Starting Jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Jazz

Zen5887
01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
Hey..

Im a 17 year old bassist in a smallish town in australia. Since I've played bass I've sort of allways been into jazz but havnt really played it a lot untill recently. Its got to a point where I want to do more then play alot on backtracks.. I want to find some other people to play with. There are a few problems..

I have no idea where to start. Do I buy a fake/real book and find other people? How do I find other people.. Where I live every muscian I know is into is into Hardcore and Punk and stuff.

To sum up I want to play Jazz but I cant find anyone to play with.

Thanks everyone
- Lachlan

Punk Poser
01-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Jazz is very difficult to learn by yourself. I would suggest getting a teacher who actually plays jazz to get you started, and if you like jazz enough, take you to higher level playing. You could try to use real books, but if you can't read or walk using chords, you won't really get anywhere. As far as playing goes, if you school has a music department, you should hit it up to see if they have a jazz band/lab/class/whatever. Last but not least listen to a shed load of jazz. I recommend some Paul Chambers (he plays on Kind of Blue which you should buy now) to get an idea of how to play a walking jazz bass line.

Zen5887
01-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Jazz is very difficult to learn by yourself. I would suggest getting a teacher who actually plays jazz to get you started, and if you like jazz enough, take you to higher level playing. You could try to use real books, but if you can't read or walk using chords, you won't really get anywhere. As far as playing goes, if you school has a music department, you should hit it up to see if they have a jazz band/lab/class/whatever. Last but not least listen to a shed load of jazz. I recommend some Paul Chambers (he plays on Kind of Blue which you should buy now) to get an idea of how to play a walking jazz bass line.

Yeah I can read chords to walk.. But there is room for improvment. I didnt even think of a Jazz teacher so I'll look into that and the school thing is a bit tricky cos I finished last year. My music teacher was a jazz drummer (we jammed a few times...It was rad) so I ask some of my younger friends to see if they can get a list of names.