Tips for acoustic delta blues

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for acoustic delta blues

Beakwithteeth
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Yo. I searched through the threads the other day but forgot to post mine upon finding none. If I missed a previous thread like this I apologize (I don't want my first thread in blues and jazz to cause me to get shunned.)

Does anyone have any tips on how to play acoustic delta blues? I am trying to get better t that style but at the moment I suck a lot. I know almost all of the players that I listen to play with fingers but I can't get a very powerful sound out of just my fingers and end up using a pick even though I feel like a loser. :(

ColdGin
01-07-2008, 05:36 AM
Play with a metronome and learn to stomp the beat with your foot while sitting.
Not only does it instantly make songs more lively, it also makes those notes behind the beat in laid back passages stand out, instead of making folks think you are slowing down.

Also, drop the pick and if it ain't loud enough, learn how to use a thumbpick.

Finally, remember, with exception of a very few, most blues musicians were self taught and technically quite limited for them to expand their style, knowning at most, maybe 10 chords. So,what they'd do from song to song, is change tempo, change rythm, change song structure (mississippi blues is not 12 bar blues, sometimes players would all of sudden play 3 or 7 bar verses to keep the audience on it's toes) and use dynamics (crescendo and diminuendo in bar dynamics), rather than fiddle with chord voicings.

ze monsta
01-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Yo. I searched through the threads the other day but forgot to post mine upon finding none. If I missed a previous thread like this I apologize (I don't want my first thread in blues and jazz to cause me to get shunned.)

Does anyone have any tips on how to play acoustic delta blues? I am trying to get better t that style but at the moment I suck a lot. I know almost all of the players that I listen to play with fingers but I can't get a very powerful sound out of just my fingers and end up using a pick even though I feel like a loser. :(

I started playing classical, so my right hand was pretty strong in the picking aspect.
We never get anything on Delta Blues :p: Thank you so much. Is the best fo' sho'!

:cheers:

Sorry dude, but it's a case of the 3 P's.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
Everyone starts somewhere, you can't expect to be pretty strong at first, hell, I found it really hard, but it's what you gotta do.

:peace:
Monsta

Beakwithteeth
01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
lol obvious stuff, yeah I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything. I need to get over myself and learn some tabs all the way, I'm way too much of an impatient bastard to ever finish learning a whole song. Thanks