Soul

PDA

View Full Version : Soul

GraveSs
01-21-2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone a fan of Soul music? If so what are some of your favorite soul vocalist/bands.

If this needs to be moved to "others" just say so and i'll delete this thread.

opivy21
01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I like soul a lot, though that's a pretty broad label. I'm particularly of fan of 60s stuff like Otis Redding and whatnot.

meh!
01-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Yup, I love it.

Otis Redding is very, good.
Sam and Dave (though they don't have very many good songs)
Aretha

Also, Joss Stone's first album was very good. Really good bad, and she is a fantasically talented soul singer.

Off her second album there's only about 3 songs I'ld listen to. It's what happens when she starts writing her own songs :p

Blurry 505
01-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes, Joss Stone "The Soul Sessions" is unbelievable. Highly recommend it. In fact I was thinking about doing that for the Album of the Month. Amazing pipes. Hey and shes kinda hot too! Another plus of course

hendrixfanatic
01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I love mostly sixties/seventies soul, like James Brown, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, The Supremes, Eddie Floyd, Stevie Wonder and Aretha Franklin. My favourite white soul singer is Joe Cocker.

matt92l
01-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Donny Hathaway is excellent and ofcourse who could forget Stevie Wonder?

GraveSs
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm into alot of blue-eyed soul. some of hall & oates, michael mcdonald, etc. not racits or anything.

Carswell98
01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Bill Withers & Marvin Gaye=Awesome

gopherthegreat
01-22-2008, 08:49 PM
the temptations are great

sly and the family stone are pretty good, too.

matt92l
01-23-2008, 12:07 PM
check this video out of King Curtis, it just amazed me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHcWu-1iUg

Gabuydachk
01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
other than the great artists already posted on this thread, check out Curtis Mayfield.

opivy21
01-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Percy Mayfield is great. For those that don't know, he eventually became a prominent songwriter for Ray Charles (he wrote Hit the Road Jack). His own stuff is really good too. It's very bluesy.

edit: ^Haha, oops! You said Curtis. Well, I still recommend Percy just the same.

hendrixfanatic
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Just to let you guys know: I created a group dedicated to Soul, Funk and Rhythm & Blues!Feel free to join:

Sweet soul music (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/sweetsoulmusic/)

slidething31
02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
c mon yall, i cant beleive no ones mentioned Wilson Pickett. Youve gotta listen to his version of Hey Jude.

imgooley
02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Al Green, Marvin, Sly and the Family Stone, Earth Wind and Fire.... So many good acts. Soul is what got me interested in music in the first place

Jimmy94
02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
marvin gaye is where it's at, what's going on is a fantastic album

crazynickman
02-23-2008, 12:39 AM
I hate to sound like I'm repeating people, but Otis Redding is definitely my favorite, far and away. Wilson Pickett is a distant second. I guess I'm a fan of that kind of Southern "deep" soul. Redding's "Change Is Gonna Come" are amazing, as are his originals; my favorites would probably be "Sitting On the Dock Of the Bay" (obviously) and "I've Been Loving You Too Long." He was electrifying at Monterey.

c mon yall, i cant beleive no ones mentioned Wilson Pickett. Youve gotta listen to his version of Hey Jude.
Wilson Pickett...Duane Allman...and a Beatles song. It's an amazing rendition.

Edit- Can anyone tell me who did "Ain't No Sunshine"? I know originally Bill Withers did it, but I downloaded a different version that said Otis Redding did it. I checked the dates, and Otis was dead by the time Withers' original came out. Any hints as to who it might be? Keep in mind I thought it was Redding for the past week.

imgooley
02-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Edit- Can anyone tell me who did "Ain't No Sunshine"? I know originally Bill Withers did it, but I downloaded a different version that said Otis Redding did it. I checked the dates, and Otis was dead by the time Withers' original came out. Any hints as to who it might be? Keep in mind I thought it was Redding for the past week.
Definitely a withers tune. recorded in 1971

ze monsta
02-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Any fans of Eddie Floyd?
I was lucky enough to see him play with Albert Lee, and Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings!

crazynickman
02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Definitely a withers tune. recorded in 1971
I know he wrote it, but it's not the original; I have the original and there's a distinct difference. And I know there's been like 500 covers of it, but I can't figure out who it is. I know it's not Buddy Guy, Freddie King, Al Green, or Tracy Chapman (sp).

psychodelia
02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
As mentioned above, Wilson Pickett (in particular his cover of Hey Jude) is great.

imgooley
02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I know he wrote it, but it's not the original; I have the original and there's a distinct difference. And I know there's been like 500 covers of it, but I can't figure out who it is. I know it's not Buddy Guy, Freddie King, Al Green, or Tracy Chapman (sp).
Dude he wrote the original in 1971 and recorded it the same year. The album is called Just as I am. Where did you get it? If I heard it I could probably place it.

crazynickman
02-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Dude he wrote the original in 1971 and recorded it the same year. The album is called Just as I am.
DUDE I know, but I have the original and I know what it sounds like. I downloaded a cover, I know it's a cover, but I don't know who did it. The file was called "Otis Redding - Ain't No Sunshine" and it sounded somewhat like Otis Redding but not entirely. So I don't know who did it.

imgooley
02-23-2008, 04:58 PM
DUDE I know, but I have the original and I know what it sounds like. I downloaded a cover, I know it's a cover, but I don't know who did it. The file was called "Otis Redding - Ain't No Sunshine" and it sounded somewhat like Otis Redding but not entirely. So I don't know who did it.
It's Definitely not Otis. It sounds a little like Ben Harper, But I doubt that it is... The version that i got was low quality anyway.

crazynickman
02-23-2008, 05:06 PM
It's Definitely not Otis. It sounds a little like Ben Harper, But I doubt that it is... The version that i got was low quality anyway.
Yeah I checked Ben Harper but apparently he's a newer guy (born in like 1969) and this version definitely sounds like it's from the 70s.

opivy21
02-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Any fans of Eddie Floyd?
I was lucky enough to see him play with Albert Lee, and Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings!
Yes! Knock On Wood and Big Bird are classics.

meh!
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
It's great listening to Midnight Hour and then Knock on Wood...cause the intro's exactly the same, just backwards :p:

I'm told that's what they did (cause obviously it was the same guys playing all these songs, The Dunn, Cooper) and they just recorded them like one after another and just, "let's just do that one we did yesterday, backwards".

opivy21
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Haha, I've never realized that.

crazynickman
02-24-2008, 02:19 PM
It's great listening to Midnight Hour and then Knock on Wood...cause the intro's exactly the same, just backwards :p:

I'm told that's what they did (cause obviously it was the same guys playing all these songs, The Dunn, Cooper) and they just recorded them like one after another and just, "let's just do that one we did yesterday, backwards".
I'm going to have to check that out, sounds crazy.

SomeEvilDude
02-25-2008, 05:36 AM
No love so far for Nina Simone?

She's an astonishingly good soul singer, one of about two or three singers who can always send a chill down my spine.

djrue211
02-26-2008, 01:43 PM
me and a few friends just started a funk/jazz/soul band...its gonna be kickin. a few of my favorites are Tower of Power, or Down to the Bone.

Axegrinder#9
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Curtis Mayfield, Melvin Sparks & Grant Green ftw.

PS: what's people's take on neo-soul (hip-hop + soul)? I decided to venture out and accquire a copy of D'Angelo's "Voodoo". Now from what I know, D'Angelo is a pretty commercial artist, and that particular album is ultimately a fairly commercial venture - but saying that, it definitely had a distinctive touch to it, which set it apart from the other **** - from the fairly witty lyrics to the definite jazz undertones in the songs themselves...

It may not be your cuppa tea, but if you wanna go beyond the "if it is on TV and has someone rapping - it must suck" perspective try checking out this album. it's kinda neat.

meh!
02-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Curtis Mayfield, Melvin Sparks & Grant Green ftw.

PS: what's people's take on neo-soul (hip-hop + soul)? I decided to venture out and accquire a copy of D'Angelo's "Voodoo". Now from what I know, D'Angelo is a pretty commercial artist, and that particular album is ultimately a fairly commercial venture - but saying that, it definitely had a distinctive touch to it, which set it apart from the other **** - from the fairly witty lyrics to the definite jazz undertones in the songs themselves...

It may not be your cuppa tea, but if you wanna go beyond the "if it is on TV and has someone rapping - it must suck" perspective try checking out this album. it's kinda neat.

Reccomend some songs? Don't know the guy.

imgooley
02-26-2008, 05:25 PM
D'angelo has a bunch of really REALLy good songs (like good love makin songs)
My favorite is Brown Sugar and You're My Lady are my two favorites. And he is not super commercial. He has a lot of musical integrity. I would call acts like Akon commercial neo soul.

pbiggie
01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
I realise this is a massive necro bump, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17LQRXXrWjY

This is a fairly new band from Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7zkssbsIY
they've been nominated for a grammy, btw.