Getting Gigs

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gigs

electricnightma
01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Seems to be a problem for our band, we're U16 and only have one recording which is a cover, any ideas and tips for getting gigs?

therealtater
01-06-2008, 06:18 PM
go to local restrants and pool halls and ask them if you can play there?

rand0mher0742
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
it really helps if you know ppl..

tlohrmann13
01-06-2008, 06:19 PM
record more songs, distribute a cover cd around you school, workplace, areas like that, get your band name out, through the newspaper, online, facebook, myspace...stuff like that

electricnightma
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
it really helps if you know ppl..

who are the people you need to know?

Zycho
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Seems to be a problem for our band, we're U16 and only have one recording which is a cover, any ideas and tips for getting gigs?

There's your problem.

liarxliar
01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Myspace is the best nowadays. There are tons of bands that go on there, upload one song one night, and the next day their inbox is full with invitations to play local clubs. Club promoters have field days on that website. Plus, you can invite all your friends to go to your page and listen to it, too.

Or you could also play a local battle of the bands...at your school or whatever. Its a good way to get your name out, even if you don't win.

And yeah, recording an original might help.

Damascus
01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Agree with Zycho - you're not ready to gig if you only have one recording. Get an actual setlist of songs tight - I'm nowhere near an expert, but each song being roughly 3-5 minutes, you'll need around 5 for anything like a set, I'd have thought.

axemanchris
01-08-2008, 07:34 PM
If you're going to expect to play, you will typically be asked to play between 30-50 minutes for an opening set.

CT

electricnightma
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
We have 6 of our own aswell as covers

callum2903
01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
i would say if you have 6 of your own songs plus covers and they atchally good, then you should be giging already, my band and me have only recently formed, like im talking 3 pratcses, and yeh we only have 3 orignals songs and no covers yet, but we recoredd our first ever pratcsie, **** recoridng, no soudn qualtiy, on a digi cam, it sounded ****, and its ntohing like our music half the time cause it was the first time we ever played/writen together and yet we put it on myspace and we been getting tons of invites for gigs,

also be prepared all the time for gigs, on myspace there will be club promoters or bands who are puting on shows who will post things on bullitins saying " band needed for tonyt, start 7 sound cheek5, give us a call if you can make it"

i would also suggest getting your set put down on an acoustic patform as well, one you can record it amzingly easy with ok sound quality that way, and it gives people an idea still of your songs, and plus youn can play to anyone anywhere with accoustics, no electricity, so just go nuts, play at parties, dont be scared of that just play when ever you can mate!

well chuffed btw, getting the vocals onto our songs now, cheese, finaly got a singer :D yay! cya soon

electricnightma
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Well we've only practiced 5 or 6 times, and have a recording too, but we're pretty tight, so hopefully we can pull some off