In slash's autobiography........

PDA

View Full Version : In slash's autobiography........

Gordon guitar
01-21-2008, 10:38 AM
..........he claims that gliby clarke learnt 60 songs in 2 weeks

is that possible?

Capua47
01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
anything is possible... if you beleiiviviveeeeee.

Merten
01-21-2008, 10:46 AM
well it is his job so... but it is execurated. or however to spell that. they know from a lot of songs that they won't play em, so he didn't have to learn those.

Archetype00
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
its possible. guns n roses songs arent hard. especially the rhythm section, which is what gilby was apart of. ****. I could learn 60 guns n roses songs in 2 weeks, assuming of course that they would be izzy's parts. take a look back, sure. izzy writes everything, slash just plays it. its a wonder why izzy's lines arent harder considering he's a better guitarist imho.

Peter Hayes
01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
..........he claims that gliby clarke learnt 60 songs in 2 weeks

is that possible?

Don't know -- it is possible if you could ad-lib a bit, doesn't dope and didn't need much sleep. The name you wrote would actually make a good nickname!

Cptbeefheart
01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
*reported*

G'nR thread in 80's rock forum...

atc228
01-21-2008, 11:10 AM
he didn't have to learn the solos, only the main riffs. and as someone already mentioned, he only had to learn the important songs, he didn't have to learn the ones they wouldn't play. the riffs for most, if not all, of guns songs are relatively easy, especially when you are getting paid that much to do it...

Also, gilby is a solid guitarist anyway, he had a firm grip on guitar and music by that point anyway...

also, i doubt it was exactly 60 songs, it could be an exaggeration. regardless, he learned a lot of songs and fast on his own merit

Thrall
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, he probably didn't have much of a job. He had nothing else to do all day. I'm sure it's not impossible.

Shaned
01-21-2008, 11:13 AM
i haven't even gotten to read the book yet but yeah, if that's his proffession then he really would have no other choice

Aziraphale
01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
It's very much possible, as a lot of people said his parts weren't that hard and he had the original band to show it to him, plus he'd probably heard a lot of the songs before otherwise he wouldn't audition for the band.

Not a big fan of Glibby since the Supernova shows though, all he did was pretty much complain about stuff and he's never really stricken me as an exceptional guitar player either.

hdawg
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
hear hear

trey-col89
01-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Guns N Roses was playing so infrequently anyway in the early 90s due to Axl's bitching and whining, his job probably wasn't so tough. Half the GNR shows ended after 25 minutes because Axl was pissed at something. And plus, they probably didn't change their setlist much from show to show.

trey-col89
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
*reported*

G'nR thread in 80's rock forum...
Dude, who really gives a shit? What ever this guy is saying or asking will probably get lost in a thread so big anyway... plus, its just a message board, who really cares? He asked a question, and people are answering it in a self contained, respectable manner, I see no problem here.

...oh shit I just double posted, that might be grounds for banning :p:

Peter Hayes
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
It's very much possible, as a lot of people said his parts weren't that hard and he had the original band to show it to him, plus he'd probably heard a lot of the songs before otherwise he wouldn't audition for the band.

Not a big fan of Glibby since the Supernova shows though, all he did was pretty much complain about stuff and he's never really stricken me as an exceptional guitar player either.

Very average axeman -- I once heard Stuart Adamson play when he was virtually in his school uniform and he was three times better than G ever will be. God doesn't sprinkle fairydust over many...

tlohrmann13
01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
but it is execurated. or however to spell that.
it's exaggerated

Gordon guitar
01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Dude, who really gives a shit? What ever this guy is saying or asking will probably get lost in a thread so big anyway... plus, its just a message board, who really cares? He asked a question, and people are answering it in a self contained, respectable manner, I see no problem here.

...oh shit I just double posted, that might be grounds for banning :p:

Thanks m8

hendo123456789
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Guns N Roses was playing so infrequently anyway in the early 90s due to Axl's bitching and whining, his job probably wasn't so tough. Half the GNR shows ended after 25 minutes because Axl was pissed at something. And plus, they probably didn't change their setlist much from show to show.

Go to gnrontour.com and you will see that the setlist was almost never identical. He did have to learn nearly every song because nearly every song was played on the UYI tour. Plus i think you need to rethink your claim that a lot of gnr shows ended early. Very few actually. And as for playing so infrequently, they were on tour for over two years.

jimRH7
01-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, if you think about it, it's only just more than two songs a day, so if your not doing anything else i reckon it wouldn't be that hard...