We Sold Our Souls for Rock N' Roll- The Black Sabbath Thread

PDA

View Full Version : We Sold Our Souls for Rock N' Roll- The Black Sabbath Thread

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Ok guys I was looking and I noticed there was no thread like this. WHY NOT!! Ok well it don't matter cause now there is. These guys definently deserve this, just like they deserved to be in the Rock n' Roll hall of fame, but they were turned down like 500 times before they finally got it. Anyway we can talk about all things Sabbath here, like all those lead singers, even though Ozzy is the only one I really liked in the band. So go at it :devil:

Ozzy or Dio?

Master Shake
01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Sabbath with Ozzy and Sabbath Dio are two different bands and shouldnt even be compared, no wonder all it creates is arguments. Sabbath with Ozzy had a real nice dark dirty sound to it, where was that with Dio...? Dio is my favourite vocalist (I also think Ozzy sucks) but I way prefer Sabbath with Ozzy. They should have changed name when Ozzy left or at least keep the sound.

Regression
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
You have to have so much for what this bands done for metal. Without them metal wouldn't be what it is today. Tony Iommi is awesome! And yay, i get to see Ozzy play this year with Kiss, Alice Cooper, Poison, Whitesnake & Lordi =]

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
good point Dio is a better vocalist but Ozzy is just better with Sabbath and I believe they did change the name to Heaven and Hell didn't they?

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
this band basically created metal

Regression
01-22-2008, 11:27 AM
They changed their name to Heaven & Hell, but that was only for the recent tour, back when Dio first joined they still went under Black Sabbath.

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 11:29 AM
oh ok i was a little confused on that i thought they changed it in the mid 80's

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
don't you think it's a little weird Tony's fingertips got cut off the day before he was gonna be in Sabbath full time

Cptbeefheart
01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
^It ended up benefiting the band's sound though. Who knows if we would have ever heard the sludgy Master of Reality if Iommi hadn't detuned so his fingers wouldn't bleed.

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 12:46 PM
thats what I'm saying thats odd that it happened. He must have thought he wasnt supposed to play at the time but it made them switch from a blues band to possibly the first metal band

Thefallofman
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
In my opinion...
Sab with Ozzy > Sab with Dio
Sab with Dio > Ozzy solo

I saw Heaven and Hell last year, they ruled... bottom line.

Zappanator
01-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Sabbath has a great rhythm section.....adds to the awesome sound of them

wuzimu
01-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Ozzy or Dio?

so like i'm goin with ozzy all the way. his voice is so unique and it fits with the demeanor of the band. i mean listen to war pigs, he sounds awesome there and never say die.

wuzimu
01-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Ozzy or Dio?

so like i'm goin w/ ozzy. his voice is so unique, i mean listen to war pigs and never say die. sounds so awesome and it justifies the bands demeanor.

MusicalMinority
01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey, a little bit off topic... And probably a little n00bish.

But does anyone know if Tony Iommi (And Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Heaven and Hell) is Christian? I was looking through some Sabbath lyrics the other day, and I couldn't help seeing some definite Christian influences. And I guess I'm just blind or retarded, but I noticed today that Iommi wears a silver cross at all times and has crosses as inlays on his sig SG.

Thanks all.

Iluvpowerchords
01-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Dio was my favorite for awhile...

Then I bought "Master Of Reality"

**** yeah.

Cptbeefheart
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Hey, a little bit off topic... And probably a little n00bish.

But does anyone know if Tony Iommi (And Black Sabbath/Ozzy/Heaven and Hell) is Christian? I was looking through some Sabbath lyrics the other day, and I couldn't help seeing some definite Christian influences. And I guess I'm just blind or retarded, but I noticed today that Iommi wears a silver cross at all times and has crosses as inlays on his sig SG.

Thanks all.

After Forever is the only Sabbath song written by Iommi and it is heavily Christian. So I imagine he is probably Christian, though I don't know for sure.

Danne55
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Both Ozzy and Dio Sabbath is really good. So is it with the other singers in the 80's.
However it's difficult to compare the bands with all singer since every singer brought a bit new sound to that band.

Wonder how many times I've said that btw?

I am the Drake
02-03-2008, 11:58 PM
Does anybody think that the original Sabbath will ever get back together again? Because that would be pretty sweet. Hopefully it'll happen after Tony and Geezer are through with Heaven And Hell.

Supernaut2k
02-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Ozzy used to be the man, but now? forget it, trust me, its much better to have Dio in the fold, they're even producing new music.

i saw them live, and not once did i think, man i wish it was Ozzy up there, because Dio kicked ass, never put a note wrong, and actually knew all the words.

not to put a downer on the Ozzy era stuff, or Ozzy solo, but nowerdays, hes not what he used to be, you can hope for a new ozzy album all you want, but the facts are, hes not in the shape he used to be.

Thefallofman
02-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Ozzy used to be the man, but now? forget it, trust me, its much better to have Dio in the fold, they're even producing new music.

i saw them live, and not once did i think, man i wish it was Ozzy up there, because Dio kicked ass, never put a note wrong, and actually knew all the words.

not to put a downer on the Ozzy era stuff, or Ozzy solo, but nowerdays, hes not what he used to be, you can hope for a new ozzy album all you want, but the facts are, hes not in the shape he used to be.
I completely agree.

ewp805
02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Always been a huge fan of Sabbath, both the Dio and Ozzy years. Their S/T, Paranoid, and Master of Reality were amazing and incredibly influencial albums. Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules were great albums as well.

Dio and Heaven & Hell seem to be pretty awesome. It's really the best that Ozzy isn't touring with the old Sabbath line-up cause, as Supernaut2k said, he definately isnt what he used to be.

Shame they can't get Bill Ward drumming for Heaven & Hell though :(

Oh well, atleast they still got Iommi and Geezer :D

Supernaut2k
02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
yeah i think its best for the time being at least, the thing going on with Dio now is the best thing that has happened to sabbath in years.

i dont want to seem like im putting a downer on ozzy-sabbath as a whole, my favourite album will allways be volume 4, that album is an icon for me, and remains one that i almost listen to daily

Ethicdoom
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
come back to life! Anyways, on the Sabotage album, which I'm a big fan of, what tuning is Iommi in on that album? Thx much.

krymson
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
come back to life! Anyways, on the Sabotage album, which I'm a big fan of, what tuning is Iommi in on that album? Thx much.

C# Standard I'm pretty sure.

Ethicdoom
04-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks, didn't realize it was that low, wow.

Ignite_24
04-03-2008, 04:05 AM
How about top 3 favorite Sabbath songs? Mine would be:
1.The Wizard
2. Iron Man
3. Wasp/Behind the wall of sleep/Bassically/N.I.B. (I like the whole track)

darkstar2466
04-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Ozzy or Dio.
Ozzy or Dio.
Ozzy or Dio.
Ozzy or Dio.

*mindless chanting*

What about Tony Martin, people? The man who poured life into Sabbath during the 80s and 90s.

Thefallofman
04-03-2008, 07:06 AM
1.The Wizard
2. Iron Man

1. Children Of The Grave
2. Die Young
3. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath

Is_6_9?
04-03-2008, 07:21 AM
1.The Wizard
2. Iron Man

1. Black Sabbath
2. N.I.B.
3. Paranoid
(No particular order)

ewp805
04-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Ozzy or Dio.
What about Tony Martin, people? The man who poured life into Sabbath during the 80s and 90s.
Martin did some pretty good stuff with em. Headless Cross was a great album.

As for my 3 favorite songs:
1. Sweet Leaf
2. The Wizard
3. Mob Rules

Ethicdoom
04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Supernaut
Hole in the Sky
N.I.B.

Great stuff

imgooley
04-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Black Sabbath
War Pigs
Deathmask/Into the Void

smb
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
There is a Black Sabbath thread here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338903)

:cool: