The Marshall Tucker Band

PDA

View Full Version : The Marshall Tucker Band

Ramblin'_Man
02-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I haven't seen any threads on them and they're a great band. A fusion of country, rock, and jazz with a unique setup using a flute and sax. Toy Caldwell is also one of my favorite guitarists, so I thought I'd start a discussion on this great dixie band.

aig91
02-04-2008, 12:52 AM
The Marshall Tucker Band is definitely one of the greats. Toy Caldwell has been a huge part of my inspiration as a guitarist, but he is very underrated.

claptonfan55
02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Very good band. Toy was definitely a guitar great. "Can't You See" is definitely my favorite MTB song.

rockinlespaul
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
They were a great band, and Caldwell's thumb picking really gave them a special sound. Heard It In A Love Song, Can't You See, Fire on a Mountain, and Ramblin' are all tunes that I love to play.

I did see them a year ago, and I must say that they just aren't the same. Not that I'm expecting them to be quite the same, but there's been significant dropoff.

Sloopy
02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
^ Do they still have all or most of the original members? Somebody told me that just the bassist and the drummer were the only originals touring at this point.

Ramblin'_Man
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
well the bassist, tommy caldwell has passed on so he is not with the band and the only original member is doug gray, the lead singer, i believe, but i may be wrong.

aig91
02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
well the bassist, tommy caldwell has passed on so he is not with the band and the only original member is doug gray, the lead singer, i believe, but i may be wrong.

Yes, you're right. George McCorkle (another original member) passed last summer.

rockinlespaul
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I think there was another when I saw them, which was right after McCorkle's passing. I remember they made a reference to him. The lead singer is the nephew of Doug Gray I beleive.

ZZTOP ABB JWD3
03-17-2008, 11:23 PM
there arent enough tabs for them i would love a tab for long hard ride, one of my favorite songs, they are awesome, very talented group

aig91
03-18-2008, 01:57 PM
there arent enough tabs for them i would love a tab for long hard ride, one of my favorite songs, they are awesome, very talented group

Yes I agree that there aren't enough tabs for MTB. I've been working on submitting some but it's still not enough. I suppose I could try to tab Long Hard Ride...

C_Miller
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
They're a very awesome summer band. They are one of the groups that I always make sure to play on the first day the temperature gets over 50 and the windows open. Also a nice band for long drives down south. Favorite songs would be Take the Highway and of course the best Southern Rock song of all time, Can't You See.

MockingbirdGirl
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I saw MTB a few years ago...I guess it was 2006.
The lead singer was awfully drunk. :P
But that sucked because all he was doing was rambling on & on about things instead of playing music.

But you know, when they actually DID play, it sounded great. :)