Jazz Song?

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Song?

jsbassboy
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
So I'm playing a pretty important gig on wednesday with my band, a funk-blues outfit with bass, guitar, keyboard, and drums. We're playing at a dinner thing for a local organization, and sadly, its unpaying. But if it goes well and we impress some people there we can get several hours of free studio time as well as several paying gigs. So we're cool with playing one unpaid one :D

So anyways, someone suggested that during the actual meal we play some more mellow style stuff, like some 12 bar and such. I figured maybe a jazz song would be good? Does anyone know a jazz song that is relatively easy to learn (since we only have a few days) and still a quality song?

Oh and if this is the wrong forum sorry :(

guitar_hero543
01-06-2008, 01:40 AM
i got it! wanna impress some people? learn goerge benson's version of 'come together' by the beatles, download it and listen to it, and then learn to play it, its not that hard but what you do is once you understand it, just keep it going and dont stop playing and while the bass is doing the same thing (and mixing in slide's and popping an extra note every now and then) and with the guitar you start with the basic chords that he's got and stuff and then you do the fancy stuff in the song, and then when you've played everything thats in the song you make up a bunch more solo's and just rock out with the bass and the drums grooving and the guitarist ripping groovy quick tempo'd solo's, if you want you can put the singing in cause the actual george benson version doesnt have singing...but ya if you dont want your singer to be excluded then put the beatles' lyrics back in if you want and fit em in there somehow

DarTHie
01-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Play some jazz standards with improvisations...

Zen5887
01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Autumn leaves with a big improv section in it.

Tomaz24
01-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Moondance.

Sir Edwin CBE
01-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Autumn Leaves and improvise. Think slowly and use space.

sinan90
01-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Blue Bossa is another fairly simple tune.

trey-col89
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't think Autumn Leaves really falls under the "easy that we could learn in a couple of days" category

Punk Poser
01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Modal jazz tune like "So What" by Miles Davis. Just learn the head, and you can solo with a modal scale for like 48 bars and not have to worry about chord tones and following the progression which is not something you can learn with your band in a few days.

hiphopopotamus
01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think Autumn Leaves really falls under the "easy that we could learn in a couple of days" category
Why not? It was just about the first chart I learned when I started learning jazz guitar, and its really not difficult.

I second the Blue Bossa suggested up there as another fairly easy standard.

Also, don't forget Satin Doll for mellow jazz songs lol. Even though I kinda hate that song.

Modal jazz tune like "So What" by Miles Davis. Just learn the head, and you can solo with a modal scale for like 48 bars and not have to worry about chord tones and following the progression which is not something you can learn with your band in a few days.
Yea, that song is great since theres so much space between chord changes.

private
01-07-2008, 06:34 PM
uhh do something easy like c jam blues or bags groove