School jazz band

PDA

View Full Version : School jazz band

Wells902
01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
We are starting to get the jazz band going at school, and we are looking for song suggestions. We are looking for instrumental songs that would be able to be played by a band with limited instrumentation. Any suggestions would be nice, Thanks!

C_Miller
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
We are starting to get the jazz band going at school, and we are looking for song suggestions. We are looking for instrumental songs that would be able to be played by a band with limited instrumentation. Any suggestions would be nice, Thanks!

Well going by Jazz tradition, even vocal Jazz can be made instrumental. In fact, a lot of the Jazz standards have vocals (even though they are played by bands with out vocalists). One of the biggest "forms" is to play the head (main melody), then improv, and then end back on the main melody.

So, before I give some suggestions, what kind of instrumentation are we looking at?

mustardman
01-09-2008, 01:29 AM
Buy a real book. End of story.

6touch6of.evil6
01-09-2008, 01:35 AM
the jazz band at my school covered freebird

Wells902
01-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Buy a real book. End of story.
We do have books, but were looking for more songs to add.

So, before I give some suggestions, what kind of instrumentation are we looking at?
so far it looks to be that we have two trumpets, a few saxes, guitar, bass, piano, But thats just what we have so far.

sre9981
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
We do have books, but were looking for more songs to add.

so far it looks to be that we have two trumpets, a few saxes, guitar, bass, piano, But thats just what we have so far.

The Real Book he's referring to is a book titled "The Real Book" Its basically sheet music for all the jazz standards that people are expected to know for jamming and whatnot. Google it.

Sleepn_Giant
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Like people before me have said. Buy a Real Book. If you are still lost on what songs to play. I suggest listening to lot of the great jazz players of the past (Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, etc.) and find songs that you like that they play. They will probably be a standard that you can look up in a Real Book.

Or I could list over 100 songs that are well known jazz standards...But that may be just as hard to decide ;).

Gabuydachk
01-09-2008, 07:10 PM
well even tho the Real Book is what your gonna want to start becoming proficient and "well-read" in jazz, for a school jazz band (if I'm getting the right idea here, like it has a conductor) you're going to have to have separate music for horns and piano because big band music demands a little more predetermination in the music although solos should still be improvised. learn some jazz standards that you get in the Real Book and ask your conductor/music teacher to see if he/she can make an order for the big band version with more in depth sheet music.

Nick_
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
get your teacher to order some big band charts

arranging is very difficult, if rewarding.

Sleepn_Giant
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, depending on how big the band is, Big band charts might be a bit of an over kill. But making arrangements of songs would be very good. Like Nick said, it is difficult, but rewarding.