Am I the only person that doesn't like Piper At the Gates of Dawn?

PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only person that doesn't like Piper At the Gates of Dawn?

trey-col89
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I honestly feel like I'm the only person that really just doesn't enjoy listening to it. I don't really think any of the songs are that great. I mean, they are alright I guess, Lucifer Sam, Flaming, Bike, Scarecrow are all okay, but I can't stand others like Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive. Personally, I don't really like much of the Syd Barrett influenced Floyd, for me it really all starts with Atom Heart Mother. They had a couple of good songs in 69 too, but I really think Atom Heart Mother is where Floyd really becomes a great band, studio wise.

rock_guitargod
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
you have to take into consideration in them days there was nothing as wierd as there, now you have heard it all before, but back in the 60's that was real trippy stuff, n it takes a genius to right something different and make it work.

i agree in a sense, im much more of a gilmour fan but i can respedct what barrett done for the band and music.

trey-col89
01-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, live is a different story, they were probably the most original live act of the day back in 66 or 67 and were definitely a trip to see (especially if you were on acid), but I'm just talking specifically about listening to Piper, I just can't do it, I don't really find any joy in listening to it.

Donka
01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Don't forget, if it wasn't for Barrett, there would be no Gilmour... The early floyd years kept on inspiring the band and in every album you can hear musical references to the early days. If you want to fully understand the latter pink floyd albums, you have to know their early music.
But now that I think about it, piper is my least played floyd album. Guitarwise, the later pink floyd period is much more interesting.

Aplanken
01-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't really like the barrett stuff either... i like ummagumma, but that's only when i'm completely freakin' high.... :P

Snipergoat UK
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Piper is great. Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive are 2 of my favourite tracks on that album.

BrainDamage
01-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Bring it to the Floyd thread.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of Piper, but I love Astronomy Domine.

***CLOSED***

:)