want to learn jazz, where to start?

PDA

View Full Version : want to learn jazz, where to start?

guns_rosesldb
02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
I've been playing guitar for about 3 years, mostly blues based stuff. I know open chords, pentatonic major and minor, and the blues scale, but i want to learn how to play jazz but i am completely lost as to where to start. I do already know a little bit of theory. Could someone tell me where to start and/or suggest some websites that have good jazz lessons?(even if they are at a very beginner level)

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
you don't know barre chords? learn those first.

backtothe70s
02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
You should learn how to build chords - find the root, 3rd, 7th and so on. Modes....

guns_rosesldb
02-02-2008, 05:29 PM
you don't know barre chords? learn those first.

well yeah, i know the basics like barre chords and power chords and stuff you would find in blues and rock

Jimmy94
02-02-2008, 05:38 PM
1) start studying theory
2) transcribe tons of songs

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 05:46 PM
well yeah, i know the basics like barre chords and power chords and stuff you would find in blues and rock
oh. you specifically said "i know open chords", which made me think you didnt know barre chords.

KryptNet
02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
with jazz guitar...I wouldn't recommend all the fragmented online guitar lessons. You'll just end up confused and/or misinformed. I would recommend a good teacher, but if that's out of the question, a good book.

I would recommend "Beginning Jazz Guitar" by Jody Fisher. It covers all the basics and you'll get an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Second, expose yourself to as much guitar jazz and live jazz as possible.

As far as theory, I don't think you need to know choral writing to play jazz guitar. As a beginner, all you really need is a good understanding of the major scale, circle of fifths, and common jazz progressions(ex. ii-V-I). It's enough to get you started. Hope it helps - ;)

Punk Poser
02-02-2008, 05:53 PM
If you are serious get a quality teacher, otherwise you won't get very far.

stringzzz
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Play the 1, 4, 5 progressions you know from blues and substitute maj7 or maj9 chords for the 7ths or whatever you would normally play. kind of over simplyfing but an easy place to start. get the "Real Book" it's a jazz fake book. get a good book on chord construction, like "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene.

Learn to understand chords and the process will go alot faster. for example, if you know a 7th chord, learn what the intervals are then raise the 7th degree one half step and you have a maj7 chord. take the chords you already know and practice building other chords from them .

Nick_
02-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Start by building a collection of good jazz to listen to. Then find a jazz player who also teaches.

Ataxia
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Start by building a collection of good jazz to listen to. Then find a jazz player who also teaches.

Agreed.

You can't just start playing 'jazz guitar' without an understanding of it, much less the technicality of knowing how to play it. How much jazz do you listen to? What jazz have you listened to?