Blues Bassline tabs

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Bassline tabs

detroit
01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Hello. I was wondering if you masterminds of UG could help me? I play Bass and am looking for some good blues bassline tabs to learn with. I am still pretty new at this thing they call Bass guitar. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

GD_GC
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Blues bass is just something else man, good luck with it. But yeah tabs are hard to find, its probably easier just to listen and try and pick out what the greats are doing. Maybe listen to Tommy Shannon of Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, I've always really liked his basslines.

Dimebag22
01-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I would probably try picking up a book from your local store about walking bass patterns but normally, in a 12 bar blues, you would want your root, 4th and 5th. So basically in E you would want E (root) for 4 bars, then your A (4th) for 2 bars, then your E again for 2 more, then your B (5th) for 2 bars, then back to the E for two more bars. That makes 12 bars.

Also, if you don't know how the Root and 4th ect comes in, let me know and I'll explain how all this works.

gopherthegreat
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I would probably try picking up a book from your local store about walking bass patterns but normally, in a 12 bar blues, you would want your root, 4th and 5th. So basically in E you would want E (root) for 4 bars, than your A (3rd) for 2 bars, than your E again for 2 more, than your B (5th) for 2 bars, than back to the E for two more bars. That makes 12 bars.

Also, if you don't know how the Root and 4th ect comes in, let me know and I'll explain how all this works.
you mean 4th. the third of E would be Ab

sinan90
01-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Actually the 3rd would be G#, even though they sound as the same note, they're not, and to call it Ab would be incorrect.

There's a great Hal Leonard book on blues that I picked up when I just started learning, I'll see if I can find a link for it. But blues is also a lot about feel rather than the notes played, much like funk in that respect. The best way to learn that is to listen to lots of blues and copy it.

EDIT:http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Complete-Blues-Bass-Book/dp/0786665564/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199721606&sr=8-5

ze monsta
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Find a book.
Easiest way to learn blues bass.
Theres so much to learn and so much variation you can't just say this, this and this.

Dimebag22
01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Ah **** yeah, I said forth before but I said third here for some reason :confused:

I meant 4th though

TNfootballfan62
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm doing what i can to teach a good friend of mine some nice blues basslines, but if any of you do happen to have a good website or some other source for tabs that he can practice on his own without me, that would be much appreciated.

:cheers:

detroit
01-08-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm doing what i can to teach a good friend of mine some nice blues basslines, but if any of you do happen to have a good website or some other source for tabs that he can practice on his own without me, that would be much appreciated.

:cheers:

That's what I would like to find but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there for blues tabs. I can find akk kinds of metal, and rock songs though. There is nothing wrong with those types of music. I love to listen to that as well. I am just not as interested in playing them as I am blues.

gopherthegreat
01-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Actually the 3rd would be G#, even though they sound as the same note, they're not, and to call it Ab would be incorrect.
i know they're different (my guitar teacher says so :p: ), but i have no idea how they are, or when to say which one. so i usually say Ab instead of G# or Db instead of C#.

sinan90
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM
i know they're different (my guitar teacher says so :p: ), but i have no idea how they are, or when to say which one. so i usually say Ab instead of G# or Db instead of C#.

It's all to do with keys and scales. Use the WWHWWWH formula from E or whatever note to get the scale, then since each letter should be different after each other. IE not E Gb Ab A B Db Eb E but E F# G# A B C# D# E.