Changes in Blues

PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Blues

ze monsta
01-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Obviously, every "genre" evolves and changes, blues has especially changed.
From the acoustic Delta, to Chicago, to Blues Rock, and in turn influencing *I think it's fair to say* all rock music.
But do you think blues as we know it in it's biggest form now, blues rock, with the likes of Clapton, John Mayer, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, to name some of the bands/people that are still alive, will ever return to it's most primitive state, or would this take another ice-age?

FlamingYouth
01-08-2008, 02:24 PM
hmm. probably another ice age. but don't worry, it looks like we're headed straight for one anyways.

Beakwithteeth
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
That would be awesome if we went back to old blues. Keb' Mo does that kind of stuff occasionally but most of his stuff is pretty pop, but then again that could lead to more interest in delta blues... so I guess we can mostly hope and pray, maybe even lead the revolution, hmmm?

imgooley
01-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Government Mule son. Listen to Smokestack lightning.

Sleepn_Giant
01-13-2008, 05:35 AM
It could happen. But it will never be very mainstream unless there is something significantly new that is added to the mix. But I'm sure there will always be a good audience for it (at least hopefully lasting our lifetimes).

Blurry 505
01-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Or maybe we dont think its around because either
A: We dont live in Atlanta, Chicago, or *insert deep southern state*
B: Its not on the radio, any radio. Be it actual or online blues radios

I think its still around, but blues rock will definitely stay for a little while yet. Most genres dont really go back to the beginning, and if they do its for a very short time.

.. or ..

C: Ze Monsta should spearhead the comeback of delta blues!

ze monsta
01-13-2008, 04:33 PM
C: Ze Monsta should spearhead the comeback of delta blues!

I'd love to! :) :p:

TheDev01dOne
01-13-2008, 05:32 PM
I think the main 'body' of blues will always be with the blues/rock and then move on after that changes but with every musiv genre there are always the people that don't move on and stick with the roots or whatever.

There are a few pretty delta-y blues sounding bands/artists around still, even if it is a little more modern it's still mostly delta blues. Chicago blues is still very much charging on since most of those original guys, Buddy Guy, B.B. King etc are still touring their arses off.

So I don't think as a complete genre it will ever return back to it's roots but there are always people out there who go bac to the roots and keep it alive. Maybe in 50 years there will be a delta blues revivalist movement but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

clement1
01-13-2008, 05:47 PM
I cant see it ever being the same as the old days but man, what id give to see another Stevie Ray Vaughan like guitarist on the scene.............personally i think music today just sucks!

(With the exception of a few who have been around for years and are still going)

theneildeal
01-13-2008, 07:09 PM
i don't think that we'll get a delta blues revival. Although, Clapton has brought Robert Johnson to everyone's attention, so maybe delta blues will influence the next generation of blues players. I hope so because johnson is incredible.

Im really interested to see how John Mayer progresses as a blues musician. He started really poppy and acoustic, and he's venturing into straight blues territory. I guess that now he is established, he can play what he wants to.

I always think that rock music will have the blues element in it. I can't think of many bands who aren't directly or indirectly influenced by the blues rock greats: led zep, hendrix, gnr, aerosmith etc. Maybe that will influence more people to check out blues. Who knows, but im really excited about the future of blues!

Carswell98
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
I cant see it ever being the same as the old days but man, what id give to see another Stevie Ray Vaughan like guitarist on the scene.............personally i think music today just sucks!

(With the exception of a few who have been around for years and are still going)

I think that is what the genre needs as well, I rest my hopes on the three that everybody talk about, Joe Bonamassa, even though he is a little effect heavy for my taste and then Mayer and Trucks, I really think that they are about the best shot(right now) of getting blues to any bit of a larger audience.

one guy I'd also like to see get more of an audience is Keb' Mo', just because he really represents everything about what blues was, is(and should continue to be)

Beakwithteeth
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
keb' mo' is awesome but he has some REALLY poppy stuff. Not that it's bad but idk if he represents everything that blues is.

Carswell98
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
keb' mo' is awesome but he has some REALLY poppy stuff. Not that it's bad but idk if he represents everything that blues is.

I know, I just tend not to pay much attention to the pop stuff, I just meant he is what the genre has become, there are so few purists these days he is probably what people would think of when it comes to modern blues

j_hunter_hkr
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
The Black Keys new album should be interesting. It's being produced by Danger Mouse, he could bring something fresh and interesting to the blues rock genre.

Carswell98
01-14-2008, 07:11 PM
The Black Keys new album should be interesting. It's being produced by Danger Mouse, he could bring something fresh and interesting to the blues rock genre.

I was slightly underwhelmed by Magic Potion(still a good album though)

Rubber Factory is their best so far IMO

what do you expect would come of this change?

They seem pretty stylistically stubborn(a good thing) so do you think a change in producers will have a big effect?
They'd better not go all pop or I'll start popping caps in various asses

j_hunter_hkr
01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
If you don't know much about Danger Mouse, this is an interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Mouse

Ike Turner was also supposed to be involved in the project but obviously his death ruled him out!

I agree that Rubber Factory is their best, then Chulahoma. Magic Potion was very different for them and kudos for doing something like that. It sounds like they're heading more towards Rubber Factory for the next album though. Either way, I can't wait. Hopefully they'll come back to the UK soon.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47843-the-black-keys-reveal-danger-mouse-produced-album-

Carswell98
01-14-2008, 07:41 PM
If you don't know much about Danger Mouse, this is an interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_Mouse

Ike Turner was also supposed to be involved in the project but obviously his death ruled him out!

I agree that Rubber Factory is their best, then Chulahoma. Magic Potion was very different for them and kudos for doing something like that. It sounds like they're heading more towards Rubber Factory for the next album though. Either way, I can't wait. Hopefully they'll come back to the UK soon.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/47843-the-black-keys-reveal-danger-mouse-produced-album-

hmmm....

a bit of a leap eh?

Jay-Z to the Black Keys?

I stand by my caps in asses comment though

If this bastard screws up one of my favorite bands he'll be first

Surjit
01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
I wanna spearhead the new blues assualt.. Oh wait, nevermind, i've been playing for 2 weeks. hahaha.