the Real Book

PDA

View Full Version : the Real Book

Glen'sHeroicAct
01-25-2008, 05:40 AM
is it in standard notation, and is there a way i can get it in a different format if it is?
i know that getting more fluent in standard notation would be good for me, but i'm trying to progress with jazz, and getting standard notation in the mix right now would just put way too much on the table.

on a separate note, is standard notation a much used thing in jazz music? is it necessary to play with other jazz artists?

Dookie92
01-25-2008, 05:50 AM
I have the real book(for Eb and C) but I dont understand what you mean by standard notation but ill be willing to help.

Nick_
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Standard notation is used in jazz music. You won't find tablature, except in technique exercises specifically developed for guitarists (like Zucker's Sheets of Sound). To play jazz and communicate it's necessary.

RhoadsSRV8290
01-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Yea there is no real book in tab. The Real Book is a universal book for all instruments.

Yes it is essential to read music to play jazz. As the gentleman above me said, it is difficult to communicate otherwise.

Glen'sHeroicAct
01-26-2008, 12:49 AM
awww... is it still worth getting if i'm only halfway decent at reading sheet music? or would it just take me forever to figure one song out?

Resiliance
01-26-2008, 09:02 AM
awww... is it still worth getting if i'm only halfway decent at reading sheet music? or would it just take me forever to figure one song out?

Of course it's worth getting. Just start off with the easy ones... Or don't. Either way, you'll always have a use for it, be it now or in 20 years.