Jazz beginnings?

PDA

View Full Version : Jazz beginnings?

ze monsta
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
What's the first type of Jazz that was recognised as Jazz and CALLED Jazz.
Coz I've been reading up and still don't quite understand.
Anybody able to clarify it?

Yh, I'm becoming a jazz newbie :p:

Nemesis117
01-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Probably Dixieland Jazz. Otherwise known as Trad Jazz or New Orleans Jazz

we have to learn it for A Level Music

dividedsky
01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
^ that's about right. Jellyroll Morton has claimed that he "invented" jazz, and has that sort of sound. Really jazz came from a combination of the blues and ragtime sort of stuff, and started pretty much with that New Orleans sound.

C_Miller
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, Early Louis Armstrong, and Sidney Bechet are all good examples of Early N.O. style Jazz.

Nerdo-sez-bo
05-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Probably Dixieland Jazz. Otherwise known as Trad Jazz or New Orleans Jazz

we have to learn it for A Level Music

Life's a bitch, ay Crustypants?

Nick_
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
As stated, Jelly Roll claims to have invented jazz when he played a rag in 4 instead of 2.

The first stuff that was recognized as jazz and called that was the New Orleans whorehousesound of the 20s.

Beakwithteeth
05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
The oldest jazz I have heard sounds almost identical to polka to me.

ze monsta
05-07-2008, 02:20 PM
As stated, Jelly Roll claims to have invented jazz when he played a rag in 4 instead of 2.

The first stuff that was recognized as jazz and called that was the New Orleans whorehousesound of the 20s.
Yeah, I listened to Jelly Roll Morton, before I made this thread, cause I'm a big fan of ragtime. And I knew he claimed to have created Jazz, but WC Handy also claimed that doesn't he?

By *****house sound, you mean piano that was played in brothels? Skip James used to do that. :haha

Nick_
05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I forget what they were called (I'll look it up tomorrow if I remember): May have been "The Original Dixieland Jass Band" but they were from New Orleans and toured to the North and as far as anyone can tell it's the first recorded instance of "jazz"

Much of the beginning jazz, as it developed from ragtime in New Orleans wasn't recorded - recording was only done in the Northern states; very few ventured out until Storyville (New Orleans' red light district) was shut down at request of the Navy (1917? I'm awful with dates).

Jazz most certainly, however, developed from the music played in the honky-tonks and brothels so that the strippers could dance. Take that, aging, pretentious, turtlenecked jazz fans.

INDUSTRIALMETAL
05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Well depends on your point of view on what first means. The very first band to record a "jazz" album was the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, who of course, hogged all the credit for making the music up. However, the original practitioners were, as Nick_ mentioned, bands who played in Storyville , people like King Oliver, Sidney Bechet and Louis Armstrong. Louis actually got his biggest boost from King, whom he eventually eclipsed in popularity both with his studio exclusive Hot Five (featuring Johnny st. Cyr, a future influence on Jazz guitar and Lil Hardin who eventually became Mrs Armstrong), and featured status as a part of many bands. Jelly Roll Morton, who was quite the ladies man and pimp spent much time playing solo in rent parties and brothels. His effect on jazz was from a more scholarly point of view, composing and moving the music forward, rather than creating the original sound.

However, the one name most responsible for inspiring King Oliver, who then influenced jazz for all time was Buddy Bolden. Although very little remains of Bolden's life story his substantial playing style would influence those who heard him. Of course, it wasn't until the upperclass Creoles were forced to socialize with the lower class blacks that solid music theory was melded with Bolden's style and gave birth to jazz.

Nemesis117
05-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Life's a bitch, ay Crustypants?
yeah but we get to listen to So What so

YEAAAAAAAAAAH

ColdGin
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Ragtime, 1880s-early 1900s: Scott Joplin, Irving Berlin, Artie Matthews, James Scott, Tom Turpin.

Don't think of ragtime as a fixed format.

Before music was specifically written for silent movies and recorded on piano rolls, movie theaters hired pianists to make up the music on the fly. These were mostly ragtime pianists who'd play in theaters during the day and bars/joints at night.

ze monsta
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
To be honest ColdGin, I'm sick and tired of you, and my question was answer ages ago. :)

ColdGin
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
To be honest ColdGin, I'm sick and tired of you, and my question was answer ages ago. :)
This might come as a surprise and deceive you and your tiny ego, I was addressing the topic, not you.

If I'll ever want to address you, I'll call you out or PM.

ze monsta
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh, well isn't that wonderful of you, you little saint.

The thread was started as a question, and I obviously hold no place in saying who can or cannot post, but I feel there is no need for this thread to carry on. :)

ColdGin
05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Oh, well isn't that wonderful of you, you little saint.

The thread was started as a question, and I obviously hold no place in saying who can or cannot post, but I feel there is no need for this thread to carry on. :)
Let me help you out:

A search for all posts by 'ze monsta' containing 'reported' returns not less than 24 posts, 23 in the last 6 months.

You get paid for all that squealing, or is it a hobby ?

Anyways, you can close this thread anytime, all you have to do is report yourself for spamming.

theneildeal
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
arguing with a 13 year old. SCORE!

ze monsta
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Let me help you out:

A search for all posts by 'ze monsta' containing 'reported' returns not less than 24 posts, 23 in the last 6 months.

You get paid for all that squealing, or is it a hobby ?

Anyways, you can close this thread anytime, all you have to do is report yourself for spamming.

What's bad about reporting, may I ask?

Beakwithteeth
05-23-2008, 05:39 PM
It cleans up the forums, asshole! None of us want that.