Quick blues strat question guys, cant decide

PDA

View Full Version : Quick blues strat question guys, cant decide

d_byrne23
01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I picked up a nice looking midnight wine standard strat today, but also noticed there was a fender special edition lite ash strat for only 200 more, im into a lot of texas blues so srv type tones, will the lite ash be a major step up, like is it worth it? I cant decide and I just want a worthy strat that will last me a while without making upgrades, heres link and thanks fellow bluesmen :cheers:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo?sku=511337

Blind In 1 Ear
01-19-2008, 01:29 AM
if im not mistaken, SRV used strats with adler bodies. so id say if you want to get a sound close to that, get a strat with an adler body and not lite ash. i think ash is suposed to have a brighter sound to it.

Blurry 505
01-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Make of the body wont determine a whole tone. I use a Fender Nashville Tele (one with the tex-mex pickups, strat one sandwiched by 2 tele ones) through a digitech hot rod, and a mini cube and I can get a very good SRV tone. Sounds a little different from him cause its a tele obviously.

My advice: go for somethin with an already good setup for pickups and such. Get the action lowered a tiny bit, put on a set of .11+ strings and you should get a very nice tone afte r alot of practice with the new strings.

Hope that helps a little

ze monsta
01-19-2008, 06:00 AM
The strat posted in the TS link is disgusting imo.
The wood isn't gonna make too much of a difference.

d_byrne23
01-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Im just gunna stick with the standard and upgrade the pups, the main thing that attracted me to the korean lite ash, was the neck, it says C shape neck but the one i played in store deifnately was a < shaped neck, I can always get one of warmoth and throw it on after, thanks for the advice and yeah it wasnt the prittiest looking strat either lol, thanks for the advice...

mods can close the thread now or delete it, thanks

ze monsta
01-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Im just gunna stick with the standard and upgrade the pups, the main thing that attracted me to the korean lite ash, was the neck, it says C shape neck but the one i played in store deifnately was a < shaped neck, I can always get one of warmoth and throw it on after, thanks for the advice and yeah it wasnt the prittiest looking strat either lol, thanks for the advice...

mods can close the thread now or delete it, thanks

I don't think I've ever seen a mod in the blues and jazz forums. :confused:
And even threads that get reported often don't get closed.

gopherthegreat
01-19-2008, 04:31 PM
ive seen them. they dont post much, i dont think, though.

Dimebag22
01-19-2008, 08:00 PM
:haha :haha Yeah, Blues and Jazz Mods, mod like 10 other forums, and this one, being the 'dead' forum, doesn't get much attention by the mods. :p:

ze monsta
01-20-2008, 07:28 AM
:haha :haha Yeah, Blues and Jazz Mods, mod like 10 other forums, and this one, being the 'dead' forum, doesn't get much attention by the mods. :p:
I realised. I suppose it doesn't need that much attention anyway. Nothing ever happens anyway. :p:
:peace:

Axegrinder#9
01-21-2008, 04:48 AM
The strat posted in the TS link is disgusting imo.
The wood isn't gonna make too much of a difference.

what? seriously? I've never heard someone not like natural wood finishes.
anyway to the threadstarter, I've heard good things about that particular strat, and a year or so ago I was actually looking to invest in buying that (but later I saved up for an american deluxe!)

but in any case it's a good guitar, I've played it, and it gives a good vibe. and i dunno what people are saying about the body not affecting the tone. it definitely has a brighter sound, and strats have pretty bright sounds to begin with (the alder bodies) - but to give you a couple of alternatives in about the same price range, consider the Mexican made Player's strat which has custom shop mods: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

d_byrne23
01-21-2008, 02:19 PM
i just bought a standard strat, im not a fan of noiseless pickups, thats what kept me away from the deluxe, its not a money issue, noiseless pickups are useless to me, i like the raw strat tone and im gunna get some gfs pickups sometime soon for it, noiseless just isnt my thing, im good muting with both of my hands and getting better..thanks guys

Axegrinder#9
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
well whether you're a fan of the noiseless pups or not, you owe it to yourself to check them out. Bill Lawrence knows what he's doing. and I hear a lotta crap being thrown around about noiseless pups, and all I have to say is that if people play through the SamariumCobaltNoiseless pups and complain about lack of a real strat vibe and what not they're clearly listening with their ass and not there ears.

I've played through a $200 locally made semi-hollowbody and gotten wonderful jazz tones outta it. Equipment will take you only so far, the tone and vibe comes from your touch. that's the reason why if you were to play through SRV or Eric Johnson's rig, it'd sound like you playing thru their rig, and vice versa.

d_byrne23
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
ive been playing for about 7 years now man, im not new to the whole pickup scene, and I am a regular at my local music store, Ive never had big expensive rigs minus when I was younger and in a metal band, since I've switched over to blues..as for pickups, everyone has a preference, ive played noiseless, I was a big noiseless fan thats why I used an emg 89/85 combo in my jackson, for blues I like dirty texas tones, i find noiseless cleans my tone up a bit to much...tone is in your hands and obv Im aware of that, but noiseless just isnt what I look for anymore, thanks

Blind In 1 Ear
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
ive been playing for about 7 years now man, im not new to the whole pickup scene, and I am a regular at my local music store, Ive never had big expensive rigs minus when I was younger and in a metal band, since I've switched over to blues..as for pickups, everyone has a preference, ive played noiseless, I was a big noiseless fan thats why I used an emg 89/85 combo in my jackson, for blues I like dirty texas tones, i find noiseless cleans my tone up a bit to much...tone is in your hands and obv Im aware of that, but noiseless just isnt what I look for anymore, thanks

yea ive played strats with noisless pickups and i like the regular ones better. im not really sure why, i just thought it sounded better. the one i played with regular pickups was a MIM standard too. the noiseless ones were in a deluxe i think.

Jimmy94
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
wood makes a huge difference in tone...

I love my noiseless pickups, without them there's so much hum with strats I could only play positions 2 and 4

Axegrinder#9
01-22-2008, 04:44 AM
I was a big noiseless fan thats why I used an emg 89/85 combo in my jackson

well those are active pups man, and honestly I think that particular EMG set isn't s'posed to be used for playing texas blues.
I will still say try out the Samarium Cobalt noiseless pups, and check 'em out at least, I mean it's not a bad deal if you can do the texas blues with while avoiding unnecessary hum now is it? of course if you want that, then they're obviously not for you. but very versatile pups nonetheless, I wouldn't be pulling off any jazz fusion on the strat if I didn't have em!

modernp
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
What is strat hum? Great cables. good shielding,Decent pickups. Never had it guess i'm lucky.

d_byrne23
01-22-2008, 11:03 PM
well those are active pups man, and honestly I think that particular EMG set isn't s'posed to be used for playing texas blues.
I will still say try out the Samarium Cobalt noiseless pups, and check 'em out at least, I mean it's not a bad deal if you can do the texas blues with while avoiding unnecessary hum now is it? of course if you want that, then they're obviously not for you. but very versatile pups nonetheless, I wouldn't be pulling off any jazz fusion on the strat if I didn't have em!

I didnt say I used EMGs for blues, i just said I preferred non-noiseless pups for my strat, pickups are obv just a matter of ones opinion thats all obv..thanks

TNfootballfan62
01-27-2008, 12:56 AM
If you have $200 to spend on pickups, i really suggest looking at some handwound ones by someone like Lindy Fralin. For the SRV feel, look at his Vintage Hots. I really would love a set of those.