Robert Johnson

PDA

View Full Version : Robert Johnson

Guitar_Obsessed
02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I searched and didnt see anything.

I got a Robert Johnson collection CD today and its amazing.
What do you think of his music or the myth surrounding it? The 'He sold his soul to the Devil' myth. I find it facinating. Such a mysterious dude.

Discuss

Iluvpowerchords
02-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Mashed Potato Johnson > Robet Johnson.

opivy21
02-02-2008, 07:27 PM
You gotta love him.

Cobalt Blue
02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
he kicks serious ass. especially since he possessed The Pick Of Destiny.

but yeah he's awesome, and he wrote like half the old blues songs you hear a lot of people covering.

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 07:36 PM
he was absolutely amazing. i have his complete discography.

Dimebag22
02-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Woo. Robert Johnson was amazing! :) Did you know that there are only two known photographs of Robert Johnson?

gopherthegreat
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Woo. Robert Johnson was amazing! :) Did you know that there are only two known photographs of Robert Johnson?
indeed i did. and one of them is the picture for the blues group. :)

ze monsta
02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
he was absolutely amazing. i have his complete discography.

Me too. :D

Way ahead of his time guitar playing wise.

urik
02-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I actually don't like him :\
Delta blues isn't my thing :(

Gabuydachk
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
GASP!
haha
watever
his music is beautiful. he had this way of touching every emotion in you.

SuperBlob
02-03-2008, 11:57 AM
He stole my fucking name

Bitch :sad:

Mr.Cuddles
02-03-2008, 12:05 PM
GASP!
haha
watever
his music is beautiful. he had this way of touching every emotion in you.
not really i listened to him and fell asleep...
i didn't like him much.

meh!
02-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I wasn't fond of him either. People rave about his guitar playing... don't understand why, in particular. Stylistically you might find it appealing, aside from that I'm nonplussed. And I find his singing vaguely comical.

But , meh! :p:

ze monsta
02-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I wasn't fond of him either. People rave about his guitar playing... don't understand why, in particular. Stylistically you might find it appealing, aside from that I'm nonplussed. And I find his singing vaguely comical.

But , meh! :p:

Yeah, I wasn't fond of his singing at first either.
But if you listen to other guitar players of the time, he really is playing far more complicated rhythms and riffs.

:peace:

meh!
02-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I wasn't fond of his singing at first either.
But if you listen to other guitar players of the time, he really is playing far more complicated rhythms and riffs.

:peace:

That doesn't really make me like him, though. Dream Theatre play more complicated riffs than Steely Dan, if you catch my drift.

johnny_tapia
02-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I haven't heard that much by him, but what I have heard was pretty good :)

Beakwithteeth
02-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I quite love RJ, I'm not sure if he really deserves to be held in so much more esteem than other delta bluesman, but he IS the most legendary for sure.

Carswell98
02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Have the complete recordings, great stuff

I'd have to say 32-20 blues or Come on in My Kitchen are my faves
He is a cornerstone of the genre

I'd have to say my favorite delta player was Skip James though, in my opinion he was just the best at it all

gopherthegreat
02-03-2008, 08:30 PM

I'd have to say my favorite delta player was Skip James though, in my opinion he was just the best at it all
skip james had an amazing voice.

i'd say my favorite RJ song is preachin blues (up jumped the devil)

Carswell98
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
skip james had an amazing voice.

I updated mah avatar today

:D

it was time

Grand Wazoo
02-04-2008, 03:20 PM

That song has the most random intro ever.

imgooley
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Skip James is my favorite acoustic blues guy.

Well is see the effect that RJ had, but i think that John Lee Hooker had way more of an effect. No one played electric blues like John lee.

johnny_tapia
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I just ordered an album with all 41 of his recordings on it. I can't wait to hear it :D

FiliphSlim
03-19-2008, 01:19 AM

BOOOO

rockraccoon
03-21-2008, 05:50 AM
ive got much love for robert johnson, i wouldnt call him my fav but i certaintly admire his playing

theneildeal
03-21-2008, 08:45 AM
His playing was exceptional, but you only appreciate it when you try to play and sing it! I watched the Sessions For Robert J, and if Clapton can't play something, you know that its virtually impossible for anyone else!

I love the myth surrounding him. His music is so haunting, and its very strange to listen to. I remember when i first got a cd of his, and i listened to it. I didn't like it. But i knew that this guy is one of the most important men in blues history, so i got Claptons Me and Mr Johnson album, loved that, and eased myself into Robert J. Now, i love his music!

I think that he is overrated. It always helps when Clapton, a guy that is known as God, talks about how he is the most important bluesman of all time. But its not unjustified. I personally think that Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker had more of an influence on blues at the time, but Robert Johnson is the main influence of Clapton, and i don't know of any guitarist who was influenced by Clapton indirectly or directly

failsaferemedy
03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I was just listening to Sweet Home Chicago. I don't know what it is about that song, but it just makes me want to hear MORE. I don't have any of his recordings, though (save that one song), but the man fascinates me.
I would listen to all of his stuff, but my cash reserves are low and the library doesn't have any of his stuff on CD.

ze monsta
03-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I didn't like his voice at first, but it grew on me to the point where I couldn't stop listening, and that's when my love of the Delta blues really hit a peak. He had so many voices and his guitar runs seem so complicated, you ask yourself, is it really just Mr Johnson, on his own, and singing the blues.

He is a real legend of blues and to me, has been incredibly influential in the way I sing and play guitar.

http://www.bakedziti.net/images/robertjohnson_small.jpg
Apparently, that is a lost photograph of Robert Johnson, that was on eBay.
Thoughts?

theneildeal
03-21-2008, 09:22 AM
it looks like a fake. there are only 2 known photos of him. If it was real, it wouldn't be put straight on ebay. It would go to sotherby's or christies. Also, to be quite honest, he's not a strange looking guy, so if someone found an old picture of a black guy, it could look like Johnson, and with the 2 photos of him not being entirely clear, its difficult to say whether other photos are of him or not.

But looking at the photos of him, he has a rounder head than the guy in the photo. Also, the guy in the photo has a bump on his nose, whereas Johnson didn't have that.

ze monsta
03-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm stuck halfway between, because it does look incredibly like him to me, he had a very wide noes with wide nostrils, and small ears. But Johnson's eyes are far darker than that in the two other photos.

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:43 AM
That ain't RJ

Carswell98
03-27-2008, 03:53 AM
nope, that doesn't really look like him at all

imgooley
03-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Read Me and the Devil Blues.

Awesomeness

ze monsta
03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I came to that conclusion too. I mean, why the hell would RJ carry a pen?!

aetherspear
03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
32-20 is one of my favs. Actually any song by an old bluesman that has a line about killing his woman is gold in my book. Especially this and Crow Jane by Skip James.

Carswell98
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
32-20 is one of my favs. Actually any song by an old bluesman that has a line about killing his woman is gold in my book. Especially this and Crow Jane by Skip James.

32-20 is by far my favorite RJ tune

imgooley
03-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I came to that conclusion too. I mean, why the hell would RJ carry a pen?!
To sign contracts...... idk?