Tripout Songs

PDA

View Full Version : Tripout Songs

Angry-Mares
01-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Hi there, I have a pretty good collection of tripout songs (dope not LSD) and I'm a huge classic rock fan so...

Suggest me some good classic rock tripout songs, and maybe some experiences you had with them :)

Thanks! Mares

Hendrix_fan_14
01-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd
that was pretty crazy..

Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix Experience..

MAYNARD
01-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Prophet's Song/Queen- this makes sense when you start learnin the words to the middle vocal section

Dogs/Pink Floyd-doesnt need much of an explanation

Red(album)/King Crimson- no need to press anything but play

Should point out, the higher the volume the better for stoned listenin.

Ganjzilla
01-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Great Gig in the Sky by Pink Floyd, I love this song because it leaves me wondering what its supposed to be about. I think it might be about death but I'm not sure. And sometimes it sounds like an arguement when the lady starts singing.

Damascus
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Prophet's Song/Queen- this makes sense when you start learnin the words to the middle vocal section

Seconded. Most underrated Queen song.

White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane (builds and builds and builds, hypnotic rhythm)
The End - The Doors (epic)
Venus In Furs - The Velvet Underground (like an S&M temple populated by Greek Gods)
Riders on the Storm/End of the Night/L'America/When The Music's Over - The Doors
Embryotic Journey - Jefferson Airplane (just one guitar...)
A Day In The Life - Beatles (that crazy building ochestra)
Dark Star - Grateful Dead (20 minutes of peaks, troughs, guitar solos, wispy vocals)
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (just listen all the way through)
Voodoo Child (any version) - Hendrix (jams, wah, trippy vocals)
Third Stone From The Sun - Hendrix (just...odd)
White Room - Cream (early Clapton wah, poetry lyrics)

Maybe some classical - "Moonlight Sonata" by Beethoven or Bach's "Toccata". Possibly something by Beefheart if you fancy really paying attention (or Zappa, similarly). The Gorillaz and Franz Ferdinand are possibly the best modern/mainstreamy bands to listen to stoned - of course some Radiohead wouldn't go amiss. Oh, definitely "The Highwayman" by the Highwaymen (Cash, Nelson, Kristofferson and...someone else) - it's brilliant, like Trip-Country. Great lyrics. Deep. Satriani's "Oriental Melody" is quite a trippy song, too. Maybe "Carvel" by Frusciante, if only for the 'squealch' intro and the big choral crash when it (the intro) ends.

Uhh..."Govinda" by Kula Shaker is awesome (you might recognise it from some mid-90's car advert if you don't already know it), as is "Sleeping Jiva" from the same album - K. The Mama and Papa's version of "Puff the magic dragon" is great for laughs, as would be the Ukulele Ochestra's version of "The Good The Bad & The Ugly":

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gp7B8WC4Q

If you're going for Kula Shaker, may as way go the whole indian hog and try Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, or Ravi Shanker. Or even the African Sanctus album for some some of weird tribal/latin mash-up. "Love, Reign O'er Me" by the Who or "Schism" by Tool would also be good.

rojomeansred
01-18-2008, 12:46 PM
I'd say the best are voodoo child, machine gun, riders on the storm, when the musics over,soft parade,and the end.

And for modern check out another dimension by the Liquid Tension Experiment. It changes so many times it's crazy. And of course the Flaming Lips!

Angry-Mares
01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Man, thank you so much everyone. I'm really glad I didn't ask this in the pit now :)

ECwomantoneman
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Or just go and buy Electric Ladyland

Don't do drugs myself, but listening to that album it does feel like it at times :haha

BOC15
01-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Ina-godda-da-vida - Iron Butterfly ... damn straight.