Seasick steve anyone?

PDA

View Full Version : Seasick steve anyone?

tomathy
01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
does anyone like seasick steve? am i the only one? :confused:

monkey_dancer
01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
I quite like him.

willy_99
01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
seasick steve is awesome.

zapatista89
01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
hes pretty sweet

3 strings ftw

ze monsta
01-15-2008, 02:24 PM
He's been around for a while.
He's pretty good. Though it's a bit of a gimmick.

Fezz
01-15-2008, 02:26 PM
wheeeey seasick steeeve
his albums pretty cool
and i saw him at reading, such a cool guy he had a bunch of indie ****s chanting his name and clapping and whistling and all

j_hunter_hkr
01-16-2008, 10:16 AM
I saw him at Leeds Cockpit in November. Great performer and a really nice guy too, more than willing to talk to his fans.

hendrixfanatic
01-16-2008, 10:31 AM
He's great, I'd love to see him live

opivy21
01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
He's been around for a while.
He's pretty good. Though it's a bit of a gimmick.
Gimmick how?

TheDev01dOne
01-17-2008, 01:38 AM
okay who is he? Links someone?

ze monsta
01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Gimmick how?
The whole redneck image :o . Isn't it obvious? He's still pretty good, but I reckon he's kinda taken advantage of it all.

okay who is he? Links someone?
He's been on Jool Holland a few times.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pNoPNC3ebYQ&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kBJQOX_V4o8&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9MOalhXaiI&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMf-em-56Mc&feature=related

opivy21
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
The whole redneck image :o . Isn't it obvious? He's still pretty good, but I reckon he's kinda taken advantage of it all.
Well, it's not like he's pretending to be a redneck. The guy was an actual hobo for part of his life. If looking like a redneck is an advantage in Europe, then so be it, but I don't know many popular rednecks, and there's plenty around here.

ze monsta
01-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Well, it's not like he's pretending to be a redneck. The guy was an actual hobo for part of his life. If looking like a redneck is an advantage in Europe, then so be it, but I don't know many popular rednecks, and there's plenty around here.

I didn't say it was an advantage. I said he's taken advantage of it.

SuburbanCowboy
01-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I didn't say it was an advantage. I said he's taken advantage of it.

And if he wore a three-piece suit and played a shiny, new guitar then people would call him a sell-out.

And exactly how is he taking advantage of anything... by simply doing what he's always done?

ze monsta
01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
And if he wore a three-piece suit and played a shiny, new guitar then people would call him a sell-out.

And exactly how is he taking advantage of anything... by simply doing what he's always done?

I reckon that he's taken advantage, or people have taken advantage of him.
Made it seem like novelty music. I see that he might not have, but others have taken advantage of his situation/life.

SuburbanCowboy
01-17-2008, 04:07 PM
I reckon that he's taken advantage, or people have taken advantage of him.
Made it seem like novelty music. I see that he might not have, but others have taken advantage of his situation/life.

I'd like to know how you'd market a homeless-looking man, with a busted 3-string guitar, and a wooden box for a drum pad, without making it seem like a novelty? (its 2008, not 1946) :haha

The important thing is that he's playing the blues and if he can turn people on to the genre, then I see it as a positive thing. :cheers:

ze monsta
01-19-2008, 06:19 AM
I'd like to know how you'd market a homeless-looking man, with a busted 3-string guitar, and a wooden box for a drum pad, without making it seem like a novelty? (its 2008, not 1946) :haha

The important thing is that he's playing the blues and if he can turn people on to the genre, then I see it as a positive thing. :cheers:

Firstly, the music 'industry' have marketed him like a novelty, whilst some people respect what he's doing; the media has a field day about some dude dressed like a redneck, playing guitar. I'm pretty sure he isn't the first to do so. I don't like the fact that people make it seem like a completely new, novel thing.

But I agree, if people will listen to it, and enjoy it there is no problem; it is music, people can do what they like.

red157
02-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Ignoring the above discussion, yes I love Seasick Steve. Great to think he's around playing music today.

Beakwithteeth
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Just found out abut him from ze monstas links, seems quite awesome.

imgooley
02-10-2008, 04:52 PM
i dont care if he's a novelty. he can play the blues well.

Naivety Play
02-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Steve is awesome, wasn't aware he was seen as a gimmick at all. When he played on Jools the last few times he was certainly appreciated for his musicality, not his image.

Would love to see him anyway.