Battle of the Bands - Two Weeks!

PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bands - Two Weeks!

guitar guy 6006
01-08-2008, 12:05 AM
My drummer just signed us up for a battle of the bands which would be fine, but its in two weeks.

Up until today our band (the courage brigade! -sick name i know) was just me and nate (drummer). today we practiced with this kid that plays bass and guitar and he could follow the song(s) (we only went through one) pretty well but it wasn't tight even after two hours of practicing one song. Ive been in bands with this bassist/guitarist (hed play bass for us) a few times and i always end up quitting due to lack of interest in musical styles, hes one of those blink-182 pop punk kids and im much more into that like indie/progressive (idk how to explain it) thing and our drummer doesnt really give a ****...

anyway this kid can drive and me and nate cant so thats a huge plus and hes actually not that bad as a bassist you dont really notice his flaws to much when were playing he just kinda muddys up our sound so basically what im asking is should i just stick with this kid on bass and do the battle of the bands or do it without bass or should i just not do the battle of the bands at all. nate (drummer) would be pissed if we didnt do it

SSDDPunkRocker
01-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Talk it over with Nate, then talk as a group. If you all think your bassist is ready for Battle of the Bands, then go for it.

If he muddies up your sound, tell him to clean up his tone. Bass doesn't always mean (10 BASS) and (0 TREBLE) on the bass amp. I prefer more treble in a bass (irony.)

Good luck though.

dullsilver_mike
01-08-2008, 02:37 AM
plus and hes actually not that bad as a bassist you dont really notice his flaws to much when were playing he just kinda muddys up our sound

I'd say he actually is that bad as a bass player if he can't lock his timing in well, that's every bit as important for a bass player as hitting the right notes.

But yeah, talk to Nate before you do anything. If the drummer insists, then make him spend hours playing one on one with the bass player. Sessions with the drummer are the best way to give a bass player better timing, and you get to make the drummer toil and work for his own stubborness and desire to enter the contest.... hours and hours a week with a crappy bass player... that will teach him to drag you into things.

FuzzyBear
01-08-2008, 08:39 AM
sounds to me like your not really ready to be playing gigs...

Tsucchi
01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
If you find you can't use the bassist there's no point in quitting BOTB, just do it with your drummer. There have been several occasions I've seen where people would even go up on stage alone because their groups bailed on them, so two people would be fine.

thatbassisbitch
01-08-2008, 11:30 AM
If you find you can't use the bassist there's no point in quitting BOTB, just do it with your drummer. There have been several occasions I've seen where people would even go up on stage alone because their groups bailed on them, so two people would be fine.

I wonder how many of these people won?

If you're 100% happy with your set, then play, otherwise don't.

BOTBs Judge all sorts of things including Stage Presence (If you haven't gigged with him before, you probably won't look too comfortable on stage together)
Tightness (It doesn't sound like he has his timing down all too well which you'll get marked down on)
Originality (If he just plays same old **** this won't be good for you)

There is a lot more than that too, If I were you, I wouldn't play, I'd get a solid line up sorted, and I'd play a few local gigs first to see how the crowd react and so you can get used to each other on stage and improve your stage presence. Then, and only then would I apply for a BOTB

Pure_Morning
01-08-2008, 01:36 PM
In reality, if you go with or without the bassist, what have you got to lose?

If you win/get some gigs out of it then find a better bassist quickly (there's bound to be good local musicians at the venue watching).

Going on stage without a bass player may prompt some people to offer their services.

If you lose, then what have you lost?

v8ko
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
An ok/bad bass player can bring you down. On the other hand a band we played with a month ago that sounded pretty bad (but hey there out playing) just placed 3rd at a BOTB contest...so theres always the hope that it all comes together in one glorious moment.

Of course it helps that in there case only 3 bands showed up lol.

Tsucchi
01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I wonder how many of these people won?

If you're 100% happy with your set, then play, otherwise don't.

BOTBs Judge all sorts of things including Stage Presence (If you haven't gigged with him before, you probably won't look too comfortable on stage together)
Tightness (It doesn't sound like he has his timing down all too well which you'll get marked down on)
Originality (If he just plays same old **** this won't be good for you)

There is a lot more than that too, If I were you, I wouldn't play, I'd get a solid line up sorted, and I'd play a few local gigs first to see how the crowd react and so you can get used to each other on stage and improve your stage presence. Then, and only then would I apply for a BOTB
Winning isn't worth anywhere near as much as the experience is sir, unless the price is just enormous. Whatever happened to the fun part of competition? If you wouldn't play just because you wouldn't win that says a lot about your character, aiming to win is definitely important but that should be the last of your worries.