Could this work?

PDA

View Full Version : Could this work?

audio technica
01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
For the sake of the matter, let's saying there is a completely functional band, no problems with members or anything, and all members in the band are very good at their instruments. Would a record label ever want to sign a band that is not stuck to any genre of music? At the moment we are writing songs that range from pop punk to a song that is reminiscent of tool, another of RATM, to blue oyster cult, basically we incorporate many styles, but would a band like this ever have a chance at making it big?

ahhmyeye
01-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Genre isn't super important. What's important is that you have a unique sound and aren't just copying what's already been done across multiple music styles.

JordanRRR
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Well usually a bands fan base is made up of people who enjoy that type of genre. It is hard to imagine a band building a fan base when they play all different types of genres. Even when you go to concerts with multiple bands, it is usually all the same genre just about. But, that is just my personal opinion.

audio technica
01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
We don't just steal from bands of those stylings, those are just the bands that come closest to describing that type of song.

Jimbleton
01-06-2008, 05:34 PM
i agree my band although we agreed on our first song we played we cant agree on a second and if we as a band dont like te song choices there isno way that is commercially viable with so many genres playin a big part inthe music

SSDDPunkRocker
01-06-2008, 11:57 PM
As long as the vocals sound unique and something that few people may emulate (ex. Chad/Nickelback, Tom/Angels & Airwaves, etc.), then you're good. You don't wanna be listening to a CD thinking it's a compilation because of the vast array of style. But at the same time, you don't want your songs to sound all the same, because then there's nothing exciting. That's the challenge of songwriting and music in general, making something unique.

epiplayer13
01-07-2008, 02:11 AM
what does it matter what a record label would want. play a few shows build a fan base make your own cds and sell tehm your self .become your own label. the internet and file share has destroyed the day of the big record deal and indie is the rule of the day. I personally dont havea problem with being remembered as a one hit wonder. brendan fraisier said it best in the movie airheads. "I'm just f*cked up and avarage enough to write 1 song that will live forever." and i believe that of everyone