What doest being the leader mean?

PDA

View Full Version : What doest being the leader mean?

Pabli7o
01-07-2008, 02:39 AM
It caught my attention and i got a little mad when i read this post (nothing personal with you man)

My last band threw me out because I was dragging them in a direction they didn't want to go.

Now? I've put together a band myself, and we're basically all in agreement on what we want to do and where we want to go, so we're (for now) equals. I know it never wrks out truly equal, but there is my answer.
What make you a leader, and what is your job?
Being the singer =/= leader
Writing 51% of the songs =/= leader
Being the one who plays the instrument for the longest time =/= leader

Being the "leader" wont give you the right to kick somebody out because you don't like his face. I don't believe BANDS have leaders unless it's called Pablo's Band. You get the idea.

Famous or not famous bands with a leader always end up like GnR. Example: evanescence is all about Amy. Is it true that latest Megadeth album was meant to be Dave's solo album but couldn't do it for some label issues?

My fav band is Killswitch Engage because there are no Egos between them. They are all very talented but wont step on anybody's toes or tr to run over the other ( Lars VS James in metallica's Some Kind Of Monster)

What you say is a good band leader. What is his job? what is NOT his job but most of them do?

Sorry for the half wall of text.

lp_std
01-07-2008, 02:43 AM
you just made a really good point. people should read this.

:golfclap:

powerage225
01-07-2008, 02:52 AM
There are probably ego's in Killswitch, they just keep it out of the public
The guitar player (Adam D......tz) seems to be the leader of the band though

Pabli7o
01-07-2008, 02:53 AM
Maybe because he is the producer AND member of the band.

ibanezguitars44
01-07-2008, 02:56 AM
i fell like im the band leader in my band. i write all the guitar parts, help out with lyrics, book all shows, and schedule all practices. i even hauled ALL the gear from our school when we played at a pep rally.

Pabli7o
01-07-2008, 03:14 AM
i fell like im the band leader in my band. i write all the guitar parts, help out with lyrics, book all shows, and schedule all practices. i even hauled ALL the gear from our school when we played at a pep rally.

I think you are the active member of your band which is a great thing! If you were the ideal leader, you would tell another member to book shows, or take the gear and will have to do it.

Schedule practice. In my band we had a day and a time for practices that EVERYBODY had set, so if we couldn't make it, we would tell the guy whose basement we practiced at which btw owning the the practice space =/= Leader. haha

Taydr
01-07-2008, 03:33 AM
To me, the "leader" is the person who keeps the band organized. Things like booking shows, getting studio time, arranging practices to fit with everybodys schedules, things like that. Writing songs definately does not make you a leader, because ideally everyone would write their own part, in order to prevent conflicts over who owns what if the band should ever split up. Owning the practice space, having played the insrument the longest, even being the founder don't give the right to be leader. In a band everyone should have an equal say on everything. This includes shows, practices, kicking a member, ANYTHING. The leader should be the one who phones up places and other bands, after the decision has been made by the whole band, to arrange shows. The leader is, to me, the one who does the communicating between the band and other bands, venues, whatever. As such he/she shouldn't even be called a leader, because being in a band is about being part of a whole, and bands should make all decisions together.

To sum that up, a band should not have a leader, because bands should make all decisions as a band.

v8ko
01-07-2008, 07:35 AM
This is a good question.

In my particular situation Im the band leader, does that mean I want to be the band leader not exactly lol. Does there need to be someone that calls the band members on practice day to make sure everyone is on the same page? Someone to organize and structure band gigs, meetings etc? someone that will take the time aside to talk with a single band member if something isnt right personally or musically? Someone that can keep the band focused when things wander.

If your wondering who is the leader in a band wait till a song is over or a set is over during practice and see who everyone is looking at, at that moment....thats your band leader.

v8ko
01-07-2008, 07:47 AM
To me, the "leader" is the person who keeps the band organized. Things like booking shows, getting studio time, arranging practices to fit with everybodys schedules, things like that. Writing songs definately does not make you a leader, because ideally everyone would write their own part, in order to prevent conflicts over who owns what if the band should ever split up. Owning the practice space, having played the insrument the longest, even being the founder don't give the right to be leader. In a band everyone should have an equal say on everything. This includes shows, practices, kicking a member, ANYTHING. The leader should be the one who phones up places and other bands, after the decision has been made by the whole band, to arrange shows. The leader is, to me, the one who does the communicating between the band and other bands, venues, whatever. As such he/she shouldn't even be called a leader, because being in a band is about being part of a whole, and bands should make all decisions together.

To sum that up, a band should not have a leader, because bands should make all decisions as a band.

Sorry for the double post guys but I just read this and wanted to comment.

YOur right in alot of ways...its like someone saying I have seniority over someone at work because I started 1 week before someone else. However SOMEONE has to make a final decision. Hopefully that someone can stand back and look at the big picture (haha if you wanna call bar gigging a big picture) and make decisions that will not harm but help.

When I make a decision for the band you better believe that Ive heard from everyone in the band and I go overboard sometimes with trying to fix problems that arise...so once I make a decision say to remove a member its generally time.

So, yes band should make decisions together but its never a cut and dry thing. Youll always have someone sitting on the fence over an issue and another that will refuse to see the point that 3 other people are making etc.

The last thing is most working bands that do well dont have a band leader they have a manager.

rizo299
01-07-2008, 08:01 AM
All bands end up with someone in a leader-ish position. Even if the band as a whole makes most decisions, there'll be one person who they trust to do more organisation who's allowed to make some decisions without having to go and get permission from everyone else.

If there's not someone in that sort of possition, shit tends to fall apart.

While there might not be often be a leader in the sense of an almighty member who makes all the decisions that everyone must agree to, more often than not, there is a sort of leader.

rhoads4ever
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
All bands end up with someone in a leader-ish position. Even if the band as a whole makes most decisions, there'll be one person who they trust to do more organisation who's allowed to make some decisions without having to go and get permission from everyone else.

If there's not someone in that sort of possition, shit tends to fall apart.

While there might not be often be a leader in the sense of an almighty member who makes all the decisions that everyone must agree to, more often than not, there is a sort of leader.

+1 couldn't have said it better.

Pabli7o
01-07-2008, 02:37 PM
As such he/she shouldn't even be called a leader, because being in a band is about being part of a whole, and bands should make all decisions together.

You cheated! you read my mind!!! But you articulated it better than me. Yup thats what i believe a band is.

Example of a democrat band without a ruling leader: (my (ex?)band)
The days we couldn't practice at my friends house (=/= leader), whoever wasnt working that day, or had free time, had to call up places to practice at. Drummer isnt working today? drummer is the assigned person. This person VOLUNTEERS to do so.

Whoever wasn't working or going to school the day of a gig, would pick up everybody's gear from their houses to get to the gig faster. Bassist is free? take the GF's car and pick up the gear (that was previously put together on the musicians bed).

The singer/rhythm guitar came up with 51% of the songs' structure in our demo. Then each one of us would come up with our individual parts, respecting whoever brought the material we would ask "is this what you had in mind?"

I wrote the other 49% of the material. I found and booked shows, I found the producer and schedule studio time, after OKing with EVERYBODY.

We all wrote lyrics and edited other people's lyrics (for better)

Non-musicians thing the singer is the leader because he is the one with the mic and the one who talks at shows

We kinda wrote up cause of differences in style. Im too metal for the drummer and he let me know it. The other singer is too mellow for me, and i told him. Until we find a way to put all influences together...we wont come back on stage.

frigginjerk
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
i'm the "leader" of my band. I'm a natural leader, so all my life this kind of thing has just sort of fallen to me, and people don't seem to mind being led by me. I'm the principal music writer, but everyone writes their own parts to the songs. the singer writes his own lyrics, and the band is named after HIM, not me.

what my job as leader entails is:

I'm usually the communications hub for the band members. People call ME to confirm practices, let me know their availability, check dates and times, etc...

My phone number is the one going on all our demo discs to be called back for booking of shows.

If any dealings need to be made with club owners, other bands, associates, etc... i will be involved.

As I am a smooth talker, I am usually the one who has to bring up sensitive issues. If the signer tells me that the bassist's backup vocals are lacking, I usually break that news to him, and put a spin on it so that it doesn't sound like a personal attack. Same goes for people half-assing it in practice, people skipping jams, etc etc etc... if any discipline must be handed down, it comes from me.

I usually organize any monetary stuff too. I'll hold the band fund at my place, I'll be the guy to get paid at shows, i'll be the guy to make sure the doorman isn't stealing our cover charge, etc etc etc.

so essentially, i take care of loose ends, and i put out the fires.

Jamingguitarist
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
What about Blues Artists such as Buddy Guy, Albert King and really all of them. They truly are the band leaders. Unless you consider that different because their backing band.

Taydr
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
You cheated! you read my mind!!! But you articulated it better than me. Yup thats what i believe a band is.

Example of a democrat band without a ruling leader: (my (ex?)band)
The days we couldn't practice at my friends house (=/= leader), whoever wasnt working that day, or had free time, had to call up places to practice at. Drummer isnt working today? drummer is the assigned person. This person VOLUNTEERS to do so.

Whoever wasn't working or going to school the day of a gig, would pick up everybody's gear from their houses to get to the gig faster. Bassist is free? take the GF's car and pick up the gear (that was previously put together on the musicians bed).

The singer/rhythm guitar came up with 51% of the songs' structure in our demo. Then each one of us would come up with our individual parts, respecting whoever brought the material we would ask "is this what you had in mind?"

I wrote the other 49% of the material. I found and booked shows, I found the producer and schedule studio time, after OKing with EVERYBODY.

We all wrote lyrics and edited other people's lyrics (for better)

Non-musicians thing the singer is the leader because he is the one with the mic and the one who talks at shows

We kinda wrote up cause of differences in style. Im too metal for the drummer and he let me know it. The other singer is too mellow for me, and i told him. Until we find a way to put all influences together...we wont come back on stage.

Nah mate, great minds just think alike.

However your band is exactly what I believe a band should be like. I quit/was kicked out of my last band because the guy with fake I.D. thought, that just because he could buy cigarettes for the other two band members, he was the band leader. Ironically, he was the only one who never attended band practices, and never made any contributions to the band, while I was the one trying to organize practices, gigs, songs to play, whatever really, while eveyone else lay around smoking in their free time.

This year I plan on getting another band together, which will be organized like your band, with everyone making the decisions, and whoever's free doing the work that has to be done at the time, and if more than one person is free, splitting the work equally. Hopefully it works out.

Dunjma
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
i've always thought of a leader as someone who doesnt just tell everyone what to do because they have been given the power by someone higher, (sometimes the case in workplaces) instead, is just the person who people seem to naturally turn to when something needs doing.

the best leader doesnt just sit back and watches as the work gets done, bet helps get it done as quickly and efficiently as possible, as well as handling managerial tasks, not because someone told them to but because they want to.

and the biggest thing in my mind is that the leader will always listen to those they are leading and take their advice into consideration when making a decision.

bomernee
01-07-2008, 11:09 PM
all good points, but imho the band "leader" in my band is me. But i say that losely cos i write a lot of the guitar, me and the drummer really click, and i think thats very important from the knowledge ive aquired (from eating brains like sylar in hero!!!) is to make a band u NEED 2 people, they are the core, maybe one of u will do the organising and arranging, but like me and my drummer he makes me sound good and i make him sound good and we get on so hopefully egos wont get in the way!!! we have a bassist whos some inflames guitar genius and he itimidates my drummer and my drummer is better when its just me and him!

v8ko
01-08-2008, 12:06 AM
what my job as leader entails is:

I'm usually the communications hub for the band members. People call ME to confirm practices, let me know their availability, check dates and times, etc...

:) yea I used to do that but its so much easier and less time consuming to MAKE THE CALLS and not wonder when and who has or has not called...plus throw some curve ball in there and things could get mucked up pretty quick.

More than one way to skin a cat eh?

blobby_427
01-09-2008, 03:28 AM
i can tell you what makes a bad leader...being a control freak. I was in a band and the vocalist suddenly decided that he was the leader cos he was the singer... We didn't need a leader but he insisted that we did. Then he took total control. We had absolutely no choice as to what songs we played or were/when we'd practice.

If you are nominated leader, remember, listen to your co-band members... Don't ignore them.

epiplayer13
01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
in any group of people a "leader "will naturally step up. good or bad good leaders well you wont even realize tehy move things along in an orderly fashion adn give the band direction while getting input from everyone making it an enjoyable group experience these are natural born leaders. bad leaders are just like all teh horror stories we are reading about hear and everywhere else. young bands have a harder time with this since no one has learned the art of leadership. and great bands "dont need one" but all bands are essentially a business so everyone needs a teask and someone has to be the taskmaster to make sure it all comes together correctly

Nomak1
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Leader is responsible for everything in band...he's lie maanger of music section.... it's very good to start band with friend rather then searching and then inviting him...

Kurapica
01-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll tell you what being the leader in the band means.

Writing most of the stuff, getting most of the gigs, sorting out most of the band practises, making sure everyone has tabs, sorting out studio time, burning CD's to sell at gigs...

...and then splitting the cash equally.

That's the only thing about gigging that annoys me. I just feel that the people who do more work should get more monies. I'm not just saying I want more money, but I feel that the bassist, who doesn't write anything or do anything asides turn up and hopefully learn the songs, shouldn't get as much as me or the others who contribute.

Mockingbird452
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Does there HAVE to be a leader? because I'm trying to start a band up and it seems like I'm the only kid in the band so far that actually wants to do something.

And I dont really like the idea of having a leader, I just like to think of them as responsible people, depending on what they do for the band. If they turn out as a tyrant like Axl Rose kind of, then thats when things get out of hand. (Hes still cool though, to me at least)

Damascus
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
No, there definitely does not have to be a leader, but I think you'll find that even if you do what all bands should and agree to split everything 4 ways, including voting/veto power, someone will end up being the main motivator/organiser. It's just how creatures work - better when there's some kind of directional focal point.

Mockingbird452
01-10-2008, 01:48 AM
I thought the manager did all that :D What do managers do? Sorry about this question, I haven't learned anything about the people other than the actual members.

Kurapica
01-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Does there HAVE to be a leader? because I'm trying to start a band up and it seems like I'm the only kid in the band so far that actually wants to do something.

Then it seems that you'll naturally fall into the "leader" role. That's the way I fell into it, because I'm the one arranging most things. It's all about pro's and con's though. On the plus side, I've got creative control pretty much. On the negative side, I have to do most of the leg work too which can be really frustrating.

But hey, it's all about playing a decent gig :D

Oh and a manager should do most of the things that a band leader does, but on a bigger scale. As bands only get managers when they're having a bit of success, they usually arrange things like tour dates, accomodation, studio time and PR.

pandora_grunt
01-10-2008, 10:13 AM
The Bandleader is the one in your band with the vision your band is following, the person that understands and clicks with everyone. He is the link that fits every piece together and so form a unity. It is not about ego, it's about a natural role.