and my bridge is about half a mm off the body.

jj1565
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
i need some help.... i`m starting playing the guitar and when i tune the guitar which is a strat the bridge begin eh..... to lift, and that is for me no normal.... what should i do???????

tighten the springs in the back. there are two screws. this will flatten ur bridge back down.

two screws and 5 springs example.
if u need help holding it down, u can also add a spring.

jj1565
07-10-2006, 05:52 PM
i've got a nylon stringed guitar..can i replace the nylon strings with steel ?

sorry, u cant. ull bend ur neck.

jj1565
07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
question:
i just swapped my heavy strings for some mediums. well it sounds like my strings are touching some frets when i play. They are in tune (electric tuner). i know my guitar instructor messed with the bridge last year when he put on the heavy ones. should i raise my strings or maybe they arent on tight enough?

my neck looks like its level and my bridge is about half a mm off the body.

yeah u need to raise the bridge a little. heavy strings pull really hard on the headstock, so when u put on lighter strings, the neck relaxes and straightens out, and the strings fall closer to the frets. this causes buzzing.

what type of guitar is it?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/loggyz/bridgepic1.jpg
a strat type, u lower these two screws to raise each saddle. u use a tiny allen wrench to turn them.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/loggyz/tune-o-maticaction.jpg
a gibson type TOM bridge u loosen the top screw and turn the thumb wheel, pointed to by red arrow. roll it up to raise the bridge.

PGT
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
thanks, ill try that.

last time my strings were changed i know something was added to the fret board to make it last longer, some wood protectant stuff....i didnt see that mentioned in the thread. anybody else do this?

jj1565
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
most of the time its a fretboard oil, natural linseed or lemon.

dunlop, gibson, martin all make $4 fretboard cleaner conditioning oil.

if its a maple fretboard, its already finished, so u just use a guitar polish on it.
the same companies make guitar polishes for guitar Bodies, cost about $4 too.

examples of different products...
http://www.music123.com/search/Default.aspx?src=cleaner&o=1&x=14&y=14

PGT
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
ok i raised my strings but im still getting a lot of frett buzz...
maybe i should adjust the tension on my neck?

jj1565
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
what strings and what frets are buzzing?

PGT
07-10-2006, 10:28 PM
E - 2nd thru 4th
A - 2nd thru 8th
D pretty much all

jj1565
07-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
Fret the Low E at the 17th fret.

while both places are held, look at the 7-8th fret.

if the string rests on the fretwire there, u dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the fretwire there, you have too much bend.

measure and repost.

PGT
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
ok its not touching....thers a tiny space between the string and the fretwire

jj1565
07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
if u dont think u can squeeze a credit card in that space, or even a couple of med. guitar picks, you probably dont have enough bend in ur neck.

you can either put on heavier set of strings, to naturally bend it it forward again.

or u can detune the guitar, take an allen wrench of the correct size, turn the truss rod, 1/8" of an inch COUNTER CLOCKWISE. thats a very small amount.

then let the guitar sit an hour.
retune and remeasure. adjust again if needed.
dont force the turn.
repost if u have any questions.

Flea_Is_God
07-11-2006, 02:19 AM
n00b here

I restringed my first guitar today :D Sounds tonnes better, easier to play and I lowered the action in the process :headbang:

very happy now :)

jj1565
07-11-2006, 08:50 AM

PGT
07-11-2006, 07:20 PM
i took mine in to the shop today. the guy adjusted the bridge, messed with the neck, messed with the height of strings and tuned it (took 10-15min) and pretty much all of the fret buzz is gone. all for free. local shops kick ass.

kirbyrocknroll
07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
i took mine in to the shop today. the guy adjusted the bridge, messed with the neck, messed with the height of strings and tuned it (took 10-15min) and pretty much all of the fret buzz is gone. all for free. local shops kick ass.
Yes indeed :)

tromik
07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I have a Squire Strat standard, and attempted to change the strings for the first time today. I bought Elixir .010-.046 coated lights, and got them on ok, though a bit messy.

The bridge is lifting HARD though. When I sit the bridge flush to the guitar, so theres a bit of slack on the strings, and then tune the strings starting with one end, by the time I get to the other end, the first end is out of tune. So I tune it up again, and again, and then I noticed that the bridge was sitting up about a half inch. And the strings were still out of tune.

No idea what the problem is. It's pretty damn embarressing, but the local shop keeps guitars for a minumum for two weeks for restrings, which is a bit long.

Any ideas?

jj1565
07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
turn the guitar over, tighten the two screws in the back cavity.
it will lower the bridge and help it stay in tune longer.

example of a strat cavity with 5 springs and two screws.
if u need more help, u can even add a spring.

tromik
07-17-2006, 09:58 PM
turn the guitar over, tighten the two screws in the back cavity.
it will lower the bridge and help it stay in tune longer.

example of a strat cavity with 5 springs and two screws.
if u need more help, u can even add a spring.

Thanks for the help. I'll try tightening those screws in the back. The Squire only comes with two springs, but I'm wondering if I should get more, as I never use the whammy bar.

Any idea why the bridge is lifting now, when it wasn't before? Are the strings I bought a larger gauge or of a higher tension?

jj1565
07-18-2006, 09:13 AM
well most of the time ull want 3 springs.
u put them in a \l/ "V" shape. this will hold it the most stable.

u probably had on lighter strings, but even if the springs on the back are weak and are starting to give, adjustments will come up from time to time anyway.

an easy way to get a spring on, is to detune a bit, pull up on the trem, to compress the springs in the back. like that, the springs are easier to add and move around.

The Spoon
07-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I have a problem (dont laugh at me :P). I i restringed my guitar for the first time last night. Wrapping the string around the tuning post was tough, so its not very neat.

Anyway, the High E thru D string works fine. It just the Low E and A string thats a problem.

When i was tuning them, the Low E string sounded higher then the A string. *note* Today, i tried to change both the Low E and A strings again, and it still sounded the same. So i tune the A higher, until it eventually snaps (im stupid). Well im not sure what im asking, but whats the problem here?

jj1565
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
are u using an electronic tuner? there are different octaves so there can be a lower A than the low E, if that makes sense.

anyway, compare the strings tones to these online tones.

get the strings to sound close, then use the tuner to confirm the readings.

The Spoon
07-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the link, but i cant get that low sound. I only get the higher sound. If i go lower than the string starts to unravel.

and im using an electronic tuner

jj1565
07-28-2006, 07:54 PM
i think its how ur tryin to string up ur guitar.
follow this guide, and post with questions....

The Spoon
07-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Ill try that and let you know how it works.

Dublo7
08-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Does anybody know a guide to string a Floyd Rose that has pictures to follow along with?

jj1565
08-06-2006, 07:27 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6248176#post6248176

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

Dublo7
08-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Oh man, that video is perfect. Thanks so much.

jj1565
08-06-2006, 10:01 AM
yeah, i stole madpickin's thread, he's got floyd setups all written out nicely.

SimpleandClean
08-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure if this question has been posted before and quite frankly (please don't kill me), I don't quite have the time to check through ten pages just to check, so...here we go.

I just re-strung my first guitar today (hah! with no instructions whatsoever! -.- knowing me, I probably screwed up) but I checked out a few minutes ago that acoustic guitars (I have a Kawasamy cuz I'm a cheapo like that, haha) have this period of a few days where the strings will be stretched out and you just have to keep working with them. Hence, meaning that you (I) won't be able to use the guitar for the next few days, or at least until the strings stop stretching.

Can anyone verify this?

jj1565
08-11-2006, 10:39 AM
that's actually not the case.

when they suggest u stretch the strings, thats because new strings fall out of tune faster than strings already broken in.

so play away, break in the strings, tune it up a few times and it will stay in tune for u after a few tunings. (as long as u strung it up correctly that is.) ;)

Semi-Ario5491
08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
I use 12's, and I thought i'd point out that it takes a considerable amount longer for them to stretch than medium/light strings. I find it takes a few days for them to fully stretch, but once they do, they stay in tune better than thinner gauges.

Etni3s
08-14-2006, 07:04 PM
This has probably been posted before (if not then it's about time).
Found this little guide while aimlessly surfing the PRS site.
This is now how I string up my vintage tuners (yes I've decided to start calling them that now :))
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html

milla da killa
08-14-2006, 11:03 PM
I wish I had known this was here a while ago. About a month ago I couldn't find somehting like this and I wound up taking apart my entire strat becuas ei didn't know it even had a back plate to take off. It has never sounded the same. Anyways, great thread.

blacklabelsdmf
08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
whats so ****ing hard about changing strings?

Etni3s
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
idk. what's so ****ing hard about helping people who need help?

fBb
08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I just got a Ernie Ball gauge 13 for my acoustic to replace my E. I've managed to wind it and up but now I'm paranoid to wind it too tight. Basically, I've tuned the string about 3 winds but it hasn't tuned to a E yet.

How can I ensure I don't snap the string whilst tuning it? It already feels quite tight and I'm not sure if I should tighten it anymore.

jj1565
08-19-2006, 02:28 PM
its not the amount of winds around the tuner. instead its how much slack uve left.
in other words if uve left too much slack, 3 turns might not be enough to get the string in tune. if u didnt leave enough slack, then 3 turns might not even be possible.

u already wound the string. so my suggestion is to use an electric tuner. to tune it up slowly and to check often.
if u dont have an electric tuner then go here, and listen to the low E for reference.

any more questions repost.

subzero3009
08-20-2006, 12:37 PM
I need some help with my friends new guitar. I have always played an ovation celebrity viper, my warlock, stratocaster.s stuff liek that. But what are the steps in tuning a peg guitar. one with the pegs in the bridge.

Rakojin
09-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I need some help. I was replacing strings, it all went well until the high E string, when I was tuning it, part of it snapped off, then I tried to push it out. I'm on an strat guitar also. Anyway, currently, it's jammed in there, I can't pull it out. :S

jj1565
09-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Rakojin, remove the back plastic plate. look with a small flashlight. see if u can fish out the string end.

if not the poke it thru from the other end with something resembelling a chop stick.

be carefull not to get anything else stuck in there. and do not restring until u get that other bit out.

jj1565
09-02-2006, 08:56 PM
subzero. try this site...

it's important to press on the pin while u tune up the string. u dont want the peg to pop out as ur tightening up.

Rakojin
09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
jj, thanks it worked. :P I decided I should just push it out with a toothpick, and it worked somehow.

jj1565
09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
good work. ;)

grayfox1001
09-04-2006, 07:18 PM
okay, heres a tip, when people are putting on their high e string, it breaks alot while they tune it, a way to help it out (and you can do this to all strings) is to hold it down at the 5th fret and stretch the longest part of the string, repeat this at the 3rd fret and open, it releives much tension on the string, when you get it in tune, repeat this a couple times (3-5) untill it stays in tune, it breaks in your strings much faster.

heres a question, why in the bloody hell can i never fit the E string in the tuning peg hole and put it back in, its just way to big to go in there twice.

BingYao
09-05-2006, 05:26 AM
what if my strings are stuck in the slot.....

jj1565
09-05-2006, 08:50 PM
heres a question, why in the bloody hell can i never fit the E string in the tuning peg hole and put it back in, its just way to big to go in there twice.

stretching strings, breaks them in faster but i dont know how it would prevent string breakage.

if u have a thicker gauge string or a smaller tuning hole, then it wont fit. there are plenty of ways to wind a string without double looping.

jj1565
09-05-2006, 08:51 PM
what if my strings are stuck in the slot.....

what slot is it stuck in?

stuck at th tuner (headstock) then buy a winder/wire cutter for about $3.

stuck in the bridge, then poke thru with a toothpick.

Spoony_Bard
09-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey guys I just put new strings on, and everything went fine I guess, but I have a concern. At the tuning knobs, the string just goes around to the top, and out the hole, making a sort of U-turn shape. If I turn the string more it'll tune up too high. Most of them don't go around the knob more than 180 degrees. I'm just wondering if it'll stay on that way or if it'll fall out soon.

BingYao
09-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Spoony I think you didnt left some extra strings before you wind up the tuner..

I also wonder will it stay in tune...

jj1565
09-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey guys I just put new strings on, and everything went fine I guess, but I have a concern. At the tuning knobs, the string just goes around to the top, and out the hole, making a sort of U-turn shape. If I turn the string more it'll tune up too high. Most of them don't go around the knob more than 180 degrees. I'm just wondering if it'll stay on that way or if it'll fall out soon.

you didnt leave enough slack. it wont hold a tune. hopefully u didnt cut off the end yet. then u can follow this tutorial..

Spoony_Bard
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Haha, you're right. I pulled them really tight. I cut them off, too, but there's about an inch and a half extra left. Is that enough or should I go get new ones?

fsb_ben
09-06-2006, 06:58 PM
There should also be a tutorial on what to do when changing from extra light to heavy gauges. (ie. truss rod adjustment incl)

jj1565
09-07-2006, 08:14 AM
Haha, you're right. I pulled them really tight. I cut them off, too, but there's about an inch and a half extra left. Is that enough or should I go get new ones?

well its about an inch for a loop around, u might be able to get another wind around.
otherwise its about a buck for a loose string at local stores.

jj1565
09-07-2006, 08:15 AM
There should also be a tutorial on what to do when changing from extra light to heavy gauges. (ie. truss rod adjustment incl)

there are serveral tutorials around UG, some stickied in the Electric guitar section, some are articles you can find off the home page.

or u can just ask questions here.

Spoony_Bard
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
I got another wrap or two out of most of them. It's stayed in tune for the past 3 days so I should be good. Thanks all.

I'm_a_pirate74
09-10-2006, 03:55 AM
OK, I'm trying to re-string my strat for the first time here. I'm trying to put the low E on, but it seems to rest on my pickups and so it buzzes like a bitch on them when I play. Do I need to adjust the bridge? What do I do here??? :(

El Toro
09-10-2006, 08:22 AM
My guitar has Fender Silver Bullets on it (their the ones it came with) and today my D string broke. Then I realised I don't actually have any more D strings :(. So I was wondering if I wereto put D'alldario (sp?) on them should I change all the trings so they are the same or just the D string?

jj1565
09-10-2006, 09:45 AM
My guitar has Fender Silver Bullets on it (their the ones it came with) and today my D string broke. Then I realised I don't actually have any more D strings :(. So I was wondering if I wereto put D'alldario (sp?) on them should I change all the trings so they are the same or just the D string?

as long as both sets are the same gauge ur fine. ur's is probably 9's or 10's.
guitar stores sell loose strings for about a buck.

jj1565
09-10-2006, 09:49 AM
OK, I'm trying to re-string my strat for the first time here. I'm trying to put the low E on, but it seems to rest on my pickups and so it buzzes like a bitch on them when I play. Do I need to adjust the bridge? What do I do here??? :(

it shouldnt be resting on the pickup. not if the other string wasnt.

look at the bridge is it lifted up into the air?
look at the tuner, did u wrap the string around bout 3 times and is it tight, can it be tuned?

ok if the bridge is level, and the string is wound tight, then raise the saddle by turning these two screws with a tiny allen wrench. u lower them to raise the saddle.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/loggyz/bridgepic1.jpg

The Mizfit
09-23-2006, 03:59 PM
I just re strigned and i have a few questions. is it supposed to have a tinny sound after i tune it? also i dont have the string wrapped around the tuner peg a lot its like one or 2 times around and i just cut the string close to the peg, is that bad?

jj1565
09-23-2006, 04:02 PM
2 winds are anly bad if u notice ur guitar keeps falling out of tune.

and if there is a tinny sound that could be that the action is set a little low and the strings are rubbing the frets.

did u break in the strings yet? and what type of guitar is it?

if its a strat, is the bridge level, or lifted?

The Mizfit
09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
its some cheapy guitar nothing big but it strings and looks like a strat but it isnt an official thing. and i just re strung them like 5 minutes ago

jj1565
09-23-2006, 04:20 PM
ok will give the strings a little time to stretch.

pull up on each one, at the middle of the neck a few times.
then retune them all.

when ur satisfied they are all in tune, and that ur bridge is level, then check for fret buzz thats projecting thru the amp.

if ur getting any, u can use a tiny allen wrench to raise the saddle a little on that string.
picture 3 posts up.

if its a different type of noise, then give the strings an extra day to settle and repost.

The Mizfit
09-23-2006, 04:43 PM
alright thanks. and i bent every string up many times and they reamined in tune

RyanEsta
09-27-2006, 02:32 AM
I just re strigned and i have a few questions. is it supposed to have a tinny sound after i tune it? also i dont have the string wrapped around the tuner peg a lot its like one or 2 times around and i just cut the string close to the peg, is that bad?

I'm having the exact SAME problem! The low-E, A, and D strings are buzzing when played (even acoustically) and they sound very tinny, the sound reminds me of a slap bass or something. Anyways, I thought maybe it was because I got a bigger size in strings (i had been using the standard Fender Bullets and got some D'adarrio 11's) so i picked up some regular bullets and I still get the same sound. I use a Fender Standard Fat Strat by the way. So I guess I'll just play it for a few days and see if the strings settle in and it goes away.

Etni3s
09-27-2006, 03:45 AM
here's how i change my strings:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/tuners.html
scroll down to "PRS Vintage Tuners".
if you do it like that you can cut the string of at the base without having to worry if it's gonna slite or anything.

also, make to make sure you get the correct length of the string so you get 3 turns around the tuner peg, read this page and do like they do in step 6.

as for the buzzing, it's hard to say what it is, but it's probably your string height that's messing with you.

jj1565
09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm having the exact SAME problem! The low-E, A, and D strings are buzzing when played (even acoustically) and they sound very tinny, the sound reminds me of a slap bass or something. .

when they buzz u need to raise the strings.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/bridgepic1.jpg

phil's pic.

also u need to make sure the bridge is level. after u swap the strings on a strat the trem tends to shift a bit.

if its lifted ull want to tighten the screws in the back trem cavity.

ilovemusic
09-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, I didn't see anything when i was browsing through the pages, but i have a problem every time I am done restringing my acoustic. The tension of the strings near the top of the guitar is very high. It's difficult for me to play the F barre chord because i can't push the strings down all the way. I switched to light strings and it doesn't seem to help. Should i try extra lights? Is there anyway to fix this? Can anyone tell me if I am doing anything wrong? Thanks!

jj1565
09-28-2006, 05:50 PM
roll ur fretting finger on its side when u barre at the top. over time ull be able to ring it out better.

in the mean time, you can try coated strings, like elixers or DR coated. they are easier to fret.

or u can go to an even lighter guage. that will relax the neck more and make the action seem lower.

of course u can also measure ur neck angle, work on getting the lowest action possible.
ill walk u thru it if u want, just know that u might pick up a little fret buzz, not easy to always get rid of on an acoustic.

last resort, on acoustics is a nut or saddle shaving. again usually reserved for a high action guitar.
again, something i can go over with u, if u want.

basically, depends on the overall condition, and type of actoustic. and where u want it to be.

CDNRoycer
09-28-2006, 11:57 PM
i just restrung my epi sg for the first time, but messed up on the low e string doing it backwards, so when i turn the knob to tighten it it losens and vise versa, should a replace the string or is it fine for the month until i restring the whole thing?

jj1565
09-29-2006, 07:24 AM
u should be able to loosen it, stringing it the correct way, if ur careful.

kai29
10-01-2006, 05:50 PM
i know how to string my guitar but it might help if you had a video link on the first page that actually showed how because a lot of people may not understand the wording

I_Like_Guitar
10-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Hey everyone; i'd really apreciate it if someone answered this question. I bought a ESP KH 202 guitar a few days ago; and its got a Floyd Rose bridge. I've only ever played/strung normal guitars; and am quite discouraged at re stringing my new guitar when a string breaks.

None of my mates have a Floyd rose bridge; so I read some advise and have a bit of an idea of what to do; but I read that there were several disadvantages of having a Floyd rose bridge (Although the advantages even it out). One of these was that using a lower gague string requires you to fiddle with the spring's tension; otherwise things go ****-up.

I only have one other guitar; and use D'Addario .010 to .046 on them; and have a heap of spare sets of them. I'm pretty sure that these are one set lower than the standard gauge?

My question is; how do I know what gauge strings are fitted onto the KH 202 guitar now? I obviously havn't replaced any of them yet; but don't know if they are the standard gauge (I imagine they are?) or one down; the same as what I have been using for my other guitar.
Do guitars come with a factory standard string gauge set or do they vary from the make of the guitar?

Sorry if its confusing or blatantly obvious; its just although I bought the cheap model of the KH series guitar; it still cost over a thousand bucks where I live; so I don't want to stuff it up XD

One last thing; I'm going to be performing at a gig in the next few weeks; and kind of need one guitar in standard E tuning; and the other in D standard. Since I only have 2 guitars; I'm going to leave the KH-202 in E and have my other guitar in D standard.

But apparently it takes ages to re-string one of the strings if they break on a Floyd rose bridge.

So what should I do? Unless I just tune my other guitar with the normal bridge back to E? Would that be quicker than re-stringing a string on a Floyd rose bridge?

Anyways sorry for the long post; Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Kieran

jj1565
10-02-2006, 07:51 PM
ok first off alot of guitars come with 10s. some with floyds might come with 11's, so to find the type use came with u need to look it up on ur manufacturers web site.

second, u can adjust the back springs. so that even if the bridge does lift, u can tighten the screws to level it again.

third. PM "Madpickin03" ask him nicely and he'll give u his floyd rose set up tutorial, and im sure will answer all ur questions. really nice guy.

tell him jenny sent u. ;)

lastly, the floyd isnt really good for tuning changes. thats the one ull want set up standard.

also ask about wedging something in the trem cavity to stabilize the bridge while u restring. im pretty sure he's got a picture explaining, the best way to do that.

repost if uve got any other questions.

Jenny

mr.White
10-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Sorry. any video tutorial links? driving me nuts because i cant do it properly!

mr.White
10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Failed miserably and close to smaking my head on the wall. I'm so annoyed that i dont give a ****, i'm going to the shop and ill get it done there. Maybe they'll show me if theyre nice :D

jj1565
10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
i guess, if you're that frustrated then it's best to let the guy show u how.
just buy a set of strings from him and ask him to do it there.

but if u really want to try then, u can start by posting the type of guitar u have, and what u've done so far, attempt wise.

ninewhilenine
10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I took off my strings and the bridge and thing-where-you-put-the-strings-through fell off! :confused:

jj1565
10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
ok u have a Tune O Matic bridge?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/tune-o-maticaction.jpg

ok put the bridge and the tail piece back in the guitar and rethread the strings one at a time.

and im going to save ur post and show it to guys, when they say there's no problem taking all ur strings off at once, when ur new and arent sure how to set up a guitar. because this happnes all the time.

if there is buzzing or if u have questions, then repost.

AvrilFanUK
10-09-2006, 04:02 AM
Guys, help me...

My problem is getting 3 wraps around the post. I can only ever get 1 wrap by the time it's in tune. I've wasted a whole pack of strings trying to learn how to do this.

I've tried giving it slack but then obviously the string won't sit in place on the fret board so when I tune it up the string flaps and twists around all over the place so it won't even wrap.

Are you supposed to thread it through up to where you made the 90 deg. bend or are you supposed to pull the string all the way through? And is the bend supposed to be to the left or right?

Please tell me how to get those 3 wraps, this is really frustrating...

Cheers!

jj1565
10-09-2006, 08:27 AM
u pull up on the string. like in the link, in my last post.

and when the string is about 2-3 inches in the air, up from the board at the 5th fret. u kink the string at the post.

now u can relax. u now have a kink in the string, about 2 1/2 inches past the tuner.

and u know what? all u really have to do is lay the string out flat, and estimate about 2.5 inches past the tuner and kink the wire there.

those extra couple of inches will be the 2-3 wraps u need.

ok now put the string thru the hole in the tuner.
thread only to the kink in the string, hold the string down at the fretboard so it doesnt flap.
(if u have a capo feel free to use it, to hold the string still)

and start to wind until all the slack is taken up.

AvrilFanUK
10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks Jenny! Now I understand! When I get my new strings through the mail I'll do it using your advice. Wish me luck...

jj1565
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
LAF, u dont need luck, uve got skill.

any problems just repost.

and FYI i saw avril at a free acoustic concert in nyc.
she has a really nice voice, and shes not a bad guitar player either. :cheers:

sumguy67
10-15-2006, 01:32 PM
i got a problem with my acoustic. im changing the strings on it but the low e string is jammed i can't get it to go down through the string peg. its jammed pretty badly. i couldnt even get pliers to push it down. so what do i do?

jj1565
10-15-2006, 02:47 PM
are u saying that the string and the peg and stuck and wedged into the hole?

usually u can loosen it up if u press down and not pull up on the string.

if the peg is stuck, perhaps a drop of dish soap on plastic parts.

m1dnight
10-22-2006, 07:13 AM
anyone tell me a simple way of restringing a twelve string

jj1565
10-22-2006, 08:25 AM
12 string acoustic...

this part is from "about.com" i changed a couple of things on it tho...

Loosen and remove the low E (sixth) string and it's accompanying higher octave string.

Restring both strings, taking care to keep the higher octave string in the top (closest to you) position.

Bring each string approximately 2-3 inches past it's appropriate tuning peg.

Make a 90 degree angle bend in the string at this point.

Feed the string through the tuning peg, up to the bent point.

tune the 6 strings the same way u would tune a 6 string guitar. then go back to the high E and B partners, anf then tune the Low E and then A, then middle strings.
you'll need to reapeat several times, until all the strings stay in tune.

from about.com
Repeat steps one through seven for each of the remaining five string groups.
Using a tuner, fine tune the pitch of each string. Standard tuning for the 12-string guitar is as follows: E(upper octave),E | A(u.o.),A | D(u.o.),D | G(u.o.),G | B(unison),B | E(unison),E

how to string an acoustic

m1dnight
10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
thanks man

jj1565
10-24-2006, 10:20 AM

mark-2007
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi, I started restringing about a month ago and have gone through 4 sets now! My problem before was that I was trying to put them through the holes in the pegs and then wrap them around and the windings would just fall loose. Instead I looked on youtube and found a video of some guy called Steve on Ovrdrvn (I think) and what I did then was took the string up, wound it around (once for the 3 thick strings and twice fore the other thin ones) and then I thread it through and tuned it, I've noticed it falling out of tune a bit quickly though. Any clue as to whats happened?

Also, since restringing from 11s to 9s I can't bend some notes on the higher frets of the high E stringl. Also at the 17th fret the note hardly sounds at all, I think this is from the string touching the fret bars higher up and this dampens the note. Is there something wrong with the action?

jj1565
10-24-2006, 08:09 PM
what type of guitar do u have?

mark-2007
10-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Sorry, I shoulda mentioned that, I have a Strat copy.