Beginner and Intermediate Blues Tabs

PDA

View Full Version : Beginner and Intermediate Blues Tabs

gruenburger
01-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi,

Can some of you guys suggest some beginner to intermediate blues tabs to play?

Thanks

:)

edit: I tried this on other sections and got no responses :(

geetarmanic
01-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm a beginner and found these 20 Blues patterns (short licks/riffs) useful:

http://www.e-tabs.org/viewlesson.php?lid=15

Also, try these tabbed/video lessons:

http://videoguitarlessons.guitarvoice.com/course/view.php?id=6

http://videoguitarlessons.guitarvoice.com/course/view.php?id=11

I really like this one but it's a bit beyond my ability right now (check out the video): http://videoguitarlessons.guitarvoice.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=262

ze monsta
01-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Try and learn the positions of the pentatonic blues scale.
As I guess you are looking for blues rock.
Try and be a little bit more specific next time.

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton is pretty easy.
Then you might wanna try Little Wing :p:

gruenburger
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Ya I cant be more specific :) I don't know enough to be specific yet lol

ze monsta
01-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Ya I cant be more specific :) I don't know enough to be specific yet lol
Fair enough.
You'll get more out of people like GD GC than me to be honest, I don't know as much as him or theneildeal do about this stuff.
Or suburbancowboy for that matter. :p:

EDIT: That complete n00b Dimebag22 is pretty good aswell. :p:

gruenburger
01-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Wow thanks geetarmanic for the lick/riff page. It really helps a lot.

gruenburger
01-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Fair enough.
You'll get more out of people like GD GC than me to be honest, I don't know as much as him or theneildeal do about this stuff.

Im planning to leanr all the scales soon. Thanks for the songs suggestions. I will def try them...as soon as I finish learning Black Magic Woman :)

Garou1911
01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Give "Life by the Drop" By Stevie Ray Vaughn a shot. The timing in the intro is a little tricky but it's a great intro to the 7 bar format (and a really good song :D )

Check out some ZZ Top. They might be a little more rock then blues but Gibbons is a master of those kinda dusty Texas blues riffs and a really impressive guitarist.

Dimebag22
01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Fair enough.
Pfft, thanks for mentioning me *cries*

I'll get back to this tomorrow okay bro? I gotta get to bed now.

ze monsta
01-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Pfft, thanks for mentioning me *cries*

I'll get back to this tomorrow okay bro? I gotta get to bed now.
I'm sorry, dude. :(
Yeah, you're now up there. ;)

Dimebag22
01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Ok, first it would be a very, very good idea to learn the basic theory of the blues. Then, once you have that down, try looking at certain songs and you will find that many of these songs use the exact same theory as you just learned.

So it would be really great if you learn the basic spread rhythm that goes I, IV, V. So if you were in E, the I chord would be E obviously, the IV chord would be A, and the V chord would be B. So a basic spread rhythm in E would be:

D--------------------------2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4----------------------------------------
A----2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4
E----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

D----2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4------------------------------------------
A----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-5-5-4-4-2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4
E-------------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

D----4-4-6-6-4-4-6-6--2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4------------------------4-4-6-6-4-4-6-6
A----2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2--0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--2-2-4-4-2-2-4-4--2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2
E--------------------------------------------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---------------------

Now there are many different ways to play a 12 bar progression and this is just one of the ways. This way is Root for 1 bar, IV for 1 bar, root for 2 bars, IV for 2 bars, Root for 2 bars, V for 1 bar, IV for 1 bar, root for 1 bar, and then V for 1 bar.

You can also use this: root for 4 bars, IV for 2 bars, root for 2 bars, IV for 2 bars, than back to the root for 2 more bars. That makes 12 bars.

To get some good bass walking patterns try SRV's Pride And Joy, once you get the hang of this.

Then you should learn the blues scale and the pentatonic scale, this can be found here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_and_minor_pentatonic_scales.html)
and here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/blues_scales.html) Get this down! Know these scales by heart, it will help you out a lot when you jam with people or just improvising with a jam track.

Hope that helps you a little bit, I know you were asking for beginner songs to play, but once you get the hang of this you'll be smokin'! :cheers:

studer
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
I agree with Dimebag. Just to get you started, if you can master the minor penatonic scale and know where your notes on the low E string are, you would play the Minor Penatonic scale right over the top. So in the key of "A" Low E string fifth fret, play a minor penatonic scale right over the top (starting with "A") Basically 2 notes per string except on the "A" string there is a blues note right in between the 2 notes on "A" and on the "G" string after the second note on "G"

Should look like this:

o__________o
o___o___o
o_______o
o_______o__o
o__________o
o__________o

Bold Blue circles are your blues notes!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!

Dimebag22
01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
I agree with Dimebag. Just to get you started, if you can master the minor penatonic scale and know where your notes on the low E string are, you would play the Minor Penatonic scale right over the top. So in the key of "A" Low E string fifth fret, play a minor penatonic scale right over the top (starting with "A") Basically 2 notes per string except on the "A" string there is a blues note right in between the 2 notes on "A" and on the "G" string after the second note on "G"

Should look like this:

o__________o
o___o___o
o_______o
o_______o__o
o__________o
o__________o

Bold Blue circles are your blues notes!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!
Actually dude the scale goes like this:

|5-|--|--|8-|
|5-|--|--|8-|
|5-|--|7-|8-|
|5-|--|7-|
|5-|6-|7-|
|5-|--|--|8-|

That's how I learned it. :)
:cheers:

Blurry 505
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
^ Diddo on that scale

Thats the blues pentatonic scale which can be played over just about anything really.
I'm not sure on how long you've been playing but learn some chords also. Great blues chord is just a seventh chord which can be most easily played like this:

C7 or C9
|-0-| |-3-|
|-1-| |-3-|
|-3-| |-3-|
|-2-| |-2-|
|-3-| |-3-|
|-x-| |-x-|

Those chord shapes can be used anywhere on the neck. The 3rd fret on the A string are the roots. Move that single note to any on the neck and use that shape and it will be x7 or x9. x being whatever letter :p:

For blues progressions I believe Dimebag did it perfectly. That is the most common/easiest 12 bar blues progressions. Keep in mind theres no certain way to do those, so when you get better with chords and keys you can (obviously) do whatever you want.

And theres also a couple other types of blues scales, but stick with the pentatonic. The best players have/do use that all the time. There's no shame in using a pentatonic scale, no matter what people say.

Great things to learn are Cold Shot and Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan. Easy songs to play (to an extent) but they sound so badass! And those are some "standard" blues stuff (dont know what word to use.. picking strumming..haha)
Otherwise theres a couple other threads in this subforum and in the musicans forum for other recommendations and stuff like that. Heres a couple site to help guide you though:

Just about EVERYTHING blues:
http://www.12bar.de/

Chords:
http://chordfind.com/

My advice: favorite those and visit them very very often! :)

Hope I helped a little and not just rambled. Good luck and enter the next blues contest! :cool: