How do you play?

PDA

View Full Version : How do you play?

Carswell98
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Curiosity is getting the best of me, so I must know, just for something to do

how do you play?, is there anything unique about your technique?

how do you pick?

who do you sound like more than anyone else?

do you have bad habits?

Mettliccaa
02-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Well my thumb bends rather oddly which gives me a different picking style than most.

urik
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Instead of holding the pick with the thumb and the 1st articulation of the index finger, I hold it with the thumb and the middle articulation of the index finger.

Dirtydeeds468
02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I use my left hand fingers to fret the instrument and my thumb and index finger on my right hand to pick the strings.

Revolutionary, I know.

Carswell98
02-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I use my left hand fingers to fret the instrument and my thumb and index finger on my right hand to pick the strings.

Revolutionary, I know.

no ****?

good for you, thats pretty difficult

SuburbanCowboy
02-07-2008, 05:39 PM
no ****?

No, sir... good for YOU for starting one of the most pointless threads in recent memory. :cheers:

Carswell98
02-07-2008, 06:26 PM
No, sir... good for YOU for starting one of the most pointless threads in recent memory. :cheers:

you gotta be known for something I guess :(
and what can I say, would a nice sorry help?

it was just a question

meh!
02-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I have a dodgy wrist from when I broke it (and totally ****ed some nerve stuff) when i was younger, so now I tend to play chords in the easiest way possible. Like, I try to avoid proper "Thumb behind the neck, fingers resting on the frets" position, if at all possible, it's too painful.

Carswell98
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I have a dodgy wrist from when I broke it (and totally ****ed some nerve stuff) when i was younger, so now I tend to play chords in the easiest way possible. Like, I try to avoid proper "Thumb behind the neck, fingers resting on the frets" position, if at all possible, it's too painful.

ouch, and thanks for a real post

See SuburbanCowboy?

that was what I wanted, it wasn't so bad was it, I just want to know what makes people different from one another when they play.

Blurry 505
02-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I dont do anything wierd.. but i borrow lots of things from different players ive seen play. Using the thumb on almost all low E string. I always use a quarter bend when playing blues, sounds wierd but hey, it works.

I hold a pick with the tip of my thumb and tip of my pointer finger. Dont see that a whole lot, and to add to that my other 3 fingers are almost straight out (usually cause I anchor my pinky a lot)

My style is wierd because its a blend of rock country (Keith Urban, Chesney) and blues (SRV, Mayer, Lang).

P.S. Listen to some Kenny Chesney guys. Beer in Mexico, check out the end solo. Simple stuff but his guitarist is insanely good. I guess he was a session player when Kenny hired him to go on tour. Hasn't let go of him since :p

TheDev01dOne
02-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I play 90% on my bridge pickup of my Teles and Esquires (Of course) and I pick right over the top of the pickup to get a really lively tone and nice harmonics.

My left hand doesn't do anything much interesting really. Never learned to use my pinky properly so for lead stuff I compensate with my 3rd finger, works fine IMO but I'm working on getting my pinky useable.

I have abad habit of playing the same licks over and over again but I suppose everyone has certain licks they really like. I also bend the G string way too much.

House_OfBlues56
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I have a bum pinky, which i cant use for anything more than most (not all) chords.
like the guy before me, i make up with my ring finger.

in order to have a distinct style, i never learn other peoples licks outright. i always learn the rough idea by ear, and then modify it.

i also spend wayyyy too much time on my tone

ze monsta
02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't do anything really different, pay with my fingers / pick it changes. Only different thing is I like my guitar quite high.

Dirtydeeds468
02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
no ****?

It's really not.

( :haha )

deluxity
02-08-2008, 05:40 PM

something similar happened to me

3 years ago (august of 2004) i broke my arm, so, i had a lot of spare time, i already knew how to play a couple of chords, but... that was it

so i started to do fingerings (my right arm was broken so i wasn't able to pick)

2 weeks later, when the doctor removed my plaster cast, my right arm was slightly twisted clockwise, so... it was hard to find a way to palm mute cause when my fingers couldn't reach the strings while i was doing palm muting

eventually my fingers grew up and it was way easier

Carswell98
02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
It's really not.

( :haha )
:mad:

I hate you............

:haha:

meh!
02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
something similar happened to me

3 years ago (august of 2004) i broke my arm, so, i had a lot of spare time, i already knew how to play a couple of chords, but... that was it

so i started to do fingerings (my right arm was broken so i wasn't able to pick)

2 weeks later, when the doctor removed my plaster cast, my right arm was slightly twisted clockwise, so... it was hard to find a way to palm mute cause when my fingers couldn't reach the strings while i was doing palm muting

eventually my fingers grew up and it was way easier

Hmm, I hurt mine about 7 years ago. I dind't start playing guitar till, what, 4 years ago?

Dirtydeeds468
02-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh Bender, honey, we love you!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o3/AaronMcKeown/bender-pimp.jpg

Shut up, baby! I know it!

Carswell98
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o3/AaronMcKeown/bender-pimp.jpg

Shut up, baby! I know it!

I think you just pwned me :(

ECistheBest
02-08-2008, 09:14 PM
i pick normally with my thumb and my index finger, but my middle finger curls inside my hand when i strum or pick notes.

my left hand, my thumb goes over the neck fretting some low E or A strings at times. also, my pinky never gets use during lead licks, only in certain chords it gets used.

my playing style is a fuse of eric clapton and stevie ray vaughan i guess... my tone is definitely leaning towards the claptone tho.

my bad habits? i don't think i have any and that's why i don't try correcting anything.

gopherthegreat
02-08-2008, 09:15 PM
i bend my G string too much

Blash
02-09-2008, 02:44 AM
-I have a very violin-esque vibrato with my left hand, and I tend o increase it's intensity as the note fades (sometimes the other way around). Same goes with a vibrato-equipped guitar, with the right hand.
-I use my pinky and thumb on the left hand a LOT more than the average guitarist, especially if I'm 'soloing'.
-On the highest string, I'll sometimes bend the string off the fretboard to catch the edges of the higher frets. It mutes the string a little bit, and makes it buzz.
-I usually tune my guitars down to C# standard.
-I usually drop the highest string down a step. I don't do that as often as I used to though.
-I use the sleeves of my shirt to mute the strings sometimes.

As far as my picking goes... I don't know if this is awkward or not, but I hold my pick at a 45 degree angle to the string. Most people seem to hold it parallel.

I've never heard anyone play or sound like me before (not bragging or anything, just saying).

I lean forward too much when I'm playing, and my right shoulder end up being sore when I'm done.
Not necessarily a bad habit, but I was born with arthritis, so I'm not very fast (my fingers lock up after playing 'fast', or if I played too long). It's very restricting.

laurel333
02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Treble - 5
Mid - 5
Bass - 6
Reverb - 3 or 4
Gain - 9
Channel - Overdrive
Pickup - Neck

I think it bears pretty good resemblance to the tone that Clapton uses from Slowhand onwards. If i want to play Cream stuff then i just use the middle pickup (strat) and turn the tone down to about 5 or 6. Yeah, thats my attempt at his 'Woman Tone' - works quite well.