Drummer Predicament

PDA

View Full Version : Drummer Predicament

Ssargentslayer
01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Seems like a lot of people have drumming problems around here so Im gunna tell you guys mine. I play guitar and my friend plays bass and we are looking for a drummer and maybe a singer later on. Or maybe before. Doesnt matter. We have 4 drummers to choose from.

1. first guy is already kind of in our band. Hes decent. The only problem is weve had him for almost half a year and he can only play 2 songs that me and my friend can play. We practiced with him like 10 times and can never get in touch with him. Plus his little brother is always playing crappy guitar riffs over us when we do try to practice.

2. Fairly simple. Hes good but Im not really friends with him.

3. Loves the idea of a band but hes not that good and can be very annoying.

4. We already tried this guy and when we told him he had to go he had a fit and he hates us now.

I would love to hear your opinions and I would like to find the best choice without getting to many people pissed off at me.

DuffMcKagan7179
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Um. Is this really a question? #2.

SSL27
01-06-2008, 10:54 PM
#3 sounds just like my drummer, but I'd say go with #2

Ssargentslayer
01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah i need to know which drummer i should choose.

SSL27
01-06-2008, 10:56 PM
i told you, go with #2

Paul Lambeth
01-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Personal friendships don't rule over musical talent. Look at Interpol, Carlos (bassist) and Paul (lead singer/guitarist) hated each other for months.

Go for 2.

Zycho
01-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Is this a joke? The obvious answer is 2.

henza_x
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
# 4 is off the list i dunno WHY u included him.

2 wins. you BECOME friends, gee never thought of that?

v8ko
01-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Number 2 for sure.

Heres a little tip for you as well. I will use me as an example. When our band has to find a new musician I rarely have some random person come by my home studio that I dont know well, last thing I want is to advertise all my equipment etc to the wrong person. First off we get together as a band and have coffee or lunch...heck go bowling but be in a different enviroment than something musical. IF you get along or see some prospect in someone outside that enviroment things are good.

IMO always go for the guy with the talent it can only improve you as musicians and it doesnt matter if your 14 and youve played for 6 months or youre recording on a major label.

Tsucchi
01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Always seems like drummers are the problem...haha

Ssargentslayer
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Always seems like drummers are the problem...haha
yup

Freunleven
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
It's not that drummers are the problem. The problem is finding a good drummer and then keeping them in your band.

:satan:

Tsucchi
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
It's not that drummers are the problem. The problem is finding a good drummer and then keeping them in your band.

:satan:
I play with Paul Stoot, he was in the final four of the GC Drumoff... so I'm covered :)

Guitar_Gangster
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Seems like a lot of people have drumming problems around here so Im gunna tell you guys mine. I play guitar and my friend plays bass and we are looking for a drummer and maybe a singer later on. Or maybe before. Doesnt matter. We have 4 drummers to choose from.

1. first guy is already kind of in our band. Hes decent. The only problem is weve had him for almost half a year and he can only play 2 songs that me and my friend can play. We practiced with him like 10 times and can never get in touch with him. Plus his little brother is always playing crappy guitar riffs over us when we do try to practice.

2. Fairly simple. Hes good but Im not really friends with him.

3. Loves the idea of a band but hes not that good and can be very annoying.

4. We already tried this guy and when we told him he had to go he had a fit and he hates us now.

I would love to hear your opinions and I would like to find the best choice without getting to many people pissed off at me.

1. needs to get sorted out or its a nono.
2. get to know him some more hang bout with him who knows you may become friends and be a good band :o
3. if he really loves the idea of a band he should improve fast.
4. Well it looks like he really isnt an option.

Mr.Cuddles
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
well a crappy drummer can kill your band and good drummer can make it awsome...
so id go with the best one...
3 sounds dedicated
2 sounds good
1 sounds a lil lazy...
id go with 2

pandora_grunt
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I didn't know my entire band (current line-up) when we first started. 6 months later I'm totally friends with the bassist and the rest is simply cool to chill with. Friendship can always come between the two of you.

So number 2 it is

drbobgfx
01-12-2008, 11:41 AM
#2 but how can you NOT know songs on drums? I've played songs I've never heard before, but w/e. Go with 2, and like they said, BECOME friends with them. I'm glad I'm a drummer, and not fat and lazy, I actually go to practice. :P

LeperAffinity
01-12-2008, 12:09 PM
I'd say friend over talent... I'd rather have a crappy drummer that I'm friends with than an amazing one that I don't like.
Skill can be taught, personality can't.