Acoustic Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Punk

ATOM
02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I have noticed an increase in punk musicians (Chuck Ragan of HWM, Chris McCaughan of Lawrence Arms, and Dustin Kensrue of Thrice) releasing acoustic solo albums. Does that fact, coupled with songs like NOFX's "You're Wrong" and acoustic artists such as Mike Park on punk label Asian Man, show a turn in punk music towards artistic expression as opposed to more about bare bones and speed? That does not go to say there isn't artist expression in an Oi! song, but this folksy evolution, is shining a new light on the punk rock community. What are some of your favorite acoustic punk songs, covers, solo projects, so on and so forth.

metalhead987
02-11-2008, 11:34 AM
though its not acoustic, i really like the agony scene's covers of do what you want and paint it black

bognorboy
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Rise Against - Swing life away & roadside
Alkaline trio - Enjoy your day, Blue In The Face, Sorry About That
Matt Skiba - Good Fuking Bye

IlikeTheSKA
02-11-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Crass Songs by Jeffery Lewis is genius.

MisterChainsaw
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Bayside- Acoustic.

RockThe40oz
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains.

'nuff said

sargasm
02-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I think there was a thread very similar to this recently.

At any rate, the acoustic punk thing has been especially huge in the last few years, with all those wonderful plan-it-x type bands being quite prominent. I think it's great.

The acoustic guitar lends itself well to that Kerouacesque troubadour lifestyle, which is quite punk.

FuzzyBear
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
The Singer From Millencolin Did One Too, And Didnt One The Bad Religion Guys Also Release One?

Iluvpowerchords
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
All I know is that I will never pay money to see or hear one guy or gal strum one guitar unless that guy or gal is extremely eccentric and writes exceptionally amazing songs.

I'm not into slam poetry and I'm not into solo acoustic folk performances.

I'm not knocking that stuff or anyone who likes it, but I try to avoid it.

Acoustic Bands are cool though.

sargasm
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I like acoustic folkey sing-along stuff a la Ghost Mice

Iluvpowerchords
02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I like the Michael Jordan Touchdown Pass.

Or at least the one song I downloaded from them/him.

It was about King Kong and smoking and it had a sweet keyboard lead.

And I think one guy played all the instruments.

I wish I knew how to record and mix like that.

JohnnyGoSka
02-11-2008, 04:44 PM
All of Against Me!'s acoustic stuff is pretty stellar, check out the Acoustic EP, Crime, As Forgiven by Against Me! and of course, Vivada Vis, which is probably my favourite Against Me album.

StreetLight3989
02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I think the whole folk punk thing is great. Just a whole lot of energy in the scene and it's something new a refreshing. I really like it.

original=punk
02-11-2008, 05:10 PM
its not "acoustic punk" that implies it's punk music playedo n acoustic instruments.

t's folk punk, because its FOLK music with punk infused into it.

plasying fast songs on an acoustic guitar doesn't make it folk punk, you have to have the major component's of the folk genre, it's more intricate than it at first seems.

best folk punk artist? I think it is currently Adhamh Roland, cause he's pure awsomeness, and he's not just poundign on an acoustic guitar, it's like, actual folk music, but punky.

BrianApocalypse
02-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I really don't listen to acoustic punk albums, but I'm currently in the process of making one.

So far, I have about 2 songs done.

In the summer, of course, I plan to do a full ten track studio album, with drums, acoustic and electric guitars, basses, keyboards, percussion, bongos and flute, if I can work out how to play the damn thing.

It might sound wimped out, but indeed, it will rather be more grandiose and orchestral than straight punk, which isn't very interesting to listen to.

It'll probably sound a little something like the johnny skullf*ck sound on acid.

sargasm
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
I think the whole folk punk thing is great. Just a whole lot of energy in the scene and it's something new a refreshing. I really like it.

I agree with this.

It's the best thing to happen to punk in a looooooong time. Such a positive scene!

PunkMeGrunge
02-12-2008, 09:36 AM
its not "acoustic punk" that implies it's punk music playedo n acoustic instruments.

t's folk punk, because its FOLK music with punk infused into it.

plasying fast songs on an acoustic guitar doesn't make it folk punk, you have to have the major component's of the folk genre, it's more intricate than it at first seems.

best folk punk artist? I think it is currently Adhamh Roland, cause he's pure awsomeness, and he's not just poundign on an acoustic guitar, it's like, actual folk music, but punky.

Agreed!
Although I never really called it folk punk, usually just acoustic punk.
We all learn new things, eh?
Booyah.

streetlight7
02-12-2008, 11:43 AM
B.o.t.a.r

lolmnt
02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I agree with this.

It's the best thing to happen to punk in a looooooong time. Such a positive scene!I agree with Sargasm's decision to agree with this. I can't wait to go to my first folk punk show.

Descendent-182
02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with Sargasm's decision to agree with this. I can't wait to go to my first folk punk show.
I agree with you agreeing that this is a good thing for punk

gopherthegreat
02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
i wholeheartedly agree............what?

seriously, can someone suggest me some bands? i wanna get into this, but dont know where to start

edit: besides ghost mice

opivy21
02-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Pine Hill Haints (thanks to whyvern)

devourthekitten
02-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought punk was supposed to be aggressive...what a strange world...

BostonLacrosse
02-13-2008, 10:57 PM
well it actually comparitivly to other acoustic genres it is fairly "aggressive"

Ska Wars
02-13-2008, 11:01 PM
While we're on the topic of folk punk, can someone explain to me what Anti-Folk is?

original=punk
02-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I always considered anti-folk to be folk punk.

The Moldy Peaches are a good anti-folk band, although it sucks their music was used in Juno.
Especially since Michael Cera and Ellen Page can't worth ****.

opivy21
02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I liked Juno. Michael Cera only really has one character, but I always like it. Plus I'm biased anyway, cuz Cera and Jason Bateman were both in it and Arrested Development is/was my favorite show.

Iluvpowerchords
02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
I always considered anti-folk to be folk punk.

The Moldy Peaches are a good anti-folk band, although it sucks their music was used in Juno.
Especially since Michael Cera and Ellen Page can't worth ****.

I haven't seen Juno.

But I loves me some Ellen Page.

Even as a fake pregnant person. :o

devourthekitten
02-13-2008, 11:51 PM
well it actually comparitivly to other acoustic genres it is fairly "aggressive"
That is a horribly written sentence, and I hope you are gravely ashamed.

Adam_Harrison9
02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I'll say it again, justin sane's solo album is t3h sex.

DX_Guitar
02-14-2008, 02:24 PM
since were talking about accoustic punk. do you think bob marley is considered punk?

BrianApocalypse
02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Not really, but the punks liked him.

There was definitely a kinship, if you watch "rude boy", Ray has a Marley t shirt on while the clash cover police and thieves.

BTW, for those who want to hear some acoustic punk, click the link in my sig.

sargasm
02-14-2008, 04:27 PM
The wailers were originally a Ska band. My friend has a tape from their ska period but I've never heard it.

kaptink
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Do this bike is a pipe bomb count as folk punk?

punkalaskan
02-14-2008, 04:51 PM
"Travel On" by Morning Glory is a good acoustic song

also "What I Got" by Sublime

lolmnt
02-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Do this bike is a pipe bomb count as folk punk?Yes

Doolittle
02-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Can Kickers!
One of the best things ever to come outta CT

l337_h4x0r5
02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Bomb the Music Industry! has some pretty good acoustic stuff

and the Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution are fantastic!

Leonheart
02-15-2008, 03:05 AM
12 Crass Songs by Jeffery Lewis is genius.

I DL'd that a few days ago. It was a huge disappointment to me. I love Crass, and I love anti-folk. But he didn't do a good job on it imo.

Also, I love Against me!, TBIAPB, and Defiance, Ohio.

mike2
02-15-2008, 03:32 AM
so, me and my friend are gonna do a acoustic thing... i gotta get a harmonica and some bongos...and talk about how much i hate the government...and ****.

mike2
02-15-2008, 03:32 AM
i wish i could afford a stand up bass.... :(

PunkMeGrunge
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Acoustic punk = rad.
End of story.

DX_Guitar
02-15-2008, 01:44 PM
i heard iggy and the casulties were going to get together and make an accoustic punk album. anyone else hear about it?

crustyreed
02-15-2008, 01:58 PM
i heard iggy and the casulties were going to get together and make an accoustic punk album. anyone else hear about it?

yeah i've seen pictures of the casualties guitarist's acoustic, it is fully studded up so it still maintains maximum punkittude.

sargasm
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM

nooooo igggyyyyy

First sum 41 and now this :(

Adam_Harrison9
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
nooooo igggyyyyy

First sum 41 and now this :(

I'm sick of everyone bitching about the casualties. They're cool guys and their music is not as bad as a lot of punk bands. Bandwagon hoppers if you ask me.

lolmnt
02-15-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm sick of everyone bitching about the casualties. They're cool guys and their music is not as bad as a lot of punk bands. Bandwagon hoppers if you ask me.Their music hurts my ears

JesusOfSbrbia
02-15-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm sick of everyone bitching about the casualties. They're cool guys and their music is not as bad as a lot of punk bands. Bandwagon hoppers if you ask me.
You just get pissed whenever people hate the awful bands you like.

The only folk punk band I've gotten into very much is Ghost Mice, but there's a bunch of cool stuff like that going on in my scene, so I go to acoustic shows from time to time. One of my favorite local bands plays folk-punk-style stuff, but they do it with a full electric lineup, it's a really cool, interesting sound.

gopherthegreat
02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, can someone reccomend me some good folk punk besides ghost mice and againt me?

dannay
02-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I agree with Sargasm's decision to agree with this. I can't wait to go to my first folk punk show.
im going to one tuesday. Flogging Molly ftw!

TheAdict310
02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Flogging Molly isn't folk-punk. I think there are like 20 threads about this, but I'll list some good ones:

-Defiance, Ohio
-Ghost Mice
-Saw Wheel
-Paul Baribeau
-Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
-Mischief Brew/Erik Petersen
-Andrew Jackson Jihad
-This Bike is a Pipe Bomb (not acoustic, but still amazing)
-Sundowner (Chris from Lawrence Arms)

original=punk
02-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Flogging Molly isn't folk-punk.

they are a style of folk punk, "folk" is a genre of music, encompassing all folk styles from different countries, techinically, "irish/celtic punk" is folk punk because "irish/celtic music" is in fact folk music.

TheAdict310
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
they are a style of folk punk, "folk" is a genre of music, encompassing all folk styles from different countries, techinically, "irish/celtic punk" is folk punk because "irish/celtic music" is in fact folk music.

Yeah, but "folk-punk" usually isn't referring to Irish stuff.

original=punk
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, but "folk-punk" usually isn't referring to Irish stuff.

but it still applies, no matter what "it usually refers to." Remember how people call green day a tr00 p0nx band? They aren't, but they are referred to as it.

crustyreed
02-17-2008, 11:43 PM

AHEM and i quote:
You Always Put Us Down
Because we spike our hair
Bondage trousers and dyed hair
A delightful quote from there ballad entitled 'For the Punx'

one of their brilliant works contains the lyrics
together we survive- punx unite!
divided we will die- punx unite!
together we survive- punx unite!
divided we will die- unite! unite!

no divisions or tribal wars
no more fighting at thoe shows
drinking together singing songs
underground punk will be strong

Kill a hippie
kill a crusty
Kill everyone
Hippies out, out of punk

Quite obviously they are proud to be punk, otherwise they would not spend all of their income on hair gel
PROUD TO BE PUNK! WE DON'T GIVE A ****!
PROUD TO BE PUNK! WOOOOAAAHH
PROUD TO BE PUNK! WE DON'T GIVE A ****!
PROUD TO BE PUNK! UP THE PUNKS!

yes they are indeed quite coherent and revolutionary in their thoughts

But you and me hate the bands the other one likes anyways.
probaly only same band we like is propaghandi.

werty22
02-18-2008, 12:28 AM
I never actually understood The Casualties' lyrics. Those are ridiculously awful.

RockThe40oz
02-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I never actually understood The Casualties' lyrics. Those are ridiculously awful.

He forgot my favorite..

GAVE YOU LOVE, GAVE YOU HEART
WHY YOU GAVE ME BROKEN HEART?
BROKEN HEART! I WANT IT BACK!
BROKEN HEART! I GOT IT BACK!

StreetLight3989
02-18-2008, 12:56 AM
If you want to hear amazing lyrics click on the link in my sig. Dat's right I be whoring dem all ova da place.

TheAdict310
02-18-2008, 03:07 AM
but it still applies, no matter what "it usually refers to." Remember how people call green day a tr00 p0nx band? They aren't, but they are referred to as it.

If you call Flogging Molly folk-punk, you're stupid. End of story.

mike2
02-18-2008, 04:27 AM
irish music is folkish...how is it not?

TheAdict310
02-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Just listen to Ghost Mice, then listen to Flogging Molly, and tell me if you hear any similarities.

sargasm
02-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Folk punk implies being part of a certain scene with a certain social stance and all that jazz. Flogging Molly aren't really folk-punk by the most widely used sense of the term.

original=punk
02-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Everyone's definition of folk here is warped, you all think of it as the American folk movement, theres other folk genres that work with punk, and so therefore, is a combination of folk music and punk, making it folk-punk.

sargasm
02-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Literally, yes. But the term is still mostly used to describe the whole plan-it-x dumpster divin' kerouac readin' bike ridin' hippie punk scene so blah.

ss311
02-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Can anyone verify the Iggy/Casualties story?

gopherthegreat
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Can anyone verify the Iggy/Casualties story?
i looked it up and didnt find anything, so i dont think its true