blues is emo?

PDA

View Full Version : blues is emo?

JimiGrohl
01-27-2008, 04:58 AM
I mean the lyrics in both are often about sorrow and broken hearts? I hate emo rock and I love the blues, but what's the difference really?

linus.d
01-27-2008, 05:07 AM
listen to the music, not the lyrics and i think you'll get a grip of the difference quite fast... ;)

GreenDayChris
01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Emo = emotional hardcore. Started in the 80's or late 70's.
Blues started in what, the 30s maybe?

What you said is like saying metal, pop-punk, rock, indie, blues and emo are the same cos they all have lyrics about love.

kdog215
01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
" Cut my wrists and black my eyes. "-hawthorne heights

then listen to some blues.. compare..enough said

ozoneslayer
01-27-2008, 05:13 AM

What you said is like saying metal, pop-punk, rock, indie, blues and emo are the same cos they all have lyrics about love.

yea thats right

Fambi
01-27-2008, 05:14 AM
Blues is about when things don't go your way in life.... Emo is about wanting to die. If you admit that there are things wrong in your life, it doesn't mean that you're emo.

Also, blues players have talent, whilst emo players have (virtually) none.

dan123
01-27-2008, 05:15 AM
all music is about some kind of emotion hence emo is a stupid name but yeah listen to the two and they are so different >blues =soul whereas Emo =whining
oh yeah the blues was around in one form or another well before the 1930's GreenDayChris it has its roots in the african american work songs field hollers and spirituals

Floydyboi
01-27-2008, 05:16 AM
blues = heart and soul
emo ≠ heart and soul
emo = lets make some fast money and be quite a bit depressing whilst were doing that

Dead_End

+1 just listen a bit, you'll get the difference by ear, styles of playing, music, the tones and ways in which they sing, all of it is different in a significant way. good luck telling the difference man ^__^

Carswell98
I mean the lyrics in both are often about sorrow and broken hearts? I hate emo rock and I love the blues, but what's the difference really?

I am offended by the very nature of that question

Blues is not about sorrow, the blues can be sadness, anger, joy or all of the above,

the blues came out of something that evolved from black christian culture. The blues was originally what would be called confession, it is a way to cleanse your soul of your emotions and feelings. it wasn't originally music per se, though it came to be over time

emo is a type of whiny rock developed during the 1980's

all music is about emotion anyway

now do you see?

vIsIbleNoIsE
01-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Blues is not about sorrow, the blues can be sadness, anger, joy or all of the above

riight. and when you find a blues song that is about roughly the same thing as an emo song, the blues song is way more mature

Dimebag22
01-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Wow, blues is totally different than emo. Seeing that question made me cringe a little bit.

Blues is not always about sadness, hurt and sorrow. It is about joy, forgiveness, anger, and sorrow.

I don't think I could have said it much better than Braedon (Carswell98). :cheers:

But anyways, emo is about 'hurting yourself for your problems' and blues is about getting rid of those problems, overcoming your fears and shortcomings. :)

meh!
01-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Blues is about how you say what you say. ;)

urik
01-27-2008, 09:34 AM
According to Maddox:
Blues is the emo of the 19th century. Only that they real stuff to cry about, like being black for example :haha

Though the emo of the 19th century was awesome :D

Carswell98
01-27-2008, 10:32 AM
According to Maddox:
Blues is the emo of the 19th century. Only that they real stuff to cry about, like being black for example :haha

You aren't helping urik :no:

:haha

JimiGrohl
01-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah I definetly agree what you people say, it's just that this emo scene that is huge right now has made me paranoid and doubtful:D...but ya know it's all in the blues

nightraven
01-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Blues is about how you say what you say. ;)
:)

vIsIbleNoIsE
01-27-2008, 12:48 PM
According to Maddox:

maddox makes the most sense all the time!

d_byrne23
01-27-2008, 01:06 PM
early blues players actually had life very rough and would play gigs just to get by..its a lot different then getting yelled at by your parents and wanting to off yourself, early blues did represent a struggle, anyone who knows a bit of history knows that...im not bashing emo, music is music, its art and it all benefits at least one person out there... /thread

pumpkins_rule
01-27-2008, 02:36 PM
If the majority of the posters in here weren't ignorant to what emo music actually is, then maybe I'd elaborate.

Blurry 505
01-27-2008, 02:42 PM
As said above emocore started late 70's roughly right?
Well blues, did NOT start in the 30's. Are you joking? Blues roots go back to the slave period. Thats where it mainly developed. So lets analyze this a little shall we?

Since blues roots are in the slave era, we can assume right off the bat that it started BEFORE 1865 (end of the American Civil War). Bringing slaves into the US was abolished in 1808 (roughly). So therefore again we can assume that the blues roots were started even before that!

What I'm trying to say is that the blues has been around for an incredible amount of time. It was the way that black men and women would sing in the fields. Some of us whitefolks were "enthralled" by their style, how they used those soulful sounds in their voice. We tried to figure out a style/scale that could emulate that in modern music. So we came up with the blues scale. Not very accurate to what they sang, but close enough.

Emocore: 1970s
Blues: way before 1865

That right there is my rant for the day unless someone refutes this.
Peace!

ze monsta
01-27-2008, 02:58 PM

EH EH.

Almost right on the blues bit.
Blues started around 1890's, as a rough estimate of when "Blues" artists started recording.

But I agree with the rest of it.

MONTSA EDIT: Looks like TS got pwned. :p:

Carswell98
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
@ Blurry 505, I couldn't disagree with a word

If the majority of the posters in here weren't ignorant to what emo music actually is, then maybe I'd elaborate.

Oh I'm so sorry

forgive my ignorance wise one

DO GO ON/sarcasm

TNfootballfan62
01-27-2008, 08:04 PM
pumpkins rule: If you don't post to enlighten those ignorant ones, they'll always be that way. ;)

Here's a rough BB King quote about the blues that i like:

"Here's some music we call the blues. It's supposed to be good for whatever ails you. It's like a good liniment. Take a taste of it and it's good for whatever ails you. . .Most people think blues is supposed to make you feel sad, but blues is supposed to be something you can boogie on like anything else."

Anyway, all that basically says to me that the blues is about any emotion you may have, but the blues is there to be good for you, not necessarily to whine about your problems. I'll let everyone else discuss what emo is about. ;)

Beakwithteeth
01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
^ Exactly, even though blues is often about being sad and lonesome, the sound of it is uplifting. It isn't about wollowing in self pity, it's about taking something bad and making it good.

Dimebag22
01-28-2008, 01:36 AM
pumpkins rule: If you don't post to enlighten those ignorant ones, they'll always be that way. ;)

Here's a rough BB King quote about the blues that i like:

"Here's some music we call the blues. It's supposed to be good for whatever ails you. It's like a good liniment. Take a taste of it and it's good for whatever ails you. . .Most people think blues is supposed to make you feel sad, but blues is supposed to be something you can boogie on like anything else."

Anyway, all that basically says to me that the blues is about any emotion you may have, but the blues is there to be good for you, not necessarily to whine about your problems. I'll let everyone else discuss what emo is about. ;)
Yeah, thats basically what I said before :cheers:

This is a Buddy Guy quote :) :

"Once I was checking to hotel and a couple saw my ring with Blues on it. They said, 'You play blues. That music is so sad.' I gave them tickets to the show, and they came up afterwards and said, 'You didn't play one sad song.'"

TNfootballfan62
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
^:cheers:

Axegrinder#9
01-28-2008, 02:54 PM

there really isn't much of a difference. I mean if it hadn't been for emo (the genre that is) there wouldn't have been any blues music.

Dimebag22
01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
there really isn't much of a difference. I mean if it hadn't been for emo (the genre that is) there wouldn't have been any blues music.
:haha ;)

Gabuydachk
01-28-2008, 04:06 PM
blues and emo are really different styles of music. blues circles around variations of the twelve-bar blues. emo is rooted from hardcore punk. similarities in lyrical subject are kind of arbitrary. most people deal with love and broken hearts, so naming genres for their lyrical content is kind of useless. it's the way they express these common ideas that separates genres (which in reality shouldn't be used as a means of separation in the first place).

ze monsta
01-28-2008, 04:11 PM
blues and emo are really different styles of music. blues circles around variations of the twelve-bar blues. emo is rooted from hardcore punk. similarities in lyrical subject are kind of arbitrary. most people deal with love and broken hearts, so naming genres for their lyrical content is kind of useless. it's the way they express these common ideas that separates genres (which in reality shouldn't be used as a means of separation in the first place).

I agree, apart from Blues being based around the 12 bar format, coz that came far later.

rock_and_blues
01-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Blues is performed by real people who lived a down trodden poverty stricken life and were viewed as bottom feeders by a majority of the population. The music the poor rural blacks produced was an extension of the cultural biggotry they suffered. Emo is performed by over privaledged white suburban kids who have everything in their life handed to them and have the best standards of living, but can't handle the fact that "mommy and daddy dont love me" (when in reality they shower them with everything they want) and that their girlfriend broke up with them (it happens, get over yourself)

TNfootballfan62
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
^That may be one of the most generalized posts i've ever read in my life. :p:

waldorphPRS41
01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Blues is performed by real people who lived a down trodden poverty stricken life and were viewed as bottom feeders by a majority of the population. The music the poor rural blacks produced was an extension of the cultural biggotry they suffered. Emo is performed by over privaledged white suburban kids who have everything in their life handed to them and have the best standards of living, but can't handle the fact that "mommy and daddy dont love me" (when in reality they shower them with everything they want) and that their girlfriend broke up with them (it happens, get over yourself)
Wrong. That's what MTV and FoxNews call emo.
Emo started in the 80's and was very hardcore influenced (emotive hardcore) with bands such as Rites Of Spring and Embrace. Later went on in a second wave(like Ska) with bands like Cap'n Jazz , Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas Is The Reason, etc. After that it pretty much died. There are very few bands out there that are still real emo bands. Crap like Hawthorne Heights and My Chemical Romance being called emo is like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte being called punk bands my mainstream media. It really isn't about lyrics like someone else said because most people write about what they are feeling.

rock_and_blues
01-28-2008, 10:45 PM
^That may be one of the most generalized posts i've ever read in my life. :p:

it was meant to be, obviously not every bluesman is a poor black guy and not every person in an emo band is a whiney teenager, but he wanted to know the difference, and imo thats the difference between blues "sad" and emo "sad" is the fact that the genres are from two vastly different cultures

TNfootballfan62
01-28-2008, 11:35 PM
^That's a fair statement, but, even though i don't like emo, i think maybe you're being a bit harsh towards its roots. I doubt every person in an emo band is an over privileged white kid who thinks mommy and daddy don't love him, just like there are plenty of bluesmen (especially almost everyone who's still alive now) who aren't products of poverty and bigotry. (SRV anyone?) :cheers:

Axendancy04
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
blues is emo?

no, emo is... just a todays crappy version of the blues,
the blues is way better and is sorrow, no whinny crying,

ever hear of clapton of srv..... look em up there pretty sweet

rock_and_blues
01-28-2008, 11:50 PM
blues is emo?

no, emo is... just a todays crappy version of the blues,
the blues is way better and is sorrow, no whinny crying,

ever hear of clapton of srv..... look em up there pretty sweet

they sound familiar, i think i saw em in the CR forum though

tomohawkjoe
01-29-2008, 01:15 AM
Emo started in the 80's and was very hardcore influenced (emotive hardcore) with bands such as Rites Of Spring and Embrace. Later went on in a second wave(like Ska) with bands like Cap'n Jazz , Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas Is The Reason, etc. After that it pretty much died. There are very few bands out there that are still real emo bands. Crap like Hawthorne Heights and My Chemical Romance being called emo is like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte being called punk bands my mainstream media. It really isn't about lyrics like someone else said because most people write about what they are feeling.
This is the only post in this thread that didn't dwindle My IQ
Everyone should read this because its pretty much spot on.

deluxity
01-29-2008, 01:52 AM

indeed

i'm so annoyed by the people who think writing really emotional lyrics is wrong, what would be the point on art then, that's where the actual feeling lies (not in the constipated faces of blues guitarists)

in my opinion, it's pointless to compare blues and emo, they might be complaining about similar stuff, but they're in really different time periods, it wasn't the same whinning back in the 40's that whinning nowadays

TNfootballfan62
01-29-2008, 02:12 AM
^I'm sure very few people actually consider writing emotional lyrics to be wrong. :rolleyes: Not EVERY blues guitarist has a constipated guitar face. The older bluesmen like Robert Johnson weren't even known for their guitar solos.

meh!
01-29-2008, 04:15 AM
Is it a coincedence then that I've never really liked Robert Johnson that much?

>.>
<.<

lol

Blues n' Rock
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Blues And Emo are two major different types of music. Blues Has Soul and Emo and just about hating your life and wanting to die. Though blues music has sad lyrics but thats because things in their life went or are going wrong. Same thought its the same thing with Emo but unlike Blues Emo music has lyrics about cutting themselves and well in short, being emo. Blues on the other hand makes great sounding music with just an all around good playing style.

tomohawkjoe
01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Blues And Emo are two major different types of music. Blues Has Soul and Emo and just about hating your life and wanting to die. Though blues music has sad lyrics but thats because things in their life went or are going wrong. Same thought its the same thing with Emo but unlike Blues Emo music has lyrics about cutting themselves and well in short, being emo. Blues on the other hand makes great sounding music with just an all around good playing style.
Jesus, seriously, you didn't discribe emo at all. You just discribe a really bad fad amongst most high schoolers who just want attention. What you discribed has nothing to do with actuall emo music. Read Waldorphs because you have only reinforced the ignorance of society.

lolmnt
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Blues And Emo are two major different types of music. Blues Has Soul and Emo and just about hating your life and wanting to die. Though blues music has sad lyrics but thats because things in their life went or are going wrong. Same thought its the same thing with Emo but unlike Blues Emo music has lyrics about cutting themselves and well in short, being emo. Blues on the other hand makes great sounding music with just an all around good playing style.You should not be allowed to post unless you know what emo is.

Blurry 505
01-29-2008, 05:32 PM
^agreed

just because you dont like emo doesnt mean you get to bash it. I love country, people bash it all the time. That just lessens what I think of them. At least have the dignity to respect those emo bands as musicians. They are playing music, they are making lots of money. 99% chance of more money than you.

Sorry, but I don't believe any of us have the right to just straight up bash a genre. Its total musician disrespect. And i dunno what to say other than thats just not cool man..

TNfootballfan62
01-29-2008, 06:27 PM
While i dont agree with bashing emo, and i haven't taken part in it, what do you expect when you get an emo thread in the blues forum? :p: It would be the same anywhere else. An emo thread in the blues forum, and blues thread in metal forum, etc. It's probably going to get bashed by elitist people who think that their favorite genre is inherently better. That's just how people are...

tomohawkjoe
01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
the thing is, most of you aren't talking about actual emo music
Your talking about little whiny kids who are part of a bad trend.

TNfootballfan62
01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
It'd be the same way with anything else. When people (even in this thread) criticize blues music, they talk about guys with "constipated faces" and stuff like that, when actually that's a very small part of the blues. That's the stereotype, so that's what people think about that don't listen to the genre. And if you're "your" was directed at me specifically, i never once bashed emo in this thread. ;)

My point with all this is, try not to be to upset, that's just the way people are. :cheers:

TheDev01dOne
01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I read a few posts in the thread, didn't bother reading them all since it's so stupid..

This thread answers itself in the title.. If blues was emo and emo was blues they wouldn't have seperate names.. It doesn't matter what the definition of 'emo' is or if people are incorrectly stereotyping it or whatever.. They are different, not the same... So why start some useless argument about what emo is?

Can't this thread get locked or deleted since it's original question has been answered loads of times?

tomohawkjoe
01-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Sorry, thought you were someone else, but I think a large portion of the post here about emo music aren't even related to actual emo music, more like a generalization about what they see from some kids wearing hawthorne heights t's. But I will agree with you on that some of the arguments against blues here are pretty retarded. I may not listen to much blues, I certainly don't remember any constipated faces.

Blind In 1 Ear
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
often blues songs are about being down but they also can tend to have a ray of light in the song. plus, blues isnt like emo because emo is more like whiney and "i want to die, cry, no one understands," etc... basically i think its making too big a deal of things. blues on the other hand is emotional but its usually pretty light on the sorrow.

like if you take hendrix's song "takin' care of no business", the lyrics are not really too serious. i mean, its about a guy who has nothing to his name and nothing going for him, but it still seems like its not that bad ya know?

so blues for the most part i think is more simple and even though it may be about hard times and struggles, it can still have a lighter side to it. (think red house "if my baby dont love me no more...i know her sister will")

Gabuydachk
01-29-2008, 10:17 PM
just because you dont like emo doesnt mean you get to bash it. I love country, people bash it all the time. That just lessens what I think of them. At least have the dignity to respect those emo bands as musicians. They are playing music, they are making lots of money. 99% chance of more money than you.
well most real emo bands don't make any money

TNfootballfan62
01-29-2008, 10:18 PM
^I love Takin' Care of No Business. Great song.

Blurry 505
01-29-2008, 11:43 PM
It is a good song. And no I wasnt rantin at ya TN, it was Blues n rock and most other people bashin. I agree this should be closed though, haha. Its nothing but stereotypes and such. I admit it i stereotype emo music like most others, but i know theres more behind it (obviously) than the stereotype.

But why would I bash someone who is also named Kyle? Haha

I must say, good thread. I thnk this is probly one of the most active threads in this subforum :)
Whether thats good or bad...

INDUSTRIALMETAL
01-30-2008, 12:19 AM
The blues are about Hard Days at Work and losing your Girlfriend.

imgooley
01-30-2008, 03:11 AM
for my money, i don't get very specific about genres. All modern popular music falls into two catagories: blues and neoclassical music. Yeah, the blues started as a cultural thing, but over the past 100 years it has evolved and transformed into every genre, from Jazz to Metal to Hip-Hol. Some play it faster, some play it slower, some play it more complex, some play it less complex. Its all the blues to me. Emo music evolved out of hardcore which evolved out of punk which evolved out of the blues. I saw a interview with Joe Strummer saying that he used to listen to Muddy Waters and The Cream. If y'all don't analyze the origins of the stuff that you listen to then just enjoy the damn music. But i assume that this site is full of music lover, so why not take the time to study the stylistic and lyrical origins of the stuff.

TNfootballfan62
01-30-2008, 12:13 PM
It is a good song. And no I wasnt rantin at ya TN, it was Blues n rock and most other people bashin. I agree this should be closed though, haha. Its nothing but stereotypes and such. I admit it i stereotype emo music like most others, but i know theres more behind it (obviously) than the stereotype.

But why would I bash someone who is also named Kyle? Haha

I must say, good thread. I thnk this is probly one of the most active threads in this subforum :)
Whether thats good or bad...

:haha :cheers:

Blurry 505
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM
:D

The blues are about Hard Days at Work and losing your Girlfriend.

No my friend that is not blues.. thats country! My #2 genre :)

wohzah
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I would say that emo and blues may have similar subjects but the blues has very different musical qualities, mostly in the instrumental portion of the music. Emo is evolved from rock music whereas the some of the blues came from jazz and some of it just came up on its own. Also as a footnote alot of rock (which emo is built from) came from the blues, so yes they are related in slightly more than subject.

deluxity
01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
^I'm sure very few people actually consider writing emotional lyrics to be wrong. :rolleyes: Not EVERY blues guitarist has a constipated guitar face. The older bluesmen like Robert Johnson weren't even known for their guitar solos.

saddly, many people do...

and i can't see how your post can be related to mine

TNfootballfan62
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
^It was a response to your saying that feeling doesn't lie in the constipated faces of blues guitarists. You were displaying some of the same closed-mindedness that you seem to dislike so much by implying that blues is about having a constipated guitar face.

DaveGilmour1189
02-02-2008, 04:31 AM
emo - teenagers soaked in irony singing about how difficult breaking up is

blues - 80 year old black guys spreading their wisdom

fine, you want to add the whole "real emo" debate into this. I know all those indie bands outside of the mainstream have some pretty deep and powerful stuff. But the blues is about experience, having walked down a couple roads in your time. I personally think it just digs into the human experience in a deeper way than emo.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Blues musicians are actually real musicians. They pioneered the guitar as a serious and popular instrument, and had very innovative song writing ideas and playing techniques.

Emo music is very commercial and incredibly shallow.

Resiliance
02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Blues musicians are actually real musicians. They pioneered the guitar as a serious and popular instrument, and had very innovative song writing ideas and playing techniques.

Shut up. Emo musicians are musicians. Blues musicians are musicians. Don't be so smallminded.

Anyway, I actually thought the thread starter meant this as a joke.

What's the difference between jazz, death metal and trance? They both use 12 notes right? (in equal temperament, before anyone goes that route)

Well done. We've established that music is music. Be it emo, blues, or anything else. Like it, love it, that's all.

Dimebag22
02-02-2008, 01:47 PM

It doesn't matter what style of music a musician plays, they are still musicians! Just because one musician may be more technical than another, does that mean that the other one isn't a musician? Just because you enjoy one musicians style more than the other, does that meant that the other isn't a musician?

No. Musicians are musicians. Whether they are blues, metal, jazz, shred, rock, emo, ect. They are still musicians. That is all I have to say.

lolmnt
02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
emo - teenagers soaked in irony singing about how difficult breaking up is

blues - 80 year old black guys spreading their wisdom

fine, you want to add the whole "real emo" debate into this. I know all those indie bands outside of the mainstream have some pretty deep and powerful stuff. But the blues is about experience, having walked down a couple roads in your time. I personally think it just digs into the human experience in a deeper way than emo.There's a **** load of blues songs about bad relationships

Just saying

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 02:02 PM
There's a **** load of blues songs about bad relationships

Just saying
indeed. right now im listening to you dont love me - earl hooker

off topic, he has probably the best tone ever to come out of an electric guitar, imo

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 03:03 PM
You think people who can mash power chords are musicians? There is very little musicality about it. Blues aren't the most technical musicians, but they at least take some time to learn and actually feel the music (most of them).

Panic! At the Disco and Fallout Boy are musicians, yes. Terrible ones.

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
You think people who can mash power chords are musicians?
i think your an idiot.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Okay, HOW are those emo people good musicians? Name something original or technically difficult in their songs.

waldorphPRS41
02-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Those are pop-rock bands.

Dimebag22
02-02-2008, 03:54 PM
You think people who can mash power chords are musicians? There is very little musicality about it. Blues aren't the most technical musicians, but they at least take some time to learn and actually feel the music (most of them).

Wow. Please do us all a favor, and get the fuck out.

People who smash power chords are, in fact, musicians. I bet they can play 10 times better than you. There might not be much technicalities in their songs, but does that mean that they are not musicians? No.

Okay, HOW are those emo people good musicians? Name something original or technically difficult in their songs.

There doesn't need to be originality in music for it to be music. Look at the 12 Bar blues, that progression is used in countless blues songs. So what you are saying is that if a blues musician ever used the 12 bar blues progression then they are not original therefore not a musician :rolleyes: . So I don't find that music or musicianship is based on originality.

Leave this thread.

Thanks.

RHCP94
02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Sunny Day Real Estate and Jawbreaker were very original in fusing softer melodies and a sharper focus on lyrics into the Washington DC punk scene. Technical difficulty is not needed to make a song good. Ask Bob Dylan.

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 05:16 PM
There doesn't need to be originality in music for it to be music. Look at the 12 Bar blues, that progression is used in countless blues songs. So what you are saying is that if a blues musician ever used the 12 bar blues progression then they are not original therefore not a musician :rolleyes: . So I don't find that music or musicianship is based on originality.
thank you

also, a lot of those guys who use 12 bar blues are good songwriters. and a lot of emo players are good songwriters.

thats pop rock, not emo.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
People who just use 12 bar blues in every song like SRV and Jimmy Vaughan aren't original, I agree.

People like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson, who don't just use 12 bar blues, and pioneered blues music, which was the precursor to pretty much ALL rock music, are very very innovative and original.

And a perfect time to do some self advertising...There's a recording of me playing guitar in my profile, its "Born Under a Bad Sign," check it out.

*Edit* wait, for some reason that doesn't work for me. Go to http://media.putfile.com/Born-Under-a-Bad-Sign- to check it out. And if you still wanna hear more :p: check out http://media.putfile.com/Tom-Tim-and-Paul - that's still me and my band but from a few months ago.

TNfootballfan62
02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Shackman, you're exactly the type of closeminded, immature person that has given a lot of us here in the Blues and Jazz forum a bad name. :(

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Shackman, you're exactly the type of closeminded, immature person that has given a lot of us here in the Blues and Jazz forum a bad name. :(

I'm not narrow minded. Blues and jazz aren't the only kinds of music I like at all. I'm a big classic rock fan, I love jam bands, love classical music, and I even like a lot of rap (stuff like the roots and Mos def, though).

The only music I DON'T like is whiny emo music and cheesy and/or screamo metal.

TNfootballfan62
02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
^But you not liking it doesn't mean it's bad or those people aren't musicians. It's extremely narrow minded of you to say that.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Maybe some of them are good songwriters, but their music is very shallow and simple.

DaveGilmour1189
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
^But you not liking it doesn't mean it's bad or those people aren't musicians. It's extremely narrow minded of you to say that.

in fairness, we're talking about how he doesn't think emo bands are real musicians. That's not the close-mindedness you guys in the blues forum are known for. A good majority of the active users of the entire site would agree with him. Hell i would agree with him. (and for the record when i say emo, i mean fallout boy type bands, yeah i know they aren't real emo, whatever, whiny pop punk)

I totally agree with the shallow and simple label. Its not music, it was created by some record producer to sell albums to high school kids. They are the Warrants, the Wingers and the White Lions of our generation.

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 07:30 PM
People who just use 12 bar blues in every song like SRV and Jimmy Vaughan aren't original, I agree.
i never said that. SRV had a very unique and original guitar style, despite unoriginal songwriting.

Maybe some of them are good songwriters, but their music is very shallow and simple.
bob dylans music is simple, neil youngs music is simple, and bad companys music is simple.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Dylan's music may have been simple (even though I could disagree, "In My Time of Dyin'"?) but those emo bands, even the ones you consider "real emo" can not be compared with Dylan's lyrics. Just listen to It's Alright Ma and then try to compare them.

Dimebag22
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM

People like Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson, who don't just use 12 bar blues, and pioneered blues music, which was the precursor to pretty much ALL rock music, are very very innovative and original.
SRV is a very original guitarist despite the 12 Bar blues he played over. Which wasn't even him, it was his bass player. Just because they use a 12 bar, doesn't mean that they are not original... =/

What you said was that musicians that play emo music were not musicians because their songs are simple, not technical and not original. Then you go on to say that people who use the 12 bar pattern are not original also.

The 12 bar blues progression is, in fact, very simple, not technical at all, and, from what you are saying, not original.

So basically, all this stuff that you are using against emo music is present in blues music also.

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Dylan's music may have been simple (even though I could disagree, "In My Time of Dyin'"?) but those emo bands, even the ones you consider "real emo" can not be compared with Dylan's lyrics. Just listen to It's Alright Ma and then try to compare them.
what emo band lyrics have you listened to?

So basically, all this stuff that you are using against emo music is present in blues music also.
and its also incorrect

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
SRV is amazing at guitar, but his songs are all very much alike and he basically copies Hendrix.

I'm not a big fan of SRV. I don't really think he's that original either. People say stuff like he does Voodoo Child better than Hendrix, but at least when Hendrix did Voodoo Child it was his own song and was among the first songs to sound like that. When SRV covered it, he didn't even try to sound original, he almost played it the exact same.

If you listen to my stuff and say I'm not original, I agree, because I'm not. The difference is I'm not extremely famous and I'm not rich because of the music I play, either.

DaveGilmour1189
02-02-2008, 08:22 PM
SRV is amazing at guitar, but his songs are all very much alike and he basically copies Hendrix.

I'm not a big fan of SRV. I don't really think he's that original either. People say stuff like he does Voodoo Child better than Hendrix, but at least when Hendrix did Voodoo Child it was his own song and was among the first songs to sound like that. When SRV covered it, he didn't even try to sound original, he almost played it the exact same.

If you listen to my stuff and say I'm not original, I agree, because I'm not. The difference is I'm not extremely famous and I'm not rich because of the music I play, either.

as much as i would like to defend you on the whole "emo sucks" thing, i just would like to point out Hendrix's two biggest hits were covers (hey joe, and all along the watchtower)

Axegrinder#9
02-02-2008, 08:40 PM
guys, I think it's wise to stop taking away precious minutes from your ephemeral life and not carry on this quite incredible argument that is being presented in this thread. maybe there's no argument.

but yes, Blues IS emo.

crazynickman
02-02-2008, 08:46 PM
:rolleyes:

The "emo" you are referring to is the antithesis of the blues in terms of true spirit. Emo bands spring up in boardrooms across America because there's a market for it. The blues basically came out of a need for those that played them to sing their pain or whatever was happening with them.

It's a much more earthy and solemn genre, even comparing them to the most "depressing" emo lyrics. Have you ever heard "Hellhound On My Tail"? If that's doesn't answer your question, I don't know what else to say.

Even if sorrowful lyrics alone make you think something is emo, there's no way you can compare the two. Emo is not the sole proprietor of sorrow. If anything, blues is.

as much as i would like to defend you on the whole "emo sucks" thing, i just would like to point out Hendrix's two biggest hits were covers (hey joe, and all along the watchtower)
But he made them his own; they sounded different from the originals (and in the case of Hey Joe, different from all the other covers.)

RHCP94
02-02-2008, 10:45 PM
God, no one is saying they are better than Dylan, we're just debunking the myth the complexity breeds excellence.

Shackman10
02-02-2008, 10:52 PM
:rolleyes:

But he made them his own; they sounded different from the originals (and in the case of Hey Joe, different from all the other covers.)

I concur. Hendrix made both of those covers incredibly different and they were almost completely different songs. SRV just played Voodoo Child exactly (almost) like Hendrix.

crazynickman
02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
God, no one is saying they are better than Dylan, we're just debunking the myth the complexity breeds excellence.
Case in point: Dragonforce.

imgooley
02-04-2008, 10:42 PM

By your reason people like Pepper Keenan and Greg Ginn aren't musicians. And what do you think the boogie is? power cords, sir.

BTW when Fallout Boy started they were a legit emocore band. Their music has since morphed into a cookie cutter version of 'emo'.

Blind In 1 Ear
02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I concur. Hendrix made both of those covers incredibly different and they were almost completely different songs. SRV just played Voodoo Child exactly (almost) like Hendrix.
if you think SRV's playing sounds exactly like hendrix then i dont think you listen to any of them enough. they both sound totally different. the two versions of voodoo child sound different too actually. SRV did however use some hendrix type playing in it. but why is that bad? he was paying tribute to his hero.

but now look at little wing. SRV's version is nothing like hendrix's. he has his own style and put a whole new spin on it.

im really not sure why people say he just copied hendrix. i really dont hear it that much. i mean, sometimes i hear some hendrix inspired licks here and there but i think SRV really had his own style, his own tone as well. theres a lot of things hendrix did that SRV didnt do. ive listened to both of them quite a bit and i know their style very well. i really dont see how anyone could say SRV just copied hendrix. again if you think that, then you havent listened to either of them enough.

TNfootballfan62
02-08-2008, 04:17 PM
^I agree. SRV probably took more from Albert King than from Hendrix, but i don't see him as a "copy" of anyone.

Carswell98
02-08-2008, 06:21 PM
^I agree. SRV probably took more from Albert King than from Hendrix, but i don't see him as a "copy" of anyone.

Yeah, the only reason I can really tell the two apart on my CD with both pf them is that, SRV tends to play a little more complicated licks, and his tone (obviously), I think the biggest reason they sound similar is because SRV tends to overbend exactly like King

and SRV doesn't sound like Hendrix in those songs really, he plays the key riffs and licks the same, but SRV's versions are about twice as complicated technically, especially in Little Wing, (even though I enjoy the Hendrix versions of both more more)

Mechanixx
02-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Theres nothing wrong with emotion in music. From Metal to Hard Rock Power Ballads to Pop and Soul all music contains emotion.

Blues lyrics are much more sincere, none of this my girlfriend of 2 days dumped me and I get bullied by this Jock cause I wear womens trousers.

Axegrinder#9
02-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I would consider All American Rejects to be blues.

Carswell98
02-10-2008, 10:48 PM
I would consider All American Rejects to be blues.

good for you

Axegrinder#9
02-10-2008, 11:17 PM
good for you

I sense that you disagree. A fight to the death.

TNfootballfan62
02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Can i come? I have a grenade.

crazynickman
02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
How about evidence for your claim instead of an e-brawl?