John Mayer-esque artists

PDA

View Full Version : John Mayer-esque artists

crackattack
01-21-2008, 03:01 AM
what are some artists that have the same sort of sound as john mayer, and are also fairly modern? i love the vocals and guitar blend that mayer has

Musian
01-21-2008, 03:17 AM
I'm not too familiar with Mayer's music, but I recommend Jack Johnson, especially his album On and On. Hope it helps.

soul_power
01-21-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm not too familiar with Mayer's music, but I recommend Jack Johnson, especially his album On and On. Hope it helps.
Yeah I was going to recommend JJ.

TheDev01dOne
01-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Not as poppy but check out The John Butler Trio, great guitar player and singer and songwriter.

ze monsta
01-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Clapton, Hendrix, SRV.

Ok not modern, but judging by your profile, you need to check em out more.

bradulator
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Jon Bonomassa or something...google that and it'll change it for you probably, but he plays similar to Mayer.

gopherthegreat
01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Clapton, Hendrix, SRV.

Ok not modern, but judging by your profile, you need to check em out more.
i wouldnt compare hendrix or SRV to mayers playing style........

johnny_tapia
01-22-2008, 06:48 AM
:confused:

Dimebag22
01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Actually, Mayer was greatly influenced by both Hendrix and SRV. When I say greatly influenced, I mean those were to two main guys, also including Clapton, that Mayer almost cloned in his early days. Listen to Any Given Thursday or As/Is, those albums had some sick blues in it, and you can really tell the influence to SRV and Hendrix. Even on Try! he has Hendrix covers, Continuum has Hendrix covers, Any Given Thursday has SRV covers, some of his bootlegs have SRV and Hendrix covers. So I would defiantly compare Mayer to Hendrix and SRV. In fact, those would be the first two people who I would compare him to.

ze monsta
01-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Actually, Mayer was greatly influenced by both Hendrix and SRV. When I say greatly influenced, I mean those were to two main guys, also including Clapton, that Mayer almost cloned in his early days. Listen to Any Given Thursday or As/Is, those albums had some sick blues in it, and you can really tell the influence to SRV and Hendrix. Even on Try! he has Hendrix covers, Continuum has Hendrix covers, Any Given Thursday has SRV covers, some of his bootlegs have SRV and Hendrix covers. So I would defiantly compare Mayer to Hendrix and SRV. In fact, those would be the first two people who I would compare him to.

:cheers:

The influence is pretty obvious.

TUMFP
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Judging by your quote, I do not think you are familiar with his new music. The reason he is found in Blues & Jazz. I highly recommend:

Continuum
Try!

or concerts such as:

Crossroads 07
Austin City Limits 12/15/07

For specific songs:
"Try!"
"Slow Dancing in a Burning Room"
"Bold as Love"
"Gravity"
"Belief"
"I Don't Need No Doctor"

Just to name a few.

APL88
01-23-2008, 10:24 AM
His sound has changed quite a lot since the first album. So which album are you talking about?

FendermanOC
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't think you should be looking at modern music. Your profile says you don't like classic rock because "the recording quality isn't good". Im not sure what that even means, seeing as you have willie nelson as a favorite artist and he is older than most classic rockers. Take a look at SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Buddy Guy, T-Bone Walker, blah blah blah. More modern players are Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Bernard Allison, Walter Trout, etc.

Dimebag22
01-24-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't think you should be looking at modern music. Your profile says you don't like classic rock because "the recording quality isn't good". Im not sure what that even means, seeing as you have willie nelson as a favorite artist and he is older than most classic rockers. Take a look at SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Buddy Guy, T-Bone Walker, blah blah blah. More modern players are Derek Trucks, Doyle Bramhall II, Bernard Allison, Walter Trout, etc.
I lol'd when I read that :haha