who got you into blues or jazz music

PDA

View Full Version : who got you into blues or jazz music

Mr.Cuddles
02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
just wonderin'
who got you into blues or jazz music which artist? how?why?

for me i heard about rock coming from blues and was always intersted in it then i decided to look.
id say the artists were BB king SRV and Buddy guy that got me into blues.

Dr. No
02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
When I first heard Texas Flood..

bizzle06
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
No Doubt SRV

MetalMusicianAl
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
texas flood and some solo joe pass did for jazz.

Dimebag22
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton (Cream).

But most of all, my old guitar teacher :) Thanks for getting me into this shit man!

Dr. No
02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton (Cream).

But most of all, my old guitar teacher :) Thanks for getting me into this shit man!

Yea man same thing with me. I liked Green Day and The Offspring and thankfully my first guitar teacher showed me the good music.

d_byrne23
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Mine was a guitar teacher as well, I was into nothing but shred, I had a carvin legacy in high school and a ibanez rg prestige, i had a couple lessons, and when hed show me scales hed apply them to song, he introduced me to Robert Cray, then I did my research and obviously SRV and Gary Moore kept me interested..i love it

Carswell98
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I'll timeline it

favorites

age 10-Metallica
age 14-Slipknot/limp bizkit *facepalm
age 15-led Zeppelin-first plays guitar
age 16-Beatles
age 17-John Lee Hooker
age 18-SRV/BB King now

the reason I did that is because not really one artist is to blame, I don't listen to metal at all anymore, like none, but thats what brought me to Zeppelin, who will always be my favorite, from their I started exploring Jimmy Pages influences, and came upon Mr John Lee Hooker, and further on.

I'm still a total Blues noob, and I know next to nothing about jazz, it's all a state of evolution for me

oh and kudos to Dimebag22, I read a post of yours about Wes Montgomery and checked it out, very nice, I "acquired" his complete discography today, and I love it, so I guess DB got me into jazz :p:

man I wrote way too much, oh well, deal with it

Dimebag22
02-07-2008, 02:08 AM
I'm still a total Blues noob, and I know next to nothing about jazz, it's all a state of evolution for me

oh and kudos to Dimebag22, I read a post of yours about Wes Montgomery and checked it out, very nice, I "acquired" his complete discography today, and I love it, so I guess DB got me into jazz :p:

:haha Yes! and I got you into John Mayer too :p:

cratskomodo
02-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Eric Clapton got me into blues.

oopich
02-07-2008, 02:24 AM
John Lee Hooker or George Thorogood. I thought their music was so....raw, so much passion when I first heard them.

meh!
02-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Progressed from Robben Ford into both. Just love his playing.

sre9981
02-07-2008, 04:42 AM
Sadly...

Guitar Hero introduced me to Stevie Ray Vaughan, who got me into the bluesier side of guitar, but I'd been a fan of Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and classic rock since I can remember. Discovering SRV was the breakthrough though, from there came Clapton, Hendrix's blues, the Kings, Buddy Guy, Delta, all his influences, etc. The Old guys in turn got me into the new guys, Mayer, etc. You guys introduced me to the new wave of indie blues (Back Door Slam, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, etc)

urik
02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
A friend of mine showed me Gary Moore. And from there I got deeper searching for Gary Moore stuff.
Example:
Sees Gary Moore with BB King youtube video. Thinks it's pretty cool. Searches for BB King. Finds a gig of him with Albert King. Searches for Albert King. Finds Albert Collins. Searches for Albert Collins...

And so it goes. I have to thank my friend, Gary Moore, and youtube :] .

Barkeeper
02-07-2008, 11:34 AM
^: I had that too. Yesterday I realised that my favourite U2 songs are those heavily influenced by blues.

Jimmy94
02-07-2008, 12:46 PM
the beatles were the first band I ever really got into and I followed their influences back through rock and roll and the blues.

I just picked up jazz naturally along the way :)

the_axis
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
i've always liked blues, and i was good at improvising with the blues pentatonic, so i started listening to some. my favorite blues guitarist is probably buddy guy

as far as jazz, my guitar teacher said it would really help with playing rock. and now i love it. i really like wes montgomery and joe pass

master
02-07-2008, 05:21 PM
The Rolling Stones got me into the blues. I was watching a concert DVD of them with my folks and Midnight Rambler came on and just blew me away. I looked into their inspirations and found Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, etc...

Gabuydachk
02-07-2008, 05:32 PM
when i was 10, i stole a bunch of my dad's CDs, and beneath all the crappy pop albums were a Homeblues compilation from Holland and Louis Armstrong's 21st Century Collection. thus my first experiences with jazz and blues which really grew on me.

gopherthegreat
02-07-2008, 06:25 PM
a lot of hard rock like aerosmith, ac/dc, mountain, the black crowes, etc. once i noticed the blues influence in their playing i looked into it and loved it.

Lord Koby
02-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I asked my friend's dad to give me some suggestions for good guitarists to listen to for inspiration, and one of his suggestions was Roy Buchanan. (He also got me into Jeff Beck and Robin Trower at the same time, but that's another story.) I listened to the track Roy's Bluz and was instantly hooked. My parents also used to play Clapton when I was younger, but I didn't get into the blues until I was about 16.

barefootboy
02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
When I was in junior high I lived in southern Misssissippi. Every festival, social gathering or dance was filled with blues, jazz and/or cajun music. At the time, I didn't realize that it was special. It was just a bunch of old folks playing every weekend. It wasn't until I was in college that I realize that those were some special musicians.

Beakwithteeth
02-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I went through a time when I read biographies about bands a lot and I read a Beatles one and the Beatles were really influencesd by Chuck Berry and old '50s rockers so I read Chuck Berrys autobiography and he said his favorite musician ever was Muddy Waters. That wasn't the first blues I had gotten but it was probably the first step towards my love of it.
Idk about jazz, I am a hardcore noob, I love it I just know very little. I have gotten really eclectic recently so who knows where interest in jazz came from.

Colton165
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I was just exploring genres one day... and I've always been a metalhead.. and I read in an interview of Kirk Hammett that he wanted an 'amp that he could play jazz & blues on, then take to the studio and thrash on'. I then began researching jazz and blues... and now im into it, along with funk.

TheDev01dOne
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I was always big into surf rock and classic rock from guitar lessons but then went to like offspring blink 182 etc, then rap for ages, then heard metallica for the first time when I was like 16 (I'm slow I know!) which got me back into rock and I went back to all the classic rock and then progressed back into heavy metal like lamb of god etc. andthen only about 1 and half years ago I got the crossroads DVD and Robert Cray just got me addicted to blues, never looked back since.

It was always there in the undercurrents but I'd have to say the thing that seriously made me take notice of blues and really get into it was Robert Cray on the crossroads DVD. Glad I seen it because blues is like 95% of my musical diet now.

blink+guitar
02-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Clapton - when i went to his world tour (a year ago), then SRV got me deeper along with the help of my guitar teacher showin me some good blues stuff, then i just branched and now i really only listein to blues and a bit of jazz.

And no doubt UG introduced me to some great artists! thanks guys :)

ze monsta
02-09-2008, 05:56 AM
My brother and sister.
My sister had Elephant by The White Stripes when it came out, and I loved it, so I became a stripes fan and as I was fairly young then I listened to the odd song and liked it. And like 2 years ago I got into them big time, I was kinda addicted to them, and I liked the bluesier stuff, so I kinda went back in time via Jack White's influences.

My bro was into lots of Indie/rock, when indie was good round 2002/2003 and I listened, and I liked, and I delved into the bands influences and yeah it's all been said before.
He later listened to lots of chicago blues and Jazz, so I found it that way.

And I'm damn pleased I was listening to blues since I was about 8. It's helped a lot.

Blind In 1 Ear
02-09-2008, 02:21 PM
just wonderin'
who got you into blues or jazz music which artist? how?why?

for me i heard about rock coming from blues and was always intersted in it then i decided to look.
id say the artists were BB king SRV and Buddy guy that got me into blues.
eric clapton. i always wanted to try and learn blues but i knew nothing about it. my girlfriend at the time had the song layla on her computer. her dad really liked that song. and i remembered that there was a slower acoustic version of it. so i looked it up and found it. and at the end of the song you could hear him get ready to play another song in open G. i wanted to find out what it was so i ended up getting the whole album (unplugged).

and that opened me up to blues. it also worked out well for me because i only had an acoustic. from there i got into more clapton and then BB king and then people like hendrix and SRV.

srvflood
02-10-2008, 03:09 PM
One of my friends gave me that SRV box set that has three of his albums on it, and I went from there. My bass teacher just recently got me into Jazz

Tomaz24
02-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I've always admired blues from a distance. But the John Mayer Trio which I started listening to about a year ago now really got me properly into it. Now I love my SRV, BB King and Clapton.

For Jazz, I'd have to say Wes Montgomery did it. I think one of the first jazz tunes I ever heard and thought - hey I really wanna play that, was his cover of Polka Dots and Moonbeams. So simple, yet so amazing.

GD_GC
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
My dad showed me "Texas Flood" and I just really liked it. But for about 3 or 4 years after I first heard that album, I went through a classic rock kick, and pop punk kick, and a hard rock kick, but somehow I ended up remembering that album he showed me, and I fell in love with blues, blues rock, old time delta blues, all kinds of blues, and I just haven't looked back.

MrBlues
02-11-2008, 03:20 AM
blue: mainly clapton and people intorducing me to diffrent artists, and recently my guitar teacher giving me some good jazz stuff.

Axegrinder#9
02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
yeah I had always had more than a passing interest in the blues, primarily because of the blues roots of so many of my favorite guitar players like Satch, Eric Johnson, Larry Carlton, and of course Ritchie Blackmore, Jimi Hendrix and Robbie Krieger. I've been experiencing a kind of blues revival listening to a lot of younger guys like Derek Trucks and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

My entry into jazz was in part thanks to my old guitar teacher, who kind nudged towards "thinking" jazz as opposed to showing me exercises and such... and then I kind of took the back route into pure jazz. I'd been listening to the jazz fusion guitar players for a while. And then couple of years ago, I started digging Indian Classical music and found intrinsic similarities between jazz and indian classical improvisation. And then around that same time I got hold of Miles' Bitches Brew and Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and things kind of changed forever...

sgtpepperz
02-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd started out into rock and went around the many types of it, and I'd hear a bluesy solo here and there, and I'd hear my old guitar teacher just play some improv blues here and there, and I loved the sound. I didn't really look into blues until around a year later and I got into SRV and Hendrix, and then I dove deeper into the pool of blues and now I'm addicted.

It all traces back to the blues, and that's how I got into it. Found the path and walk down it.

ECwomantoneman
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
My dad got me into it without a shadow of a doubt - he used to pat out "Key to the Highway" on my back when I was a baby, so he kinda subliminally programmed me I guess :p:

tatorbits
02-14-2008, 10:11 PM
I was pretty much brought up with blues... In Canada lol when i was a kid my dad showed me some BB King, although he didnt know much about music. After that i started into rap and stuff, and then emo (for like a month), then i found my way back to blues, and i havent let go of it for the last year. It helps me get through the day :)

phallpdx
02-15-2008, 02:20 AM
I am actualy a jazz drummer... so I guess you could say that just playing the music got me into it... My teacher was always teaching me jazz stuff, and I played in a jazz band in middle school. I wanted to play ANYTHING I could get my sticks on, and the easiest way to do that was to play jazz. Ever since I first got that musical "High" I could not let go... so yeah.

But artists/bands that keep me interested in Jazz:

John Scolfield
The Bad Plus
Joshua Redman
Dave Douglas
Chris Potter

claptonfan55
02-15-2008, 04:29 AM
Eric Clapton got me into blues.
+1, from him I discovered B.B. King and a lot of other blues greats for myself.

Pastorius666
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton (solo + yardbirds +cream), BB King. Joe Perry from aerosmith is probably my greatest influence though, fusing blues and rock into something that I really enjoy.

frusciante_50
02-15-2008, 04:03 PM
My Dad played me Oscar Peterson

hotsnakes
02-16-2008, 12:30 AM
when i first heard crossroads and texas flood in guitar hero 1. after that i became a big cream fan, then began listening to srv

who is the greatest blues guitarist of all time.

when i started playing guitar, i saw a video of steve vai playing "tender surrender," then i watched some frank gambale vids and BAM! i was big on jazz too.

sinan90
02-16-2008, 08:00 PM
I got put into a jazz trio at school, and I didn't really know much about it, and just listened to tunes that we were doing then branched out.

I got into blues through the bluesier elements of classic rock that I listen to and then went to get the albums that influenced them. I still do that with a lot of my music.

WlCmToTheJungle
02-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I never really liked Blues or Jazz (I didn't know enough about it) until I heard Continuum by John Mayer and went to his concert. He talked about Stevie Ray Vaughan and Miles Davis at once point so I thought I would go and check them out.

alliwant
02-17-2008, 04:46 PM
I was talking to one of the older guys at work and he said that he'd met Buddy Guy's brother Phil and said he was a really sound bloke so I went home and listened to some Buddy Guy just out of curiosity as I'd heard of him but never gave him a listen.

I spent the whole night listening to him, Albert Collins, Jeff Beck and B.B King. Also dug out some old Muddy Waters records since then.