Tube Amp Squeal

PDA

View Full Version : Tube Amp Squeal

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
just today i was playing my amp and after about 30-45 seconds a very loud high pitched squeal comes from the amp, about 2-3 times louder than the volume the guitar was playing at. i tried unplugging from my pedalboard and plugging straight into the amp and it did the same thing again. My amp is a Krank Revolution Combo and it does this on both channels. could it be the tubes? Ive had it for just under a year with no new tubes or anything.
any help is appreciated

The red Strat.
01-30-2008, 05:40 PM
that's feedback, my friend. and it's not the good kind. a noise reduction pedal can get rid of it, but try this first:
turn the gain down
turn the volume down
stand futrther away from the amp
don't face the amp
don't use much reverb at high volumes.

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 05:43 PM
that's feedback, my friend. and it's not the good kind. a noise reduction pedal can get rid of it, but try this first:
turn the gain down
turn the volume down
stand futrther away from the amp
don't face the amp
don't use much reverb at high volumes.

it definately isnt feedback
its very loud and even when i play my guitar you cant hear it.
i have a noise reducer in my pedalboard and when its on i still get the squeal

TheZim
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
this acutally just happened to me when i went to go play a used tube amp at guitar center and the guy told me it was most likely from when the last person who owned the amp didnt bias the tubes or didnt bias them correctly...did you recently change your tubes or not bias them?

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
this acutally just happened to me when i went to go play a used tube amp at guitar center and the guy told me it was most likely from when the last person who owned the amp didnt bias the tubes or didnt bias them correctly...did you recently change your tubes or not bias them?
i havent even touched the tubes since i got it
and its been perfect up until about 30 minutes ago
and when i get home and plug in my guitar and start playing
it just starts squealing

antroolez
01-30-2008, 05:48 PM
this happened wen i was at a gig....

basically, i forgot my amp pedal lead that came with it, and tried to use a normal TS jack lead...

but you need to use a TRS jack lead tht sorted it

TheZim
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
how long have you had the amp? it is a tube amp correct?

antroolez
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
did u have a pedal connected to it?

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 05:51 PM
how long have you had the amp? it is a tube amp correct?
just under a year
and yeah its tube

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 05:52 PM
did u have a pedal connected to it?
i did when it first happened
then when i plugged straight into the amp it still did it

TheZim
01-30-2008, 05:53 PM
the only thing i can say is to try to plug the guitar straight into the amp, if it still does it then you know its either a problem with you're chord or your amp, it could be a loose connection with your guitar but that would be more of a hum than a squeal and since this just happened to me literally this past Sunday and it sounds like the exact same thing you're talking about...i'd take to a shop and just show them whats happening, they arent gonna charge you anything they'll just tell you whatever

antroolez
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
sod that for a game of soldiers...i don't know what's going on there I thought using a TRS lead from pedal - amp would do it...but if it's still doing it plugged straight in, thts buggered

TheZim
01-30-2008, 05:55 PM
its the amp dude its gotta be....something is either wrong with the tubes or just straight up wrong with you're amp...take it to shop, unless you're good with all the technical stuff just pay them and let them fix it

antroolez
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
don't pay them if you haven't done anything wrong...just ask for refund/replacement if its their fault

and if they refuse, torch the gaffe

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 06:02 PM
don't pay them if you haven't done anything wrong...just ask for refund/replacement if its their fault

and if they refuse, torch the gaffe
i was just wondering if it was the tubes or something
the place id take it to get fixed is going to be different than where i bought it from
so i cant ask for a refund
and i was planning on selling it tommorow
so this is a huge kick in the nuts considering now i need to spend money before i sell it

sum_ugly_man
01-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Hmm, just get them to take a look at it, It might not be as expensive as you think. Ts, how much was the amp?

beckyjc
01-30-2008, 06:08 PM
SOunds like your valves are microphonic, not 100% though, but if all else fails, try replacing them.

Ultimate_Gio92
01-30-2008, 06:14 PM
itz because its a Krank!

lulz

seriously thoe, when i heard his amp, it was the most horrible high pitched noise ever. It definitely is NOT feedback of any kind because even when you flip the standby switch, you can still sorta hear the noise. Its not the guitar or pedalboard for sure cuz we tried it with 3 guitars.

I guess suicide is always an option.

EDIT: If youre still having trouble imagining the noise. Imagine a woman nagging "I NEED A NEW CAR" "SHEILA GOT A NEW CAR" "I WANT A VACATION" "WE NEED TO PAINT THE HOUSE" "WE NEED A CHILD" "OH GOD WHY DID WE HAVE THAT CHILD". Thats what his amp sounds like now.

COBHC6
01-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Hmm, just get them to take a look at it, It might not be as expensive as you think. Ts, how much was the amp?
about 2000
and i hope its just the tubes, it was due for a change anyways