Trumpet players

PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet players

deluxity
02-01-2008, 05:11 PM
so, i've finally decided to get a trumpet, i'll not be getting lessons until may, but by now, i want to know if anyone can recommend me a book, a website, a video or anything to help me begin, cause i don't want to start the lessons completely blank

and btw, i don't have a trumpet yet, i'll probably buy it within the next 2 weeks,

thanks in advance :D

Redsx158
02-01-2008, 05:52 PM
arbans book is like the trumpet bible

Nick_
02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Some teachers don't like arban's and it's real old but there certainly are a lot of quality exercises

For now, practice making noise - blow long tones on whatever note you hit and try to keep the sound steady. Get thee to a teacher as soon as possible.

Miss G
02-02-2008, 08:45 AM
check out hal leonard essential elements for trumpet book I think thats what its called

it will get you started :)

meh!
02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I'll try and look out the books I used to use.

guitaruboy
02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
i remember when i first started learning trumpet in the 5th grade, i'm one of the few trumpets left in my high schools band
we started out (total trumpets in my grade) with 15 or so
everybody quit
don't be like them
trumpet is awesome

deluxity
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I'll try and look out the books I used to use.

you play trumpet?

:eek:

meh!
02-04-2008, 04:36 PM
you play trumpet?

:eek:

Why would that be a shock? :p:

And no, I used to. I might take it up again when i'm more free to.

gopherthegreat
02-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Why would that be a shock? :p:

And no, I used to. I might take it up again when i'm more free to.
you should. i wish i could play trumpet.

Nick_
02-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Everyone knows trumpet players are better kissers.

That's all the reason you should need to start.

deluxity
02-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Everyone knows trumpet players are better kissers.

That's all the reason you should need to start.

with that amazing muscular contron in their lips, they have to :p:

deluxity
02-17-2008, 11:53 PM
i just got my trumpet yesterday :D

and it's hard as hell...

meh!
02-18-2008, 08:57 AM
i just got my trumpet yesterday :D

and it's hard as hell...

Just make sure you're producing your embouchure correctly and *don't* push the trumpet against your lips hard to help make a sound. Bad habits on the trumpet are much, much harder to correct than those you'll find on guitar and it will seriously after a point stop you from getting any better.

deluxity
02-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Just make sure you're producing your embouchure correctly and *don't* push the trumpet against your lips hard to help make a sound. Bad habits on the trumpet are much, much harder to correct than those you'll find on guitar and it will seriously after a point stop you from getting any better.

yeah, i've been trying to avoid doing ankward stuff, i even play with a tuner so i'm not flat or sharp :confus:

any other advice?

book?

site?

meh!
02-19-2008, 07:56 AM
yeah, i've been trying to avoid doing ankward stuff, i even play with a tuner so i'm not flat or sharp :confus:

any other advice?

book?

site?

lol, I can't find my books. Sorry, but I have a sneaking suspicion I just "lent" them to my school to use with other people and never asked for them back. (I left school...)

Nick_
02-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Just whatever you do, try to press the horn into your face as little as possible. Unlearning habits is NO FUN.

Make sure you always sit with correct posture (shoulders back, both feet flat on the floor in front of you, back arched back, string pulling your head up: it's very important to keep your airway open) and breathe in DOWNWARDS, not up (fill your abdomen with air by thrusting your diaphragm down, not be lifting your shoulders)

Don't play anything unmusical. Always sing with your horn.

Until you develop the support and control to play loudly without making an ugly sound (you'll know what I mean when you play it), don't. Play softly. Use FAST AIR, but less of it.

The angle of your horn will very depending on your teeth/jaw but don't have it jammed upwards. Bring the horn to your face, not your face to the horn. Try to have it as straight forwards as possible while keeping your head level. A slight downward tilt is normal. A slight upwards tilt is unusual but it works for Freddie Hubbard.

meh!
02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Just whatever you do, try to press the horn into your face as little as possible. Unlearning habits is NO FUN.

Make sure you always sit with correct posture (shoulders back, both feet flat on the floor in front of you, back arched back, string pulling your head up: it's very important to keep your airway open) and breathe in DOWNWARDS, not up (fill your abdomen with air by thrusting your diaphragm down, not be lifting your shoulders)

Don't play anything unmusical. Always sing with your horn.

Until you develop the support and control to play loudly without making an ugly sound (you'll know what I mean when you play it), don't. Play softly. Use FAST AIR, but less of it.

The angle of your horn will very depending on your teeth/jaw but don't have it jammed upwards. Bring the horn to your face, not your face to the horn. Try to have it as straight forwards as possible while keeping your head level. A slight downward tilt is normal. A slight upwards tilt is unusual but it works for Freddie Hubbard.

All good stuff, if you cared for a second opinion delux.

Also, don't try and go *way* too fast from the go, you can damage your lip and it stops your from playing.

psychodelia
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
And don't puff out your cheeks, because you aren't Dizzy (there's a real reason not to, but I've forgotten it by now).

meh!
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
And don't puff out your cheeks, because you aren't Dizzy (there's a real reason not to, but I've forgotten it by now).

lol, I don't think there's an especially amazing reason why not to, except that you're wasting energy/air that should be going into the trumpet and you look like a total spaz.

Nick_
02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
The muscles (they have a specific name that I can't remember) in the corners of your mouth that hold the corners shut need to be very strong and precise and clamped tight with proper embouchure. With your cheeks puffed, you can barely even use them. I've no idea how diz manages. His technique is just a beautiful, glorious accident (like wes' thumb :))

Always remember, just like with guitar: minimize tension at all times. The higher you go, the more you need to relax. But don't worry about range now; you don't have the air support yet, you'll kill your lips making them do all the work. The strength has to come from your air, your lips just vibrate with precise control, no tension (ideally). Hang out on that 2nd line G, make friends with it for now. Figure out some simple melodies (it's good for your ears) that are around the notes you can play.

deluxity
02-21-2008, 01:33 AM
thanks for the advice... :D

i need to practice more, i just have a little spare time in the morning which is when i can play, so, i'll just keep working in it

Shiptoni
03-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Try the C.L. Clarke book. But play all the exercises slowly(might be a little to advanced).