3 classic rock covers needed for begginner band

PDA

View Full Version : 3 classic rock covers needed for begginner band

peytondt
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
ok i got my band this gig at a resturant/bar and the bands that usually play there are bluegrass. So i asked if we could try some classic rock. manager said ok so n 3 weekswe get to play 3 covers of easy classic rock songs becuz my band still has some begginners. so if anyone has any cover they know we could play for a crowd aged 30-60 we would be very thankful. my band has 2 guitars,1 drum,1 singer, and the rythem guitar helps with vocals sum and a bass. Thanks in advance.

mrwaffles
01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Iron Man?

whosamerica
01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
um anything stones. anything Beatles. aviod bands like zep and acdc as their vocals are incredibly hard to emulate.

qotsa1998
01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
U dont have a bass player?? ummmm....ok. How about Ballroom Blitz by Sweet? Or Live Wire by Motley Crue? U should be able to manage that one. Rock N Roll by Led Zeppelin is pretty easy as well. Or u could try Over the Hills by Zepp.

nicodimus
01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
boys are back in town
my generation
you really got me going

Ben Wright
01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Cocaine
You really got me going
Back In Black

peytondt
01-06-2008, 03:34 PM
my bad we do have a bass i just frget him alot (doesn't always show up)

mrwaffles
01-06-2008, 03:35 PM
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones (not so much "classic rock" but its easy)

peytondt
01-06-2008, 03:46 PM
wouldn't cocaine be a lil much for a resturant/bar

felixdcat
01-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Nah

Ben Wright
01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
No I've seen bands play it in a bar.

peytondt
01-06-2008, 03:58 PM
ok we'll try it

ECistheBest
01-06-2008, 03:59 PM
cocaine is an anti drug song. so its okay.

v8ko
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
For that enviroment...."Cant you see" by the Marshall tucker band. Yes you can rock it to different degrees, it easy to sing and the soloing is a kinda laid back fun.

Sedated is a good choice imo.

Jimbleton
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
immigrant song by led zep

Rage`
01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple is a given.

peytondt
01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
thx anymore?

FuriousRyder
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Rocking in the Free World
Schools Out
Mississippi Queen

Junior#1
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Sunshine of your love by cream

Zen5887
01-06-2008, 08:28 PM
boys are back in town
my generation
you really got me going

My generation might be a bit hard without a dedicated bassist..

Cant go wrong with Sabbath.. Everyone likes sabbath.. =P

ECistheBest
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Sunshine of your love by cream
that song has some seriously hard vocal parts that most people cannot hit the notes in.

R.I.P.Jimi
01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Layla? Sweet riff, and alot of the other above are good. Hendrix? Solos are a bit tought though.

Paleo Pete
01-08-2008, 06:46 AM
OK, you guys are thinking what would YOU like, not what would a 50 year old balding rocker like...especially over dinner.

Keep it light. Metal won't work, I know I don't want some loud band playing Ozzy while I finish my soup..You want more easy going stuf. Eagles, America, CCR, Dan Fogleberg, James Taylor...nothing that tends to make people stomp their feet, nothing thaqt's going to get really loud, and you don't want to be kicked out of your gig either by running customers off.... They're trying to eat, and I can't see grandpa headbanging while the waitress brings the main course...

I didn't say forget about anything upbeat, all slow songs or tearjerkers, just not loud and rowdy.

Already Gone
Green River
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Break Down (Tom Petty)

There's tons of others, but for this environment, restaurant/bar, keep it middle of the road. Some rock songs may work great, but you want it fairly easygoing. I can't see Smoke on the Water or Iron Man, I'd get up and leave and I like Deep Purple. But not during dinner. I'm not much of a Sabbath fan, iron Man is OK, a few other songs here and there too, just not my thing. I'll listen to Deep Purple all night though...just not while I try to eat dinner...

A couple of the other songs already mentioned might work fairly well, You Really Got Me should do well but go look up the ORIGINAL...Eddie didn't write it...the Kinks did. And as much as I like Van Halen, I'd really rather hear the Kinks do that one...and yes I do like the Van Halen version too. I just like the original better. Especially over dinner...

You're playing to an older crowd, put yourself in their shoes and think what would they want to hear, not what would I want to hear...Mainly avoid getting too loud and heavy. Remember the restaurant part, if it gets you stomping your feet, it's probably not something you want to try on people who are having dinner.

I really hate to say this, but ask your parents what they would like to hear in that situatioin, if they're into rock of course...or some neighbors...but think older crowd...

peytondt
01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
paleo pete u have a very good point

trey-col89
01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Why did you start getting gigs before you have a bass player?

peytondt
01-08-2008, 05:19 PM
we do have a bassist lol i just forgot to add him

ECistheBest
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Layla? Sweet riff, and alot of the other above are good. Hendrix? Solos are a bit tought though.
that song is such a hard song to put together with a band. very difficult to get it all together.

pete has a good point. about deep purple and sabbath. i say some kinks and some famous beatles covers would be good. beatles songs are easier to sing to.

peytondt
01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
would any rolling stones work?

gald
01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Fortunate Son - CCR
Down on the Corner - CCR

Bloody Sunday - U2

Lefty99
01-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Springsteen's stuff. Works like a charm!

Paleo Pete
01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
would any rolling stones work?

Yep, Stones would work great, Beatles too, CCR, Doors maybe (Love Her Madly would probably go over really well,), Kinks, CSNY, Byrds, most of the 60's and 70's bands, just not too loud and rowdy. You want good tunes, but keep thinking dinner club, older crowd, you're not out to get them on the dance floor or get grandpa dancing on the tables...You're not after really quiet elevator music, but it's not a headbanger's ball either.

Yeah Layla is great but it's really tough to put together, as mentioned above, tons of chords, dynamics and changeups. At least 2 guitars required to get it even close. Bell Bottom Blues might be worth considering though...or Wonderful Tonight.

Strange talking about people my own age like old fogies...lol Then again I guess we are.. :D

EDIT:

Forgot about a point I guess I should have already made. Don't get the idea a lot of these folks don't like heavier stuff like Deep Purple or Black Sabbath. I'm in that age range, just turned 52 not long ago, saw the Beatles on their first Ed Sullivan show. I've been a Deep Purple fan since the song "Hush" was first released many moons ago, I just watched a Led Zeppelin DVD a couple nights ago, I'm a long time AC/DC fan, Ted Nugent, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top and so on. I play that kind of stuff a lot as well as listen to it. You'll be playing for the people that were buying their records back when they were still records, not CDs. So they'll probably like a lot of that kind of stuff, just not over dinner...so you'll want to keep it a bit on the lighter side.

Dishburn
01-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Peyton,

I fall in that demograph. Here is what I would like to hear:

Ramblin Man- Allman Brothers
Take the Money and Run- Steve Miller Band
and finish with
Sweet Home Alabama- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Dish

ECistheBest
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Yep, Stones would work great, Beatles too, CCR, Doors maybe (Love Her Madly would probably go over really well,), Kinks, CSNY, Byrds, most of the 60's and 70's bands, just not too loud and rowdy. You want good tunes, but keep thinking dinner club, older crowd, you're not out to get them on the dance floor or get grandpa dancing on the tables...You're not after really quiet elevator music, but it's not a headbanger's ball either.

Yeah Layla is great but it's really tough to put together, as mentioned above, tons of chords, dynamics and changeups. At least 2 guitars required to get it even close. Bell Bottom Blues might be worth considering though...or Wonderful Tonight.

Strange talking about people my own age like old fogies...lol Then again I guess we are.. :D

EDIT:

Forgot about a point I guess I should have already made. Don't get the idea a lot of these folks don't like heavier stuff like Deep Purple or Black Sabbath. I'm in that age range, just turned 52 not long ago, saw the Beatles on their first Ed Sullivan show. I've been a Deep Purple fan since the song "Hush" was first released many moons ago, I just watched a Led Zeppelin DVD a couple nights ago, I'm a long time AC/DC fan, Ted Nugent, Sammy Hagar, ZZ Top and so on. I play that kind of stuff a lot as well as listen to it. You'll be playing for the people that were buying their records back when they were still records, not CDs. So they'll probably like a lot of that kind of stuff, just not over dinner...so you'll want to keep it a bit on the lighter side.
bell bottom blues' key is kinda high for most people... at least my friends. wonderful tonight is a little better. but knockin' on heaven's door is probably easier. but doesn't fit the scene.

i'd say the beatles. lots of early beatles. Please Please Me, From Me To You, or maybe some With a little Help from my Friends?

R.I.P.Jimi
01-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Like a rolling stone?
yeah, correct about layla, tis hard to put together.
Money?
I'm just trying to think of songs that are lighter but still "good".
maybe pinball wizard, or some other Who songs...magic bus?

scguitarking927
01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
ZZ top

HunterRiggs10
01-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Iron Man
TNT
I wanna be sedated
Back in Black
Folsom Prison Blues
Simple Man - parts

Mr.Cuddles
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
eagles-withcy woman?

mabeye something by the cars theyre always good

Paleo Pete
01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Hmm...some good suggestions here. A couple of comments here from both the old fogie at dinner and the musical viewpoints.

Ramblin Man - Great song, I love playing it, probably would work really well, provided it's not really loud I think I'd like it. But..it just doesn't sound right if you don't peg the original leads, (been there, done that) and they ain't easy...vocals pretty high too. Definitely worth a try if you have the musicians and vocals to handle it.

Take the Money and Run - I'd say take a good close listen at this one. Might be a keeper. I always like playing it too, fun one to play. Maybe "Big ol' Jet Airliner"?

Sweet Home Alabama - I'm sick of hearing it, much less playing it, I avoid it unless it's late at night and at least a half dozen people are yelling for it.

but knockin' on heaven's door is probably easier. but doesn't fit the scene.

I'd have to disagree, I think it would work quite well, but stick to the original Dylan version, definitely leave out the "hay hay" part GnR put in and a light, simple and tasteful lead if any at all. I leave out the lead entirely and play it straight acoustic. works r4eally well at clubs, probably this situation too.

Any of the Beatles songs mentioned should be good, especially "With a Little Help..." I'll throw out

Dear Prudence
Strawberry Fields Forever - OK just kidding... :D
Paperback Writer - lots of vocals, but may be doable

for consideration. Listen to them, should be plenty other good ones to pick from too.

Eagles - If you have 2 or 3 singers who can handle some good harmonies, some great possibilities.

Witchy Woman
Lying Eyes
Already Gone
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Tequila Sunrise
One Of These Nights
Desperado

Guess Who - No Sugar Tonight, These Eyes

Like a Rolling Stone - should work fine but that's a boatload of lyrics to memorize...same for a lot of great Dylan songs like Subterranean Homesick Blues or Tangled Up In Blue (one of my favorite Dylan songs)

Money - Which one? Beatles' song "Money" yeah, great. Pink Floyd's "Money" again great, but not easy to play...

Just a few thoughts from an old fart who might be sitting at the corner table...

Symmetry4321
01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Dancing in the moonlight
Sgt Pepper
House of the rising sun
Knocking on heavens door
Freebird (A relaxed acoustic version)
Hotel California
Wonderful Tonight

Tazeyo
01-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Rocking in the Free World
Sunshine of your Love
Cocaine

Souls United
01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Start Me Up- The Rolling Stones
Hotel California- The Eagles
Sweet Home Alabama- Lynyrd Skynyrd

lbj273
01-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Last Dance With Mary Jane - Tom Petty
Every Rose has Its Thorn- Poison

niqolaise
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
The Beatles - Twist & Shout
REM - Everybody hurts
Guns N' Roses - Knocking on Heaven's door <--- Maybe you can get troubles with some high notes.

eckmann88
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
All these people saying Sabbath, Ac/DC or whatever don't realize the crowd that'll be in there. Try some Beatles, Stones, Who, and Kinks.

dysonsphere
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Do NOT do Iron Man. EVER. That is the most boring song Sabbath ever put out.

Anyway, Mississippi Queen by Mountain would be a good one with some southern influence. Or maybe try Simple Man by Skynyrd.