Awesome video! (Back Door Slam)

PDA

View Full Version : Awesome video! (Back Door Slam)

TheDev01dOne
02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Well I've liked Back Door Slam for a while now and am hanging on a chance to see them live, so I got bored and was checking out some youtube videos of them today and found this awesome one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQFGHQD-wE

I'm a big John Mayer fan but.. Considering these guys were/still are (I think) independant and haven't had the HUGE label support, not to mention help from BB King Eric Clapton etc etc. like John Mayer has..

I would rate the guitarist, Davey, probably the best young blues guitarist ATM. John Mayer is good but he'll always have that kinda mainstream-ness and poppy-ness to his stuff, where these guys are just no frills blues. And amazing at it!

So yeah, just thought I'd share this gem since I reallllly enjoyed it.

EDIT: Okay I just seen the other thread about BDS down the page a bit.. "Your New Gods"..

I don't wanna start a big argument.. Opinions are welcome and appreciated but no need to start arguing over crap.

I think the easy way out these days for people is to call every good new blues guitarist an SRV ripoff, or an Eric Clapton ripoff etc etc.

If that video ^^ Is just someone immitating someone else then I (and probably everyone who comes in the blues/jazz forum) should probably quit playing right now.. That is just as good as ANY blues guitarist, ever.. Borrowing licks, immitation and even cover songs ARE A MAJOR PART OF BLUES.. Even in the very early days everyone was covering each others songs and immitating other players, swapping stealing borrowing licks.. It's part of the blues culture, that IMO is a big part of what makes it great. It's welcomed, appreciated and well respected.

If it wasn't for all the english guys (EC, John Mayall and company) Covering all the old american guys songs, we probably wouldn't even have electric blues as it is today. They may have just drifted off into oblivion.

People being close-minded and calling everyone an SRV ripoff or whatever is just going to destroy the blues because no matter what you think.. it's ALL been done before! So either get used to it or stop listening to blues..

Hell Sonny Boy Williamson II was such an immitator he even stole another artist's name! And he is quite well respected in the blues still..

/RANT! .. Sorry guys, needed to voice my frustrated opinion.

Carswell98
02-06-2008, 01:50 PM
pfffffft

I'd stomp him

:sad: no I wouldn't, he can play with the best

GD_GC
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
He is amazing, and anyone who insults is just pissed that they can't play like that. I personally think he has his own sound, too, he isn't even close to a ripoff of anyone. He is phenominal.

But belive it or not, there is a better video of Red House on youtube, the one at SXSW, check it out. It will blow your mind.

Carswell98
02-06-2008, 03:19 PM
He is amazing, and anyone who insults is just pissed that they can't play like that. I personally think he has his own sound, too, he isn't even close to a ripoff of anyone. He is phenominal.

But belive it or not, there is a better video of Red House on youtube, the one at SXSW, check it out. It will blow your mind.

I really don't even know why people would insult him, he really does sound all his own, and nobody can deny his chops, or his unique voice for that matter

man these guys just gained a fan

Wasp
02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
That sounds pretty good, thanks for posting.

gopherthegreat
02-06-2008, 05:27 PM
ya, hes great

i dont have anything to add besides that....

Blurry 505
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
My favorite videos of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50DbjogXuyc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3r573S1gQw&feature=related

Just amazing..

Dimebag22
02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah bro! He is quite good! He has some sweet chops, and a unique playing style. I don't care too much for his tone in this video, but other than that, it was amazing! :D

CarolinaMustash
02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Does anyone have their cd? Is it any good?

TheDev01dOne
02-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah their album Roll Away is awesome, been on high rotation in my room since I got it, has some really good acoustic songs on there too.

I quite like his tone, has loads of sustain.. Considering that was a borrowed guitar too, that's pretty good. If he didn't buy it or try to keep it somehow I think I'd have to slap him.

CreamyKrieger
02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah, i love these guys. I made a thread about them a while ago but i guess it died out.
Seeing them live is the way to go though. At Lollapalooza last year he was throwing out some seriously amazing licks.

I'm gonna be seeing them again at Bonnaroo this year, should be good stuff.

He uses Don Audio half stacks. I thought it was an Orange amp from far away until i heard and saw it up close. His tone is fantastic.