Rickenbacker bass copy

PDA

View Full Version : Rickenbacker bass copy

coolo
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
is there any bass guitar manufacturer that makes Rickenbacker style basses i really like the style of them but dont have them money to pay for an genuine Rickenbacker

thanks

Zar938
01-05-2008, 09:01 PM
going to be very difficult to find. Maybe even impossible, there was a guy on here who has one, but he got it in the early 90's, so there is still a chance

it most probably will be used, and take a while to find if you do manage to find one

Jonnomainman
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I think there's a company called Rockisbetter who make them.

Vintage Rick copies are very sought after but very hard to find because Rickenbacker were so scrupulous in persuing law suits against Japanese manufacturers copying their designs. Often these copies are of very high quality.

EDIT - It's Rockinbetter not Rockisbetter.

Sekhmet
01-05-2008, 09:06 PM
It's creepingjesus73 that has a Columbus ricky4003 copy, from the 70's.
It's playing the high part on his 'resurrected in distortion' mp3 if you want to hear what it sounds like...

*hangs head at shameless plug for my own band's bassist.

edited to add: Rockinbetter is by Tokia - not one of their better efforts tho' IMO.

anarkee
01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Jon is right; Rickenbacker goes after anyone who copies their basses and guitars with a vengeance. Their legal team is allegedly bigger than their design group.

There were some rather decent models put out in the 70s and into the early 80s. I've seen Tokais and Shafesbury's that were really nice quality. Keep checking Ebay and Craigslist. I recently saw one come up on the NYC Craigs list for just under $900.00.

coolo
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks for your help so far i think im getting there

Jonnomainman
01-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Tam - Rickenbacker havent designed a new guitar or bass for years! :P

Get in chat.

Damn, i think im gonna put "tam get in chat" in my future posts hoping you'll read.

thefitz
01-05-2008, 11:07 PM
edited to add: Rockinbetter is by Tokia - not one of their better efforts tho' IMO.
Is it Tokia, or Tokai?

Anyway, copies don't sound like real Rics. If you want that sound, you're going to have to pay for it. Personally, I am very happy with the integrity of the company - a lot of people are spoiled into wanting something but not willing to earn it.

Rathchild
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I say, save your money. i have a '74 vintage rick 4001 mapleglo that i picked up on ebay for great price. fakes look alike, but as thefitz says, the don't live up to the rick sound. check out ebay. great prices and lots of unavailable colors

thefitz
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
I say, save your money. i have a '74 vintage rick 4001 mapleglo that i picked up on ebay for great price. fakes look alike, but as thefitz says, the don't live up to the rick sound. check out ebay. great prices and lots of unavailable colors
Pics or your bass is a banana.

IndianRockStar
01-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I'll say this. A rick copy is pretty much as rare as a real rick.

watchingmefall
01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
I thought Rick had a team that searched ebay and closed the Rickenbacker auctions.

coolo
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
thats the thing im not relly seroius about getting a bass im in a band that needs a bassist and i wanted a cheapish bass but wanted it to look good not really for the sound if i got serous i would probably gut the whole thing and put new **** in it

jazz_rock_feel
01-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I thought Rick had a team that searched ebay and closed the Rickenbacker auctions.

I thought they just closed the auctions of copies, maybe.

faultyy
01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
I saw an Ibanez one on there a couple of days ago i think. Give me a minute will post the link if it's still there.

Nope think it's gone, can't seem to find it anyway

faultyy
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Found it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ibanez-Model-2389bmr-Bass-Guitar-Rare-MIJ-Retro_W0QQitemZ140194948589QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thefitz
01-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I thought they just closed the auctions of copies, maybe.
Rics sell on eBay all the time. The copies are the no-nos.

And that eBay copy - wow, a mudbucker at the neck. That's about the complete opposite of the Ric sound.

Sekhmet
01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Is it Tokia, or Tokai?

Anyway, copies don't sound like real Rics. If you want that sound, you're going to have to pay for it. Personally, I am very happy with the integrity of the company - a lot of people are spoiled into wanting something but not willing to earn it.

Of course it's Tokai , I can't spell for toffee. :)

I agree with the rest of your post too - strange I know. :D
If someone wants a rick, they should buy a rick.
If they want to buy a 'rick' style bass, not because it's a rick but because it has the sound they want then fair enough too.
Just don't buy a 'rick' copy thinking it's the next best thing - it's not.

Casketcreep
04-27-2009, 09:59 AM

There was a Rick copy on ebay that ended on saturday, it was made by KAY.
I was outbid in the last 13 seconds, I was distraught.
It went for just over 140.

And there are literally no more on ebay at the moment.
(I've been searching all week)

Casketcreep
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM
O jesus, I didn't notice I just necroposted.
I got this thread through a google search and replied.

My bad.

Spaz91
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
they have a tokai rockinbetter in Bass Centre, google it.