Jefferson airplane

PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson airplane

rosamamosa
01-15-2008, 01:02 AM
they were one of the most influencial bands of the san fran scene in 67, but now theyre barely known. whats your favorite song? opinions in general?
(i choose to ignore the work of the later jefferson starship, seeing as we built this city is one of the worst songs ever)(although i loved blows against the empire)

radio_schizo
01-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah they were pretty cool, though Grace slick is kinda annoying. Jorma is just a legend of guitar - so under rated. Marty Balin also had such a fine soulful voice.

therussian
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Grace Slick annoying? How? Marty Balin has a great voice and all, but when Grace Slick sang the songs kind of jump out at you.

rosamamosa
01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Grace slick got annoying during starship, mostly because of the songs she chose to sing.

perry589
01-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Only got Surrealistic Pillow, but it's one of the best albums i have got. I don't really know what album to get next. Any suggestions??

rosamamosa
01-15-2008, 08:16 PM
early flight is good, it's an album of songs they produced early in their career, but never released until recently.
crown of creation is good too.

therussian
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Grace slick got annoying during starship, mostly because of the songs she chose to sing.
Well, I was smart enough to never listen to Starship, so I wouldn't know :D

rosamamosa
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Well, I was smart enough to never listen to Starship, so I wouldn't know :D

you should invest in blows against the empire
after that, pretend they dont exist
its a disgrace to airplane

metalfan#3
01-15-2008, 08:21 PM
I was just going to start this thread the other day!

I love My Best Friend and Plastic Fantastic Lover. Embryonic Journey is an amazing guitar track.

Surrealistic Pillow is just too good.

perry589
01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
early flight is good, it's an album of songs they produced early in their career, but never released until recently.
crown of creation is good too.

Thanks :cheers:. Will try and get Early Flight, then Crown of Creation.

vintage x metal
01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
White Rabbit has always been one of my favorite songs of all times
And I adore Slick's voice

Highbinder
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Got a bunch of their albums. No ****ing tab books or onlines tabs available for the majority of the songs tho!

I absolutely love Embryonic Journey (tho I've not had the time to learn it.. yet!) and Last Wall of The Castle is an incredible song too.

BOC15
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I saw this woman on american idol who tried to do Grace Slick's "Somebody to love", and she just slaughtered it, it makes me dissapointed in some small way....

radio_schizo
01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Grace Slick annoying? How? Marty Balin has a great voice and all, but when Grace Slick sang the songs kind of jump out at you.
No her singing is okay...most of the time. It's just I hate the way she gets all the credit for the band. I mean she did contribute a lot to the band with classic songs like White Rabbit and Two Heads and she did give them a unique sound and image but still she doesn't deserve to over shadow the rest of them.

Anyone like Hot Tuna? Jorma and Jack are true legends.

Damascus
01-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Only got Surrealistic Pillow, but it's one of the best albums i have got. I don't really know what album to get next. Any suggestions??

Get Blows Against the Empire, get Sunfighter and get After Bathing At Baxters.

'After Bathing' is a good showcase of how Airplane could do progressive as well as folky/blusey psychedelia. 'Sunfighter' is a kind of hippie victory speech/epitaph. 'Blows Against the Empire' is post-oringial-Airplane sci-fi album mainly written by rhythm guitarist Kantner including a load of guest musicians (including the Dead's keyboardist).

'White Rabbit' is my favourite song - I love the bass rhythm, I love the intro solo, the vocals are soaringly trippy, the lyrics are drugged-out and weird, the way it builds and builds, breaks into rock, builds again and builds and builds to that explosion. Bloody love it.

Jefferson Airplane are - as far as I can see - are the most underappreciated band out there. You hear a lot about the Beatles, the Stones, the Dead, even less-well-known bands like the Doors, but there never seems to be buzz about the Airplane.

"She weeps time, starts unspoken, but when the gate swings there she'll be,
There she'll be: in green sun, on blue earth under warm running shower."

therussian
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
The best thing about "White Rabbit" is that Arabesque bass line. Coupled with the bolero-ish drums, it's so great

studer
01-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I lost respect for Grace Slick when she was quoted saying "Why do older musicians continue to play?? They just look stupid doing it!!" Or something along those lines!!! I mean c'mon....music is music!! They are still living their dreams just cause you sang "We built this city" doesn't mean you have to jab the old rockers!!! B**ch :no:

Rockabilly_Cat
01-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Somebody to love is just amazing, they were great at woodstock. I've never tripped and probably never will, but if i do, lol listen to White Rabbit :P

radio_schizo
01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
The best thing about "White Rabbit" is that Arabesque bass line. Coupled with the bolero-ish drums, it's so great
Yeah Jack Cassady is a bass mofo.

Damascus
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
just cause you sang "We built this city" doesn't mean you have to jab the old rockers!!! B**ch

Jefferson Airplane are one of a half-handful of bands with a back catalouge strong enough to justify continued respect even after a train-wreck sell-out cheese-fest like "We Built This City".

I've never tripped and probably never will, but if i do, lol listen to White Rabbit :P

I advise doing this action in the strongest possible terms.

neptune1988
01-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Does JA have any songs that feature a phaser or flanger?

if so, which ones?

What did they use for reverb a spring unit or like a Fender '65 Twin?

FreeManson15
01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Never been able to get really into them...I really love Alexander "Skip" Spence though.